What's too many miles?

mkjc211

Registered
Just sold my TL1000R and looking for a used busa. Found a great deal on a 2000, but it has 47k? Is this just too many miles?

Not if it was maintained. Does the seller have records? Welcome to the oRg!

I just crossed 45,000 miles on my '05 today. Have a summer of abuse in the twisited and on the track planned for her. If they maintained her, 47,000 will still give you alot of good miles. But make sure the price reflects the milage. You'll probably be putting some money into a valve adjustment and some sensors if they haven't already been done.

Yes the seller has all the maintenance records. it runs really well and for $4500 its and awesome price. I was just checking on the mileage. Or do you guys think i should just spend some more and get one with under 20k? Thanks Guys!!!!

I would be more concerned about how it was treated then the mi. A bike with 10k mi. could be in worse shape than one with 45k mi.
beerchug.gif

I wouldn't let the mileage scare you off if you know how the bike was treated and maintained. An abused bike with < 20K miles may be more problems than this one at almost 50K. Things to check on since the service records are available.
Have the valves been adjusted, if so at what mileage?
If they did the valves, did they replace the cam chain?
Has the clutch been replaced, if so at what mileage.

Other then the normal maintenance items, these are the things you'll be looking at having to do in the near future if they haven't already been done. Also, make sure the recalls have been done. If the bike has that many miles they were most likely done.

OR OR OR OR ooooo me me me my turn just buy a new one if you ae so concerned about the Issue!!
just my $.02
lurk.gif

I was going to say that i dont buy over 7k miles. They recommend a engine rebuild at like 29k miles or something. I took my last bike engine zx9 apart at 17k and the piston sleves where pretty worn and needed honing.

tounge.gif
Pooy...29K for a rebuild??? I have owned 3 busa's. The first one I put 38K on it and never changed the chain or clutch. Actually the only thing that got changed was a headlight bulb. The valves I checked myself at 25K and they were all spot on. The spark plugs looked like brand new but I changed them at 28K. THe only thing the bike seem to go thru was back tires. On my second busa (04) I ended up having to change the chain at 28K? and the headlight bulb went out at the same time the 01 busa did. I had about 30K on the second one when I was hit by a truck and the bike was totaled. I am now on my 3rd 08 busa. These bikes will go for a long time if you keep them up....regular oil change, regular brake fluid change (oops forgot I did change the back brakes on both busa's) chained oiled, etc etc. I never had a clutch problem or change in any of my bikes and I do wheelies......
thumb_up.gif
cool.gif

57,000 miles on my '02 Busa and its running very strong. I take it to the track where I frequently run it to redline
thumb_up.gif

Back