Wheelie Bar Yes or No

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys I was wondering about how to set-up the rear suspension when installing a Wheelie Bar?

I have heard from some people that you should put a solid strut in the rear if you are going to use a wheelie bar; why is this?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am prepping for racing this year and I want to learn as much as I can. For this year I am running a local beginners calss but once I move into the Pro Bike class I want to install a wheelie bar to be able to be somewhat competitive.

You must run a strut with bars because if you run a shock it will load and when the bars hit the back tire will come off the ground and that is very dangerous.

IMO I would leave the bars alone and think about extending the swingarm some, as long as you can ride you don't need them. I bracket race bar bikes all the time and never have a problem being competitive.
cool.gif

IF YOUR GOING BRACKET RACING I WOUD GET THEM.AS FAR AS KNOWING HOW 2 RIDE I THINK STEVE JOHNSON+ LARRY MCBRIDE RIDE OK.WERE I RACE THEY DONT PLAY AROUND MOST ARE RUNNING CAR TIRE BIKES WITH CROSSOVER DELAY BARS ECT CROSS OVERDELAY IS THE NORM. CUT WORSE THAN O.20 LIGHT AND RUN OFF BYE A FEW AND YOUR TRAILERED. I GO TO RACE TO WIN NOT IMPRESS ANYBODY IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE WITH THE $$ BETTER GET THEM.THE STRUT KIND OF A MUTHA TO INSTALL I HAD SHOP DO MINE NEED A HOIST I THINK LITTLE ROUGH ON STREET BUT CAN DO IF CAREFULL I DO AT LEAST

A strut is out of the question for me I just don't like limiting the bike to only one thing. Lengthening really doesn't appeal to me either so if I want to move to the pro bike class I will have to reconsider my options.

Another questions is car guys don't use solid struts and they have wheelie bars so why can't you use wheelie bars with a shock or is it no one has figured out how to do it yet?

Steve, give me a call I can get you in touch with a local friend of mine! Racing PMRA for years......... Can answer all of your questions!

Check out the fastest stock length bike (60" class). Team ECS, ran the first 8 second pass in west coast competition. They ran several record setting, 8 second passes and established a new west coast record, breaking their previous record of a 9.03 et at 156mph, with a new, 8.65et at 160mph, west coast record. All on a Hayabusa with stock length swing arm and no wheelie bars.
ECS

why can't you use wheelie bars with a shock or is it no one has figured out how to do it yet?

you could prob do it but would work better with he strut

A strut is out of the question for me I just don't like limiting the bike to only one thing.  Lengthening really doesn't appeal to me either so if I want to move to the pro bike class I will have to reconsider my options.

Another questions is car guys don't use solid struts and they have wheelie bars so why can't you use wheelie bars with a  shock or is it no one has figured out how to do it yet?
THE WHEELIE BARS ON CARS GIVE AWAY VIA A SHOCK. A BIKE HAS SOLID WHEELIE BARS WITH NO GIVE.

LEAVE THE BIKE ALONE AND GO RACE. MY HOME TRACK HAS 20 BIKES A WEEK AND NOT 1 STREETBIKE WITH WHEELIE BARS. AND WE OWNED 8 OF THE TOP TEN SPOTS IN POINTS FOR THE YEAR.

MORE SEAT TIME WILL BRING YOU CONSISTANCY, AND BEFORE YOU GO BARS THERE ARE OTHER ALTERNATIVES ALSO.

IF YOUR GOING BRACKET RACING I WOUD GET THEM.AS FAR AS KNOWING HOW 2 RIDE I THINK STEVE JOHNSON+ LARRY MCBRIDE RIDE OK.WERE I RACE THEY DONT PLAY AROUND MOST ARE RUNNING CAR TIRE BIKES WITH CROSSOVER DELAY BARS ECT CROSS OVERDELAY IS THE NORM. CUT WORSE THAN O.20 LIGHT AND RUN OFF BYE A FEW AND YOUR TRAILERED. I GO TO RACE TO WIN NOT IMPRESS ANYBODY IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE WITH THE $$ BETTER GET THEM.THE STRUT KIND OF A MUTHA TO INSTALL I HAD SHOP DO MINE NEED A HOIST I THINK LITTLE ROUGH ON STREET BUT CAN DO IF CAREFULL I DO AT LEAST
Well why not tell us what kind of times you run on your busa with the bars?

A strut is out of the question for me I just don't like limiting the bike to only one thing.  Lengthening really doesn't appeal to me either so if I want to move to the pro bike class I will have to reconsider my options.

Another questions is car guys don't use solid struts and they have wheelie bars so why can't you use wheelie bars with a  shock or is it no one has figured out how to do it yet?
THE WHEELIE BARS ON CARS GIVE AWAY VIA A SHOCK. A BIKE HAS SOLID WHEELIE BARS WITH NO GIVE.

LEAVE THE BIKE ALONE AND GO RACE. MY HOME TRACK HAS 20 BIKES A WEEK AND NOT 1 STREETBIKE WITH WHEELIE BARS. AND WE OWNED 8 OF THE TOP TEN SPOTS IN POINTS FOR THE YEAR.

MORE SEAT TIME WILL BRING YOU CONSISTANCY, AND BEFORE YOU GO BARS THERE ARE OTHER ALTERNATIVES ALSO.
Exactly My local track is the same way every year, we have 20-30 bikes a week. Half of them are drag bikes ( bars, slicks, starter carts, ect) and every year it's 6-9 street bikes in the top 10 in the years final points. Like I said if you practice and learn to race the bike you can be both consistant and fast without bars.

Hey guys I was wondering about how to set-up the rear suspension when installing a Wheelie Bar?

I have heard from some people that you should put a solid strut in the rear if you are going to use a wheelie bar; why is this?  

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am prepping for racing this year and I want to learn as much as I can.  For this year I am running a local beginners calss but once I move into the Pro Bike class I want to install a wheelie bar to be able to be somewhat competitive.
WHY LET OTHERS DECIDE HOW TO RACE? JUST DO WHAT YOU WANT.

if yo uare going to et race u should have bars and a delay box, those are two ways to being more competitive with the guys on drag chassis with car tires:

Check out the fastest stock length bike (60" class).  Team ECS, ran the first 8 second pass in west coast competition. They ran several record setting, 8 second passes and established a new west coast record, breaking their previous record of a 9.03 et at 156mph, with a new, 8.65et at 160mph, west coast record. All on a Hayabusa with stock length swing arm and no wheelie bars.
ECS
Yeah my partner Joe England ran 8.59 at 164 with 60in at SAC on motor and the guys ecs were there.

Check out the fastest stock length bike (60" class).  Team ECS, ran the first 8 second pass in west coast competition. They ran several record setting, 8 second passes and established a new west coast record, breaking their previous record of a 9.03 et at 156mph, with a new, 8.65et at 160mph, west coast record. All on a Hayabusa with stock length swing arm and no wheelie bars.
ECS
Yeah my partner Joe England ran 8.59 at 164 with 60in at SAC on motor and the guys ecs were there.
That just goes to show... it can be done on the stock swingarm without extensions... just need to slam it and bring a good tire.

Back