Whats the difference?

BrianKesler

Registered
Ive been reading a lot of posts, and i see people say they are an average rider, and some say they are a great rider. Ive been riding for a few years now, never been to the track, and i wouldnt say im a great rider, but i think im ok. Just wondering what you guys thought

I dont know how someone else would rate me, but I ride my own ride.
beerchug.gif

In my view, if you can ride and survive the streets with the cagers trying to kill you from every angle, then you are a GREAT RIDER.
race.gif

Ive been riding for forty years and I learn something new every time I ride. Constant improvement if you will. Anyone who proclaims themselves as a great rider has just not encountered "that" one particular situation yet where you undoubtedly will run out of talent and be forced into a situation you are unprepared for. Even the best MotoGP riders have coaches,trainers and mentors to try and improve constantly. The minute you start thinking you are "great" is most likely the minute right before you get bit.
laugh.gif

Ive been riding for forty years and I learn something new every time I ride. Constant improvement if you will. Anyone who proclaims themselves as a great rider has just not encountered "that" one particular situation yet where you undoubtedly will run out of talent and be forced into a situation you are unprepared for. Even the best MotoGP riders have coaches,trainers and mentors to try and improve constantly. The minute you start thinking you are "great" is most likely the minute right before you get bit.
laugh.gif
bowdown.gif
Nuff said

I have been on a Gixxer of some sort since 1986 (GSXR750 Limited).  This is a moto I live by.  "The day a rider decides he has mastered the machine, he needs to get off it, because it is getting ready to kill him"

Don

BTW, that dry clutch is a pain in the a$$.

1986_GSX_R750_redbk_450.jpg

I am rookie as they come. I know it and I stay within the limits of what I feel comfortable. I watch every other rider I see no matter what kind of bike and try to see if I can learn something from them. I do not think I will ever stop learning.

laugh.gif
bowdown.gif
Nuff said
+1

Never really think about it. There is always somone better then you out there. I think part of being a good rider is to know that you don't know everything.

Anyone who proclaims themselves as a great rider has just not encountered "that" one particular situation yet where you undoubtedly will run out of talent and be forced into a situation you are unprepared for.
I feel the same way. My wife went to that motorcycle class, the one where you learn how to ride, then at the end you take the test and get your endorsement there....the instructor said that every accident is avoidable. i couldnt believe he would say something like that...what an idiot!

laugh.gif
Amen ! I've been riding 20 years and I the first thought I put in mind mind before releasing the clutch is "Don't be a smart ass" The best part of a ride is getting back home and be able to kick back and open up a cold one and just have that big grin
face7.gif
on your face.

So who said they're a great rider?

Maybe Valentino Rossi
biggrin.gif

An average rider. Hmmm. I would say an average rider is a street rider. Sport bike or Crusier, probably rides a cruiser. Probably rides 2,000 miles a year.

An insurance guy could probably tell you better.

I think there is only 2 types of riders personally, those that fall and those that are gonna fall.
I think if you want to consider yourself a great rider that is a impossible height to reach. I think as you mature you become a muture rider that respects the machine, and understands that any day could be a bad one so your goal is to make it back home.
beerchug.gif

always remember .. the day you started riding was the day you " stuck or applied" a TARGET on your back .. always be aware of it .. because the day or night you forget... cagers have your #.. and have no-problem trying to scrape off that target... time and age/ability.. does hold precedence ..so never get too "cocky/ego" .. the precautionary ability ( 1 ) needs to ride and survive is a daily forthought ( the gum on the end of the nose ) <-- applies here.. as in turns.. so it becomes a ( what you know and have learned or will Learn .. as far as Whats the Difference ..its up to you and yours.. < have a great day > ... < just my 2 cents >
beerchug.gif

In my view, if you can ride and survive the streets with the cagers trying to kill you from every angle, then you are a GREAT RIDER. I agree with Rocket_Man

Back