Whats wrong with Honda?

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I have seen many posts saying how the R1, ZX-10, and of course the K5/K6 are running on our tails and sometimes the other way around. Thing is, I don't recall ever seeing a post about the Honda 1000RR. Are they that much slower than the other liter bikes or do we simply not know any owners of one?

maybe they should change their catch phrase to Follow the leaders there on a Suzuki or Kawi or Yami
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

they don't make the best numbers... simple as that.

most articles you read about the 1000rr just say it's so stable, and so predictable that it's not as "scary fast" as the others..

I dunno.. they look good though.

They are not the fastest. But I think they may be the most refined and well built. I know my Blackbirds are very smooth and solid. And very predictable. They just feel good to ride. But they don't have the brute power my Busa has. That's the tradeoff.

David

not the fastest but the are very balanced and esy to ride. you dont have to be the on the fastest bike to win a race, just win it in the corners.

They should be a little better for 06. They changed quit a bit on it via less weight and more power. I don't know if it will hang with the GSXR1k but it will be greatly improved!
wink.gif

They should be a little better for 06.  They changed quit a bit on it via less weight and more power.  I don't know if it will hang with the GSXR1k but it will be greatly improved!
wink.gif
according to the one at the track Thursday night ... no. it looked brand spanking new but can't swear that it was an 06. It could have been the rider though. I know I've got a ways to go as far as representing the Busa correctly on the strip so I can't rag on the rider OR the bike but it was new and it didn't beat anything I saw it race.

What kind of times did it run? It's hard to tell even then since most bikes at the track aren't stock anyway....
blush.gif

Well I actually have a lot to say on this topic because my best riding buddy has an 04 1000RR and we have went at it QUITE a few times. Now this is not a very fair assesment because the size difference between is is VERY drastic but the bikes are modded just about the same way. I will list all our details here for you guys to pick apart.

Him- 2004 1000RR with a Yoshimura RS5 Slip on exhaust, BMC air filter, and a PC3 Usb power commander. Stock tires. He is about 5'8 and about 180-190. Been riding for 19 years.

Me- 2003 GXS1300R with Yoshimura RS3 stainless slip ons race baffle, Marble Mod, Pilot Power tires, PC3 usb power commander but I am running the stock air filter. I am 6'2 and 300 lbs even. I have been riding for 3 years.

Now that you guys know the situations here is what I have found when we are going at it. I feel that the CBR is a very underrated motorcycle. When it comes to the twisties he can pick me apart. I am sorry I am not a crappy rider but the Busa is just a monster to rail through the corners. It handles well don't get me wrong but the CBR is just a lot more flickable. Acceleration wise (in our case remember the size difference) my busa usually gets a small lead on him in first, then slightly more in 2nd, now right after I hit 3rd he will pull up and begin to pass me, 4th he has about a car links distance ahead and then slowly I start to reel him in at about 140mph, then after that I start walking on away from him but not by a DRASTIC length. So basically we are about even until we get to the top end of the speed band and then its like his bike gets a little weaker in producing power than mine does. Now I have rode his CBR before and my actual hands on experience with the bike was this......

It was a very smooth bike. Acceleration was right on, tranny shifted smooth, not as much foot peg vibration as mine (my busa vibrates the SHID outta my feet), Very flickable, and I did not care for the riding position. Very forward angled and I don't like that. Now here is what totally turns me off about the CBR. I have done services with him on the bike and put a couple mods on it with him. This bike SUCKS to work on. Everything is a pain in the arse and NOTHING is conviently set up. The only thing I like better about his bike compared to ours is the idle adjuster is located without propping the tank or removing anything. Other than that even changing the oil is pain. Overall I would give this bike about a 90% out of 100 grade and it would be 95% if the maintenance wasn't such a pain. Also the only other thing I don't like is a VERY uncomfortable seat. Great bike though.

I loved my 04 Cbr. If I didn't like busa so much would have waited for the '06 CBR to come out instead of the Busa. Cbr you lean forward more but the grips are not as far a reach as the busa so it is easy to keep your weight of your wrist. To me the Cbr did feel quicker(not faster then the busa) but that is more just the way the power is delivered. Should be interesting to see how the '06 performs when it comes out after the first of the year.
The biggest draw back to the Honda is the plank they call a seat. You get kinda use to it but after 300 miles or so you can't feel your arse anymore. The busa's seat feels like a Lazyboy next to it.

He is about 5'8 and about 180-190. Been riding for 19 years.

I am 6'2 and 300 lbs even. I have been riding for 3 years.
That right there tells the hole storey.

If you are still pulling on him with over 100lbs. difference, something is VERY wrong.
Well like I said its not like my bike stomps his it's just on top speed it seems to have a very slight edge. Then again I seem to be more of a gutsy speed nut sometimes to he may not wanna be pushing it so hard.

"Honda: not as fast, built to last" ;)

Nice write up bb69. yeah, it's aways rated 4th behind the other three manufacturers, but only by half second or so. I mean really now, ALL these liter tree-darts are super fast and awesome achivements in physics and technology. The magazine scores puts Honda at the end of the list [usually] but it is STILL fast.

10's 11's in the 1/4? Nuttin wrong with that!
http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/#honda

Back