What's wrong?!

Jonah1500

Registered
Hello from the UK!

Been having some problems lately and wanted some opinions.

From the research I've been doing, seems like fuel pump or TPS

I seem to be having quite a bad stuttering problem at low RPM's and a surge of power when pulling off

When I accelerate I feel like I'm twisting the throttle and after half a second or so the bike will gain its power and surge although I'm progressively twisting

The other issue I have is.. When I go round roundabouts, or some sweeping bends, when I roll on the power (not hugely but just progressive as normal) it's as if I'm not twisting at all and have come off the power throttle completely. After straightening up, the bike will sort itself out very quickly and away I go.

Cruising speeds of 30 40+ and the bike has no issues whatsoever.

Below these speeds, the bike is fairly uncomfortable to ride :(

I've recently had the fuel pipes replaced as the previous owners installed aftermarket ones which were far too long and kept kinking.

Hayabusa (obviously)
40k miles
Injectors cleaned when fuel pipes were replaced
New spark plugs
New chain and sprocket

Let me know if you need any more info to help :)

Welcome!
As Six said above, fuel pump is the very first place to start.
It's an external pump on the 1999 and 2000 models, I have a 1999 model and have been there, done that!
There are some very good threads on how to service the pump here on the org, with lots of pics and step by step instructions.
Let us know how you go with this, also please post pics of you and your bike!
We are a friendly and helpful crew here too.

The other issue I have is.. When I go round roundabouts, or some sweeping bends, when I roll on the power (not hugely but just progressive as normal) it's as if I'm not twisting at all and have come off the power throttle completely. After straightening up, the bike will sort itself out very quickly and away I go.

Cruising speeds of 30 40+ and the bike has no issues whatsoever.

Below these speeds, the bike is fairly uncomfortable to ride :(

Binding throttle cable maybe. Do the rpms jump in neutral when you turn the handlebars? Maybe play with the adjustments before anything else. Especially since you issues are only at low speed. A clogged fuel filter or failing pump would get worse the faster the bike goes I would think (increased load) Also ck the TPS.

Welcome!
As Six said above, fuel pump is the very first place to start.
It's an external pump on the 1999 and 2000 models, I have a 1999 model and have been there, done that!
There are some very good threads on how to service the pump here on the org, with lots of pics and step by step instructions.
Let us know how you go with this, also please post pics of you and your bike!
We are a friendly and helpful crew here too.
I've seen quite a few threads and the fuel pump seems to keep popping up:(
I'll browse the forums and see if I can find a step by step guide!
Attached a photo!
Thanks very much

Screenshot_20190406-111025_Facebook.jpg

Welcome to the .org, that sucks. Beautiful bike. I agree with fellow org members, I would start shortlisting probable causes, from small to big.
1) Lot of times it’s bad fuel ⛽️ so drain the tank and check for rust or something, there are products that can treat that. 93 and up octane only I would recommend.
2) Throttle cable is probably bad and needs replaced. Do assessment by moving handle bar while parked and in neutral and rev it.
3) Bad fuel pump.
4) find out if the ecu was ever flashed, you’ve an aftermarket exhaust, do you’ve a power commander? And if so does it have proper map to support the exhaust upgrade. Can be found on powercommander website and you can download it. Or you can get it dyno tuned at a local dyno shop.
Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Back