What's the feeling after a good wreck?

bishop2072

Registered
Last July I destroyed my 600 Katana by losing a curve at night. I just bought a Hayabusa and it's power is awesome...but I am getting jitters. I respect the power...maybe I'm afraid of the power?

Am I playing this right? I'm thinking I learned a good lesson about speed and night riding, but at the same time it's like some post traumatic stress.

I've never had a "GOOD" wreck.

By the way, there are 2 kinds of fear. Fear that holds you down and controls you, and fear that keeps you from being stupid.

Yeah...the only thing good about it was I didn't have major injuries. Just a 15 minute concussion and a totalled bike. I hear you...fear keeps you from doing really dumb things.

If you haven't taken the MSF course, that'll definately help. And like Ktw88q said, ride within your skill level. Once you start riding out of your comfort zone, that's usually when bad things happen. :agree: As for the feeling after a wreck, if your not dead or haven't broken anything...ohhh the soreness after the 2nd day, that really sucks!

Last edited:
I am sort of a "get back on the horse" kind of guy... but - there is a small easy curve that everytime I go through it - well, let's just say I know exactly where I am when I am there. I agree that fear is not always a bad thing... especially when one of the biggest problems we have in motorcycling is a combination of overconfidence and complacency.

Think of it this way - the second you stop respecting your Busa - she will bite you.

Just my .02

"Good crash"? I had to wait five weeks before riding again after my get off some years back due to my injuries and I was shall we say (tentative) for awhile when riding, especially in off camber downhill right handers...but, I got back on and have ridden that same corner many times since. Seat time is the best cure, just be careful and gear up completely every time you ride. Confidence should return with experience in the seat. Good luck!

"Good crash"? I had to wait five weeks before riding again after my get off some years back due to my injuries and I was shall we say (tentative) for awhile when riding, especially in off camber downhill right handers...but, I got back on and have ridden that same corner many times since. Seat time is the best cure, just be careful and gear up completely every time you ride. Confidence should return with experience in the seat. Good luck!

Here's a test for you: righthanders should feel equal to lefthanders (ignoring, smaller radius and blind spots). If not, you are unconsciously holding back, creating a discomfort. I agree with you, seat time fixes everything, but bad habits should be nipped in the bud. I once almost got caught crossing railroad tracks (kept it upright, but front wheel did slid away) and for the longest time I would freeze up each time I had to cross a groove in the pavement, enhancing the bad effects.

Sorry you were out of commission for so long, glad you are OK though, you must have worn your gear!

PS. I also agree, no wreck is a good wreck.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only thing I remember just after my wreck was "SHOOT I've got to call my wife and tell her"! That was the worse thing!

Last July I destroyed my 600 Katana by losing a curve at night. I just bought a Hayabusa and it's power is awesome...but I am getting jitters. I respect the power...maybe I'm afraid of the power?

Am I playing this right? I'm thinking I learned a good lesson about speed and night riding, but at the same time it's like some post traumatic stress.

From a guy riding Busa's for a little bit in the un-lit world of VT.

1) At night with stock lights never, ever, exceed you reaction time from illumination, which is about 90 mph. indicated for me. ( This varies upon rider)

2) If the power is to intimidating ?????

Just short shift, you can be doing 40 m.p.h in 6th being relaxed or go almost 140 in 3rd on your rear wheel.

Take your time and ride your own ride with her, and of course ask more questions.:thumbsup:

"Sorry you were out of commission for so long, glad you are OK though, you must have worn your gear!"

I had leather on but no armor. Learned my lesson the hard way. But, I've ridden over 100,000 miles since:thumbsup:and the sides of my tires look identical.

BTW, you're in the south bay? I'm in SanHo. Haven't seen you out anywhere but I did see a scratched up LE with Corbin Bags near Alice's one time. Was that yours?

Last edited:
Take it easy, the Busa can cause trouble quick if your not smart with it, use your judgement and learn the bikes in's and out's. If you ride smart and safe you should be fine.:thumbsup:

BTW, you're in the south bay? I'm in SanHo. Haven't seen you out anywhere.

Goes both ways, how often do you ride?

We are fairly close to Los Gatos, most riding is towards west, Santa Cruz and hills, mostly on weekends. Only at 4k miles on busa. We were at Alice's twice last month with the nice weather (then), was sunny but cold, Monterey and Half Moon Bay in Dec.
Posted via Mobile Device

After High Siding my old Bike Years ago and my recent Low Speed Crash..........It Takes what it takes for you to get your MOJO Back. Take Your Time......... If it does Not Feel Right then Follow that Little Voice Inside :whistle:

Weather permitting I'm trying to get some of the Sac boys to come over for a ride in that same general area next Sunday or the next...weather permitting!!! Stay tuned for the details!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'll be on the pretty one!!!:bowdown:

skyline_blvd Busa March nine oh eight (Medium).jpg

i went sliding down the interstate, broke my collar bone bruised my hip pretty good and minimal road rash....2 weeks later i took my sling off and had the busa out :thumbsup:

i wrecked slowing down for a turn and i notice whenever im about to go into a turn i slow down alot and put too much thought into it, did the same thing when i wrecked my first car tho smacked a deer at 70mph middle of night on a 2 lane road with all woods on both sides next time i drove that road i did 20mph :poke: times heals all right.

everything in excess is not good. smalltime fear keeps you from taking silly risks, both endangering your life and others... and I believe those of us who've been down come to appreciate they are back riding and if played right use them memories/experiences to better their skills and minimize their risks. That's what you should aim for in my opinion... Fear is a good thing if within reason. Too much of it will probably get you down again for the wrong reasons. (example excessive fear might make you drive slower than you should on a roundabout and that could get you in trouble - when you are thinking your not driving fast and in a safe zone, your ctually putting yourself in the same risk zone). I noticed though I get the chills before everyride after every accident. But once i'm on, dn have my full gear on, and I turn the engine, the bike and I are 1. However again, I keep them memories as a wakeup call for when I start to act risky on the road and i WAKE UP AND FOCUS!

Back