Wheel removal

Bike382

Registered
2002 Busa fully stock

What size is the rear axle nut?
What size is the front axle (allen style)?

Thanks,

The Hayabusa front axle design changed on the 2002 models. Axle removal requires a 24mm Allen wrench inserted INTO the axle. If you can't find a 24mm hex tool, a simple substitute is to use a metric bolt with a 24mm head and two nuts tightly jammed together on the bolt. Use "high-strength" or "permanent" thread locking compound to keep the nuts secure. The bolts and nuts are available at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. for about $3. The rear axle nut is 36mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
hope this helps, I wanna say 24mm but not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
tounge.gif

Thanks guys. My dad just called and I didn't know the answer off the top of my head.

He is starting his prep work for the May races at Maxton. Look out, a Baptist preacher on a Busa.

Woohoo
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys.  My dad just called and I didn't know the answer off the top of my head.

He is starting his prep work for the May races at Maxton.  Look out, a Baptist preacher on a Busa.  

Woohoo  
biggrin.gif
Right on, bro. Live the dream. Lets see the father and son team break 200mph in May!

Hey you guys, I made me a much nicer axle tool. I welded a 24mm metric nut on the end of an 18mm allen wrench (one of the big ones). Now I have a tool that fits in my tool pouch on the bike. Real simple and inexpensive to do. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks...

Brian

I like that idea bacharles. Very creative. You should bring your busa to the track so you can
ride that mutha till the wheels fall off.

GNT, funny you should mention that because 200 mph on the same weekend is exactly what our goal for May is. Wheel see (pun intended)
biggrin.gif

Hey you guys, I made me a much nicer axle tool.  I welded a 24mm metric nut on the end of an 18mm allen wrench (one of the big ones).  Now I have a tool that fits in my tool pouch on the bike.  Real simple and inexpensive to do.   Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks...

Brian
Oh yeah, and I use a 36mm socket and breaker bar for the rear wheel. Works like a charm. I really hate the onboard tool used for the rear wheel. Maybe I can use it to blow bubbles or some poop like that...
laugh.gif

Brian

I like that idea bacharles.  Very creative.  You should bring your busa to the track so you can
ride that mutha till the wheels fall off.

GNT, funny you should mention that because 200 mph on the same weekend is exactly what our goal for May is.  Wheel see (pun intended)  
biggrin.gif
BTW, pretty cool your dad rides a Busa. Uhhh.. my dad had a Vespa in the 60's while going to school in Switzerland. Vespa... Busa hey what's the difference. I must say he has taken my bike for a few spins. Surprised how well he could ride.

Back