wheelie bars

depends on the class you are running. some classes allow bars and others dont. if you are just going to the test and tune nights any track will allow them. if you decide to go with the bars, you are going to need a strut and a slick.

ok cool. y will i need a strut? i dont think i even need the bars the bike doesnt come up very much im just trying to please the wife . i still want to ride the bike arun town after i take the bars off so couldnt i just use a ultra soft shinko .pingel make bars u can put on an take off pretty easy i believeall u have to do is remove the right axle block an pull the axle an then remove the left block an reverse with the new brackets an u have bars .

Mine is not quite 6" either but as you can see it does not come up. If I leave it on the middle lowering link setting it will start coming up sometimes. This is WOT and clutch out at the 60ft.

Black nasty phenix 09.jpg

Black nasty phenix 09.jpg

Does your bike rub the undertail when you have it in track form? You will probably need a tiger tail in the future once you get the suspension setup for dragging.

ok cool. y will i need a strut? i dont think i even need the bars the bike doesnt come up very much im just trying to please the wife . i still want to ride the bike arun town after i take the bars off so couldnt i just use a ultra soft shinko .pingel make bars u can put on an take off pretty easy i believeall u have to do is remove the right axle block an pull the axle an then remove the left block an reverse with the new brackets an u have bars .

No you dont have do that.The connect 4 bolts. 2 of them go were your spools go on your swingarm.The other two go were your passenger brackets are.I dont have my bike here right now but if you want I will take close ups +pm them 2 you.Now the strut is kind of a beech.I had mine installed @ a shop.
you have install 2 brackets there easy.after that you can take them on+off in about 10 min.

289ljxj.jpg

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

see in the spool holes then you install a bracket right in back that passenger footpeg hanger

289ljxj.jpg

i will pm you a close up when i have my bike here.
(notice how impressed that old man is?:laugh:

IMG_4885.jpg

your going have gear it down or it will bog with the bars @ track.
been running bars on busa now for 6 years.1 down front 44 rear least 3 up rear yes stock chain will work.
IMG_6492.jpg

gear it down slip that shinko on it+bars then drop the hammer on somebody.

thats 1.51 short time
Do that then go 2 track+send somebody lookin 4 there tie downs.

NOTICE HOW I MOVED THAT TIRE BACK+FORTH?
IM NOT TRYING LOOK COOL IF DONT DO THAT YOU WILL ONLY HEAT THE CENTER.Move it around a bit =BAR-B-Q THAT SUCKER LOWER THE AIR TO 14LBS OR LESS.
DO YOUR BURN OFF IN SECOND SO YOU DONT WORK MOTOR SO MUCH

http://tinypic.com/r/2a656x0/3

289ljxj.jpg

Last edited:
flight all that looks good but my bike is a 08 an none of that stuff will work on my bike i wish it would but i have been told other wise but thks for all the help

I ran a bar on my street / drag bike a long time ago. A couple of cons to consider (or pass on to your wife)

First, many states don't allow bars on the street. I have one ticket in NY to prove it.

More importantly, you will probably have to run a strut and they stink on the street. With a strut and bars, its ulikely that you will get a shinko to hook. Most bar bikes run slicks at low pressure, and the slick provides the compliance required to keep traction on the track. Without that compliance, the bar will unload the rear tire, and you will light the tire right up. As the tire spins, the bike comes down off the bars and if it goes sideways it can get ugly if a wheelie bar wheel catches.

Unless the bike is much lower and has a slick, I would argure (to your wife) that the bar makes it less safe.

This is the best explanation of why someone would not want to use bars I have heard.
My thought before would have been, why not use bars, and take them off for the street. But, if they make the rear wheel slip, that would be a big minus.

On the other hand, there are a lot of cars that drag and use bars. Why would they not pay the same penalty? Top fuel dragsters obviously have so much weight in front, that they don't need to worry about ending pointed straight up.

Enlighten me further, please.

yea pingel said there wheelie bars will work or they said should work with my extenions they told me that the alxe blocks kind of fit alittle loose so they should fit in my since the extenions axle blocks are just a little bit smaller hopefully ill see soon wheni get them ill get up some pics

This is what it looks like when the bars break... So hold on ...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best explanation of why someone would not want to use bars I have heard.
My thought before would have been, why not use bars, and take them off for the street. But, if they make the rear wheel slip, that would be a big minus.

On the other hand, there are a lot of cars that drag and use bars. Why would they not pay the same penalty? Top fuel dragsters obviously have so much weight in front, that they don't need to worry about ending pointed straight up.

Enlighten me further, please.

Cars with bars retain rear suspension. You need rear suspension to keep the rear tire loaded. Also, many of the car bars have compliance that doesn't shock the suspension as much.

You are considering putting a solid wheelie bar and a very low profile tire with very little give. As the bike comes up, the bar will unload the rear tire unless you set the bike up like a true bar bike. A true bar bike (Top, ProStock, Funny, etc.) Has a high profile tire with low pressure (6 to 10 psi), plenty of compliance, and an 8 -12 inch huge footprint. They won't spin, but you might. A tru bar bike is also much longer and weigh much less, so the moment exerted against the bars is lower.

I ran bars on a streetbike when I was much younger, and honestly feel they are less safe for the reasons stated. They did look cool though:laugh:

IMO you don't need bars on a street bike unless you just feel like it. Unless your 60' times are down in the 1.2x area you're wasting time and money. An average rider with plenty of dragstrip experience can go low 1.5x on a stock length bike. Add a little arm and it just gets easier. As far as safer, if it makes you feel more comfortable then I guess it could be considered safer, but as stated above, if you don't set them up right it makes it worse.
I think it's absolutely hilarious to see a full on bar bike going 1.6x 60's.
Do what you gotta do to make your racing experience fun for you, but the bottom line is that it's your bike, so none of our opinions matter.

Make the wife happy so you can go out and play~!~

Personally I like letting it fly high...Think I'd put the wheely bars on that John Deer though~!~

Back