Wheelbase, Weight, Horsepower, Riding Skill...

Busa_Cee

Registered
Sorry guys i didnt know where to post this cause my questions probably will cover alot of areas. First off a little about me. I've been around bike and riding ever since i can remember. i've owned some 6's and 750's ( sold my 01 7R last year ) largest street bike i've rode was a 900RR. im 5'10" 170.

i've always been attracted to the bigger cc bikes for the power and the stability, RC51, TL1000R, Busa, but now they're making lighter bikes with power.

i consider myself the all around rider. i like to cruise, race, and carve. i've been trying to compare specs and noticed that the busa is only like 3 inches longer in the wheelbase area than like the gixxer 1k and others. is this really a big deal? the busa is like a 100lbs more than other bikes i've looked at... is this a big deal?

a lot of people say get a lighter bike cause they're better in the twisties, is this really true? cause i consider myself to be a pretty good rider. my 01 7R was over 400lbs and for me to get took in the twisties it would be from lack of hp. which brings me to another question. how could pretty much the fastest bike on the streets not be the fastest in the turns too? i know weight has a big part to play but i cant picture a busa out front being overtaken by a lighter bike with probably less hp.

im not a pro but want to do some track time and i also like to take trips back home to cali when i can. im pretty sure the busa will be all the bike i need and some :devil:.

dood the 03 gixxer only has like 5 hp less than the busa but its a 100 pounds lighter, the questions you pose really depend on tire compounds and rider ability, there is a UK video out there that shows two riders with equal skills riding gixxer 1k and busa in the twisties, the busa was in the lead for most of the vid. in the straights the gixxer keeps up in the 1/4 mile, but the busa will pull after that. next year look for a particular 750 to be keeping up in the 1/4, and embarrasing some new liter bikes as well...

dood the 03 gixxer only has like 5 hp less than the busa but its a 100 pounds lighter, the questions you pose really depend on tire compounds and rider ability, there is a UK video out there that shows two riders with equal skills riding gixxer 1k and busa in the twisties, the busa was in the lead for most of the vid.  in the straights the gixxer keeps up in the 1/4 mile, but the busa will pull after that. next year look for a particular 750 to be keeping up in the 1/4, and embarrasing some new liter bikes as well...
so then with skills and good tires a busa cant be beat? :) i guess what im trying to get at is there a bike out there that can see the busa off or on the track (outside of pro racing), on the streets and in the canyons. oh and in stock form... well with the exception of a mild drop on the busa :).

I would say skills pay the bills,I have passed lighter bikes in the twisties.I also will say that if I had a lighter bike I might pass a BUSA in the twisties,I think its a matter of skills but in a given circumstance on tight road the bike better equipted for that type riding will prevail.The BUSA was built to be the fastest bike on the planet everything else that comes along with it is a pleasnt surprise but the bike can handle.

um ask cookie for the NAME of the video, I havnt seen it online, it was a VHS tape we saw, but I do remember the gixxer lost it in a left cuz the busa was tryin to ride up the tailpipe, they also have a fireblade in the vid but it simply cant hang wit the zooks. I think at the end they do some top end and 1/4 mile stuff with radar guns? cookie is that right, the one we saw at baily's house?

Ok, we'll all meet at Bailey's house this evening to see it. I'll need the address and a list of what to bring for the party. :D

The Busa is capable the real question is the rider. It is longer and heavier than the others but once moving most of that vanishes, So I agree with the others for the most part, with one caveat. I fthe road is real tight, switchbacks, 15-25 mph corners, than a good rider on a smaller lighter bike will proly hand you your ass. I am thinking like the Dragon or some similar road where it is real tight for the most part. I mean you prolly wouldn't get left completely but the smaller bikes should hold an edge...

what the busa lacks in cornering, you can make up for in anything resembling a strait, including sweepers.

once you get in front, its nearly impossible for smaller bikes to pass you.

i call it the "bully" effect, its very effective.

It’s about the compromises you are willing to take. In the hands of a skilled rider the busa is very tough to beat. It will also give you a much more comfortable ride on a longer trip. I ride both. In very tight stuff the small bike feels best, on the track the busa is a hand full. Many riders come up to me and question just the same. Recently, rode with a few guys at the track on liter bikes. We diced it up in the twisties but it wore me out, as we exited the chicane on to the high bank straight I pull them with no problamo. Exiting turn two they are back on my ass. Every straight I pull, every turn they seem to gain a little. Also ran for a few laps with a track marshal on a GSXR 1000 as the session ended and we exited he passes with a big grin and thumbs up. Love the busa, but quite honestly, the liter bike more fun at the track and propably your best choice. Busa best all around bike for what you describe.

Ok, guys, I’m back off the pain meds. Surgery scheduled for later this month. Herniated disc level 6 and broken trans-processor. Ten years of MX has taken its toll. Wife said I’ve been a bit irritable lately. You guys may agree, she tells me to chill! No need to reply, I don’t want to change the point of this tread.

;)

Sorry guys i didnt know where to post this cause my questions probably will cover alot of areas. First off a little about me. I've been around bike and riding ever since i can remember. i've owned some 6's and 750's ( sold my 01 7R last year ) largest street bike i've rode was a 900RR. im 5'10" 170.

i've always been attracted to the bigger cc bikes for the power and the stability, RC51, TL1000R, Busa, but now they're making lighter bikes with power.

i consider myself the all around rider. i like to cruise, race, and carve. i've been trying to compare specs and noticed that the busa is only like 3 inches longer in the wheelbase area than like the gixxer 1k and others. is this really a big deal? the busa is like a 100lbs more than other bikes i've looked at... is this a big deal?

a lot of people say get a lighter bike cause they're better in the twisties, is this really true? cause i consider myself to be a pretty good rider. my 01 7R was over 400lbs and for me to get took in the twisties it would be from lack of hp. which brings me to another question. how could pretty much the fastest bike on the streets not be the fastest in the turns too? i know weight has a big part to play but i cant picture a busa out front being overtaken by a lighter bike with probably less hp.

im not a pro but want to do some track time and i also like to take trips back home to cali when i can. im pretty sure the busa will be all the bike i need and some :devil:.
<marquee>welcome</marquee>quote=Busa_Cee,Nov. 09 2003,4:42]

<marquee>Depends on how you like to ride.</marquee>  I have a stock wheel base with 310hp.  I have kept it stock so it serves me all around

<marquee>Depends a lot on the rider, however many less powered lighter bikes can catch or pass the Busa in the turns, unless you have a skilled rider.</marquee>

<marquee>It will be much more then you need.</marquee>[/quote]

Back