Whats the worse thing I've ever seen.....

GAmedic

Registered
This is a question I get asked far too often. The average citizen asks with curiosity because they are none the wiser. What people dont realize when they ask that question to people who do what I do for a living is they are wanting us to open Pandoras box so to speak. They are asking us to voice a perfect visual of very bad situations that we dont really want to relive.

I've seen dead kids. I've seen plenty of dead adults and more dead elderly than I can count over 12 years. I've seen violent car accidents that drunk people have survived and very simple car accidents that have killed people. I've seen suicides, homicides, police shootings, and too many overdoses. I've reversed overdoses, made people breathe again, briefly stopped people from breathing, slowed the progress of heart attacks, and recognized the signs of an early onset stroke.

So, what's the worst thing I've had to see? Its not your 16 year old neighbor who killed himself because his girlfriend left him. It's not the distraught mother bringing her lifeless infant to me who died of sudden infant death syndrome. It's not the car accident that killed four teens while the driver was texting. It's not even the biker who fell 300 feet down the side of a mountain after misjudging a curve.

It's the elderly person with difficulty breathing who will die hours later after promising his wife of 60 years that he will be fine, while both know he wont be. It's being called out to your fire brothers house because he fell on hard times and didnt have the courage to reach out for anything but a gun. Its delivering that baby girl in your home and letting reality set in that she will grow up without a mother because it was impossible to stop the bleeding. It's being called to ones house because a grandma has passed and we have to walk away knowing we could have made an attempt but false hope is worse than the walk back to the truck empty handed.

These are the little moments that we have to shake off so that we can continue to do what we do. These are the hard times we face because we took an oath to be there for you when you dial that number. These are the little moments that allow us to see life the way we see it. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

"In your darkest hour, I will be there."

My dad was an Ambulance Attendant back in the day and he would tell the blood and gore stories at supper time. I personally think it affected him but he drowned the symptoms in a whiskey bottle. He did tell me to never go into the medical profession and I didn't.

Like all professionals who deal with people at their lowest hour, a thick skin is developed almost to the point of losing emotional sensations-which can be a good and bad thing.

Motorcycling was my therapy and when I was losing interest in motorcycling, I bought this Hayabusa (a bike I've always wanted) and my interest has been re-kindled-hopefully it stays with me.

Mental health is a tough thing to achieve.

Mental health is definitely what we need in this field. Tunnel vision is achieved far more than mental health. I can see my oldest being a third generation medic just as my dad was and I am.

The hard part of mental health is the fact one never knows they need it usually that and the stigma surrounding it. After 32 yrs serving my country in some of the worst places on earth, I found myself sitting in a psychiatrist's office...and wondering how it came to be that I needed to be there.

The hard part of mental health is the fact one never knows they need it usually that and the stigma surrounding it. After 32 yrs serving my country in some of the worst places on earth, I found myself sitting in a psychiatrist's office...and wondering how it came to be that I needed to be there.

Far too many people dont take that step and its disheartening.

Hi. Over a 1000 missions in Viet Nam as a door gunner and Dust Off medic helper.
My cousin from Michigan was in Viet Nam, he was in the Wolfhound Div in Hawaii before going there....my sister's husband was in the 101st in Viet Nam as well...that certainly was a tough theatre of operations.

Hi. I have flown through Hell. It is great that you help save lives. I have helped save some. But I have taken 100,s. It still weights heavy on my life. It lives with me every day! Now I work for Meals on Wheels It helps me cope because I have saved a few more lives.
It is outstanding you are giving back to society, lots of people in your place turned into recluses or worse due to the horrible treatment many of you received when you came home...
Well done you-you have my undying respect as a fellow (former) soldier.

You know in the business that we are in you have good days and bad days. You deal with several deaths and stuff going bad a lot but...that grab, that save, that rescue, that "thank you" even if is one in 100 is what keeps you going.
When I started in the fire service an old timer told me that we are all one alarm away from retirement, after seeing several of my bothers go because of being injured on a call or had seen too many suicides I am inclined to believe him.
I still live for that grab, that save, that rescue, that "thank you" but now that I know I'm only one alarm away from retirement I will cherish my job that much more

Last edited:
Back