wheel bearings...

cache

Banned
I have a new wheel, wheel bearings, and seals.

which way do the bearings go in? how far do I press them in?

Help please!
biggrin.gif

You will need the spacers from your old wheel. You should be able to press them in until they hit the shoulder in the wheel. Do one then put the spacer in then put the other bearing in. The seals should bottom out on the bearings. To get the spacer out of the other wheel use a screwdriver to push it all of the way to one side and pound on edge of bearing then move spacer to opposite side and pound on bearing again. You will need a long punch to catch the edge of the bearing. Keep working your way around until bearing comes out. BUT the Suzuki shop in the area should have a special tool that may help you. I did them myself but you may want to get them done.

I have a new wheel, wheel bearings, and seals.

which way do the bearings go in? how far do I press them in?

Help please!  
biggrin.gif
O.K. Cache,

Here we go. Since the bearings are open faced (means that you can actually see the little balls), it really doesn't matter which way you put them in. Just be careful not to bend them. You should be able to put your finger inside the bearing and be able to turn it easily. Also, make sure that you re-pack the bearing with grease (by hand). The best tool that I have used to put bearings in is a rubber mallet. Works great. Just make sure that you keep the bearing as level as possible so as not to warp it. A good idea would be to put a small block of wood (preferrably 2X4) over the top of the bearing while slammin' it home.

Brian

You can probably forget the re-packing thing. I re-read your post and you said that you have new bearing also. Is this correct?
rock.gif
I thought that you were using the bearings from the old wheel, so just scratch what I said before.

Brian

I wouldnt hammer on them that way personally .I've seen my boy using a  $99 hydraulic press purhased from harbor tools and frieght check them out online.

d00d cache take those to a place that has the proper tools to mount them. I wouldnt take ANY chances with wheel bearings. I would take them to a shop and let them press them in

Mike

Hey guys, I do understand the sentiments, but let's not scare Cache into thinking that this job takes rocket science to do. It's really not a hard job at all. If you take your time, you won't have any problems at all. Trust me, I have done this a million times. Now, on the other hand, I've never felt very comfortable taking them out. That's where most problems occur. I usually have the professionals with the right tools do this job, but as far as putting them in...it's fairly simple. That's my .02 and I'm stickin' to it.

Brian

thanx guys, I took it to work sunday, and used the press they have in the shop. I did it with no hitches!

put new bearings in the new xtra wheel I got for my drag tire. sweet!!!

p.s. - bacha, hard to scare me when it comes to nuts and bolts... i still are a certified wrench!
biggrin.gif

Back