Wheel Bearing Questions

Ham

Registered
Hi i am looking to get my wheels powder coated over the winter and would like to know average price for wheel bearing installation. Good brand name of replacement bearing and is this something that the average diy could do.

If anyone has done this

I haven't done the busa yet. Just installed new bearings in the Harley 2 weeks ago. Have also done countless dirt bike wheels. Can do them with a drift pin, hammer, and big socket. You cold also pick up a cheap bearing tool on ebay for less than a hundred dollars.

Hi i am looking to get my wheels powder coated over the winter and would like to know average price for wheel bearing installation. Good brand name of replacement bearing and is this something that the average diy could do.

If anyone has done this
I've had the front bearings done on my 06 bike before. didn't do it myself but I watched . didn't appear difficult or time consuming

Reactions: Ham
In my '01, I have all balls bearings; the removal is a bit of a pain, but it just requires a hammer/mallet and drift - the install can be with a large diameter socket or a bearing press tool (a rod with nuts and washers that seats the bearing as it pulls through. You do have to lube the bearing well and make sure that it is fully seated. If you use a socket, you just have to be careful not to beat the hell out of the actual bearings... I have powder coated two seats of wheels for Gen Is; the bearings was a breeze compared to the actual powder coating. I love the way that they look, but I will never do it myself again (the powder coating)...

I've done my wheel when I originally had them powdercoated. I made my own rod bearing press tool with some all-thread, washers and nuts. It was more of a pain to get originals out than new ones in, but wasn't hard at all since you don't care about messing up old bearings.

In my '01, I have all balls bearings; the removal is a bit of a pain, but it just requires a hammer/mallet and drift - the install can be with a large diameter socket or a bearing press tool (a rod with nuts and washers that seats the bearing as it pulls through. You do have to lube the bearing well and make sure that it is fully seated. If you use a socket, you just have to be careful not to beat the hell out of the actual bearings... I have powder coated two seats of wheels for Gen Is; the bearings was a breeze compared to the actual powder coating. I love the way that they look, but I will never do it myself again (the powder coating)...
how are the all balls bearings compared to the oem bearings

The All Balls are ok, they come as complete kits, for the front and rear, Bearings and seals.

Quality wise they are comparable. I have installed dozens and dozens of them. No real complaints.

The All Balls are ok, they come as complete kits, for the front and rear, Bearings and seals.

Quality wise they are comparable. I have installed dozens and dozens of them. No real complaints.

I've used All Balls bearings in many 4wheeler wheels, swingarms, axles, and crankshafts and transmissions.
Never a failure or any issues.
Good parts, cheap prices.

I just replaced my front wheel bearings after 36K miles: they were toast. It is not a difficult job to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. I would suggest that you spend more and get good bearings, preferably of Japanese origin. I have replaced a lot of bearings on my bikes over the years and that is one item I will not skimp on. For the most part, when buying a bearing, you get what you pay for.

I just replaced my front wheel bearings after 36K miles: they were toast. It is not a difficult job to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. I would suggest that you spend more and get good bearings, preferably of Japanese origin. I have replaced a lot of bearings on my bikes over the years and that is one item I will not skimp on. For the most part, when buying a bearing, you get what you pay for.
i just went on and ordered the oem ones. Mine are not bad i'm just getting my wheels power coated thats all

What did OEM cost you and from where?
total was $93 amazon seller Direct line superstore(2 bearings) Ebay seller suncoastcyclesports (seals) and Partzilla (2 bearings)
tried to save money. Dealer wanted $180 for everything

I like partzilla but there shipping prices can be crazy.

Going for these

blue wheels.jpg

I've heard that if you place the bearings in the freezer and heat the rim alittle that the bearings go in easier . Anyone try this?

I always put new bearings in the freezer.
Sometimes I heat what bearings go into as well, depending on what it is.
It helps a lot.
I also always use a press to put bearings in,
or a threaded rod to pull them in.

Back