wheel time

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Looking for wheels for the busa. I have decided on forged aluminum. Not completely sold on CF and my go to shops say they don't want to change tires on CF wheels. Too many issues. Magnesium is brittle, and I don't see the point, why not just do CF?

Looks like Marchesini is pretty hard to get these days. Don't trust CZ. any other recommendations? Would consider any price if it's what I want. I hate bling though. Has to be stealthy high function.

What about Rotoblox(spelling??)
They Are cf, but have a stainless steel wire bead molded into the wheel lips, in the cf itself.
Supposedly for strength, and impact against things like potholes.
If I'm not mistaken, there are new model bst's with that style bead too.
Is it MarkEvo3 that has Rotoblox on his gen2??
I think the Toad is up and up on new cf wheel tech as well.
I considered bst's years back, but changed my mind after seeing a couple break from potholes, I think BigDev broke a front bst that way.
But now, with reinforced beads, I would seriously consider them again.

OZ but their customer service is subpar.
CZ really hit a home run with me on tech talk a few months ago

We have had some pretty bad posts on CZ wheels here on the org. There are tuners that won't use them due to manufacturing issues. I do like the wheels though. Would be interested in what in the tech talk got your attention.

Still looking at OZ.

It's very difficult to get real honest reviews of wheels. First your riding style/surface is important. Second your weight and the bike's weight - combined. I am told that magnesium is very light but brittle, so a lot of vibration and feedback from them. CF is stiff but compliant relative to the magnesium, so less feedback and vibration but they are not as strong as forged aluminum. CF can also be damaged easier by stuff like wheel changes. Forged Aluminum seems to be the best street abuse. Strong, hearty, pretty light.

Right now the Busa handles perfectly for my riding. It goes exactly where I want it to go, turn in is neutral, she likes tire pressures between 30-40 psi, and the bike does not require a lot of baby sitting as it's super stable. So I'm a little afraid of super light wheels tipping the character over to being twitchy. I even felt the 55 series tire made the bike twitchy! So you could say maybe I don't need wheels at all then. And I would say but we're not discussing needs we're discussing wants! (yes, I discussed a wheel purchase with the boss!) Those of you with CF any thoughts? Too quick maybe?

So, all out performance/weight it's carbon fiber. High power racing maybe magnesium? Street is aluminum, forged aluminum being the best. Any thoughts on this welcome.

Ahh no. Ive just heard good things about them. There was a thread on here a while back talking about wheels. I had asked about cush drive longevity with the aftermarket wheels.

I would think the cush drives would last longer in aftermarket wheels, with less resistance/mass to get moving.

We have had some pretty bad posts on CZ wheels here on the org. There are tuners that won't use them due to manufacturing issues. I do like the wheels though. Would be interested in what in the tech talk got your attention.

Still looking at OZ.

It's very difficult to get real honest reviews of wheels. First your riding style/surface is important. Second your weight and the bike's weight - combined. I am told that magnesium is very light but brittle, so a lot of vibration and feedback from them. CF is stiff but compliant relative to the magnesium, so less feedback and vibration but they are not as strong as forged aluminum. CF can also be damaged easier by stuff like wheel changes. Forged Aluminum seems to be the best street abuse. Strong, hearty, pretty light.

Right now the Busa handles perfectly for my riding. It goes exactly where I want it to go, turn in is neutral, she likes tire pressures between 30-40 psi, and the bike does not require a lot of baby sitting as it's super stable. So I'm a little afraid of super light wheels tipping the character over to being twitchy. I even felt the 55 series tire made the bike twitchy! So you could say maybe I don't need wheels at all then. And I would say but we're not discussing needs we're discussing wants! (yes, I discussed a wheel purchase with the boss!) Those of you with CF any thoughts? Too quick maybe?

So, all out performance/weight it's carbon fiber. High power racing maybe magnesium? Street is aluminum, forged aluminum being the best. Any thoughts on this welcome.
HI. DME uses them on his race bikes. They are very strong. I have used Mag all the way back to the 70 s on my F 5000 Lola On my ZX10 my ZX11 I allso have set on the busa now. I had a set of Domenaters on the 11 they were as light or lighter than CF The front did crack in Fl. back in 2000 but that was the only problem I have ever had. I have 2 sets of Dymag CF they are on a Gen 1 Call if you like 774-496-5680.

Here is a set cheep

4E9CA97A-88E3-4B5C-A5AA-71C813BA8569.png

From the experience of trusted friends .
lighter wheels do not make a bike twichy but they do make it more responsive which is not the same thing Also marginally faster in both acceleration and braking . But you buy them for the handling . I would think but do not know that anything as long as a busa should not be all that twichy by just installing wheelsmfwiw

I suppose twitchy is in the eye of the beholder. With the 55 series tires, the bike rolls from side to side with less effort. I found myself having to reduce my steering input as I missed where I wanted to put the bike in the turns. I'm sure I could get used to this and make good use of it over time. I suppose I could use the OEM rims all the time and put the lighter rims on for track (assuming I ever get back to the track.

I think some of the CZ fears are not valid due to the end users not choosing the correct product for their application . Example = Grudge bike no rear brake rotor on a high HP bike destroys a CZ wheel . What if that wheel had previously crashed ? A stress fracture in the wheel was induced , but we do not know .
I have seen photos , and stories on many brands of aftermarket wheels . BST included . Dymag with retaining air issues so poorly on CF they were losing 5 to 6 psi in a day .
It is hard to really know because 1000 at a boys , and ONE ah sh%t wipes them out . With forums postings they can affect a company's reputation greatly .
CZ took the time to talk with me on aspects of their wheels from bearing life, axle torque ,and cush drive design for my touring needs . It would be great to afford BST wheels , but in reality other xyz brand do a good job too .
OZ are beautiful , but since they wouldn't answer emails with questions about their wheels , or return a call several years ago im going to say product support might be less than others . OZ makes more automotive wheels than bike .

I do know a lot of riders that have run Oz Racing wheels , both on the street and track work only bikes . The quality is very good by all reports , and I personally would definitely consider the aluminum version , and rate highly for streetbike .
The BST 's , well there are risks I guess , but I again personally feel that the risk is acceptable , etc .
The Dymag Carbon aren't made the same way as the BST , and are almost hand made , but also must share the inherent risks accociated with carbon wheels .
Galespeed , are Japanese company , the quality is good from what I have checked out on line research , if the price was good , I would consider them .
I have had many years experience riding streetbikes with magnesium wheels , all my bikes from early 90's onward have all been fitted with this type of race wheel , except the Busa with carbons . The wheels were either Marvic or Marchesini , and never had any problems with any sets .
The Rotobox wheels ( latest version ) are said to be very good , as they started out with some quality control issues , and the finish of the outer rim surface is far better than older BST .

Back