What's the Org's thoughts on the firing of Capt. Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt?

If Crozier violated procedure, and it certainly seems he did, then dismissal is not only warranted, it's required. Time will tell if what he did was right in the grand scheme of things, but breaking the chain of command cannot be tolerated.The less than professional outburst from the secretary is not acceptable in my opinion, but it's not surprising given the type of people this administration has placed in leadership positions. A "naive" or "stupid" person does not get to command an aircraft carrier, describing a decorated career sailor like Crozier as such is childish and unhelpful. The secretary should have focused on the actions rather than the person. That's just me though...

We don't know everything that happened. But you don't get to be the Commanding Officer of a Nuclear-powered aircraft carrier for nothing. In other words, this guy has probably got one hell of a bio. But, as any officer knows, what he did would eventually end his career because it's "militarily correct".

HOWEVER, I have to admire a man that put his crew above his own career...and from the looks of it, his crew loved him. I'd rather have the admiration of those I served with than any additional rank I could attain by not doing anything to help my crew. But he can leave with his head held high, and I'd buy him a beer any day. If you aren't willing to gamble your rank for your soldiers every once in awhile, you aren't worthy of command.

I don't know the whole story, I only read he wrote a letter with his concerns and it was leaked somehow.

This placed his superiors (and theirs) in a predicament so they reacted, whether it was the proper reaction, time will tell.

I would hope he could have helped his crew is a less public way, but I don't know much about how the military handles things. The situation on that ship did look dire and it's way beyond me to judge how someone should react there.

It's an interesting situation. Imagine our enemies looking at that situation and wondering the readiness of all our resources everywhere. This alone puts a lot of people in serious danger. On the other hand the Captain was backed into a corner and I am betting the higher ups either were not focused on the situation or under estimated it's seriousness. Maybe the letter the Capt wrote was desperate, but it seems he was doing his job, which was looking after his ship. I am pretty confident the Capt tried to get the attention of the big wigs before resorting to the letter. In any event, if he broke the chain of command he has to go, and I'm pretty sure he knew this when he sent the letter. In the military, turning out to be right is not a get out of jail card for breaking command. Our military is going to be tested in the days to come and we need solid chains of command.

The real bone head move (and who needs to be fired) is the Sec of the Navy and his "he is stupid" comments. Had they relieved the Capt's command and quietly desked him for a couple years all would be over and done. The navy gets a hero that through himself on a sword for his crew, and a Hollywood movie and all is forgotten.

It's an interesting situation. Imagine our enemies looking at that situation and wondering the readiness of all our resources everywhere. This alone puts a lot of people in serious danger. On the other hand the Captain was backed into a corner and I am betting the higher ups either were not focused on the situation or under estimated it's seriousness. Maybe the letter the Capt wrote was desperate, but it seems he was doing his job, which was looking after his ship. I am pretty confident the Capt tried to get the attention of the big wigs before resorting to the letter. In any event, if he broke the chain of command he has to go, and I'm pretty sure he knew this when he sent the letter. In the military, turning out to be right is not a get out of jail card for breaking command. Our military is going to be tested in the days to come and we need solid chains of command.

The real bone head move (and who needs to be fired) is the Sec of the Navy and his "he is stupid" comments. Had they relieved the Capt's command and quietly desked him for a couple years all would be over and done. The navy gets a hero that through himself on a sword for his crew, and a Hollywood movie and all is forgotten.
Both parties could have done things much differently. I believe the Captain knew he was committing career suicide by writing and (more to the point, distributing) that letter. But the fact of the matter is that he was placed in command of one of the deadliest weapons of war on the planet, and as you said his actions showed weakness at a time when that is the last thing we need! The secretary of the Navy has since apologized for his remarks, but in hindsight (as much of Politics are) he most assuredly would rather have not said it at all. In both cases precedents have been set, and the Military will need to put this to rest ASAP or risk more of this public dirty laundry when we can least afford it.

Here is what I can tell you....

I am not qualified to even speculate on the leadership of a man that oversees a US Navy Aircract carrier, I never served in the military so I will stay completely away from what I don't know. I can tell you that the not only the content of the speech but the audience that the secretary said to those on the ship was unacceptable from any leadership standpoint but as we see he is gone for it.

Here is what I do know...... The goal of the ships Captain was to get the crew into a safer environment because there were a few on board that had tested positive for the virus. Look at this pic and watch the video and it almost negates the letter that the captain sent. Now make no mistake I completely understand the seriousness of the captains intent but it really doesn't look like the crew understands what he was fighting for.

"In a four-page letter dated Monday and first obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle, Navy Captain Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt said that "decisive action" was required to prevent deaths from the coronavirus, and that the sailors on board were currently unable to comply with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines to keep them safe because of the ship's close quarters.

Crozier wrote that "we are not at war, and therefore cannot allow a single Sailor to perish as a result of this pandemic unnecessarily."

This is not wartime and his choice to disregard orders put no lives at risk. It did however have the potential to save the lives of any number of his men.
If a single sailors live was spared by his actions then his choice was well warranted and acceptable.
I’m no military cat, but the way his crew applauded and cheered him... THATS admiration and respect.
he didn’t come to run afloatin nuclear city by making brash knee jerk decisions.
The man is as much a hero for his actions as any soldier diving on a grenade. Dying is easy... living with your actions is hard.

Back