What's the difference? Custom Dyno vs Autotune

haya4life

Registered
HELP.... I don't understand what the difference is between a custom dyno map from a reputable shop like HPC and a Bazzaz or PC5 Autotune setup.

Can you please explain?

Also, I read that the Bazzaz has the capability of managing 8 injectors and the PC5 does not, just 4 injectors. What does that all mean because the following article outlined that "Fuel is sprayed through a new 12- hole injector system (previously 4-hole) into 44mm throttle bodies that employ Suzuki's Dual Throttle Valve system". Is there 4 or 8 injectors with 12 holes each or is there 12 injectors?

2008 Hayabusa vs. ZX-14R Shootout - Motorcycle.com

You need to have a base map for the autotune to work. It doesn't automatically adjust anything just records information and then gives you some advice on what to change. It is time consuming to get a good map but works pretty good from what others have said. The Bazzaz controls the 8 injectors 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom. There isn't a difference gained from either tuning Fi unit you choose just more flexible in some areas of performance. If you read older posts there will be a ton of info on all of this. Flashing is also a good route to take...still need a tune or map.

Flashing: cheapest solution. Controls all 8 injectors, as well as ignition timing, rev limiter, autoshift, and top speed limiter removal. Downside is that there is no autotune for this, and that not all tuners are doing this yet. Petrik / Smithabusa are the dudes. Recomended if the dyno shop has experience with this.

PCV: controls lower injectors and works well. Tuners all have experience with the power commander. The autotune works very well, and if your patient will give you a great map even without a base map. Downside is the lower injectors start running out of fuel at about 230 HP, so not recomended for big dry nitrous shots. The PCIII is also available for the Gen II, and it does almost everything the PCV does except support autotune. You can find many of them cheap now that flashing is out there.

Bazzas: I don't have personal experience tuning with these. I believe the Bazzaz is most expensive? Controls all 8 injectors. Great for very big nitrous shots.

Bazzas: I don't have personal experience tuning with these. I believe the Bazzaz is most expensive? Controls all 8 injectors. Great for very big nitrous shots

They also have a type of autotuner called the Z AFM. They are a little more pricey...

auto tune sucks on the bazzaz ( last two O2 sensor) were not correct
what every you use you will still gain with a good tuner because all the atuotune's do is set for one A/F trust you do not want that
But............. it is still logging which helps for certain situations

auto tune sucks on the bazzaz ( last two O2 sensor) were not correct
what every you use you will still gain with a good tuner because all the atuotune's do is set for one A/F trust you do not want that
But............. it is still logging which helps for certain situations
your thoughts about the "Tuning Link" software?

No matter the means a base tune is needed. This initial tune should be done by freehand on a dyno. MOTEK, PCV, Baazaz and on and on won't matter if the base tune sucks.

No matter the means a base tune is needed. This initial tune should be done by freehand on a dyno. MOTEK, PCV, Baazaz and on and on won't matter if the base tune sucks.

:yes:

I will take the dyno and a tuner over auto tune any day. No Autotune can tell you the things a good tuner can.

No substitute for a tune from a good tuner.

I have the bazzaz zafm and found out from Cheese it was not reading correct and adding too much fuel. When I called Bazzaz they said it's calibrated that way from the factory???? I'll be honest, I don't know alot about exactly how all this works, but in my mind, what is the point of having an autotuner if it doesn't give you accurate figures, that pretty well takes the purpose out of having one. I will be re-contacting Bazzaz soon in hopes of either getting a usable afm/02 sensor or getting a full refund...I'm not holding my breath on this one. Also it only shoots for one target a/f ratio all across the board. If it would read correct I could see it being useful though.

You can't tune an Auto-Tune (Any brand) correctly without risking going to jail. :laugh: A dyno has no speed limits, and can tune for many throttle/RPM combinations.

don't get me started hahahahaha
real tuners don't need it, fake tuners swear by it

And ain't that the truth.................... good for tuners that can't co relate between what the numbers are and what input needed to correct them. :banghead:
It's wrong how many manufacturers keep plugging their units as plug n play ............ fit this and your bikes tuned .......... yeah right :rofl:
These units should be called plug and :please:

Tuning is an art. :beerchug::beerchug:

DSCF0019.jpg

The PC-V allows you to set variable AFR targets with autotune, but unlike the time averaged data logged on the Dynojet dynos you'll see the AFR jumping around while the bike is running. The problem is a real tuner understands the variance in the AFR during operation (different dynos have different sample/refresh and time averaging rates) and tunes with the human factor. The poor auto tune tries to hit an AFR target, but will continue to come up with new "adjustment" values as the AFR jumps around.

Result is same bike, same mods driven an hour later and the autotune wants to redo the whole map. It certainly gets closer than say a downloaded map from the Power Commander site but at some point you just have to switch off the autotune.

Of course, I own a dyno shop so I am biased, but that has been my general observation.

Last edited:
some tuners do the same thing that the box (autotune) is trying to do by tageting a specific AFR for the entire rev range. The good, more experienced tuners know that an engine doesn't perform it's best with this kind of a tuning method. Tuning link is for the slow guys just trying to make a quick buck.

If you can't get an AFR to a set number, you can't tune period. I agree tuning link is for dummy's. Tuning is very very simple. I have been bugging Dynojet for a yearly competition to help some rants on the web. Looking for a complete custom map by freehand in thirty minutes (10) pulls, within best power by 3%. Should be interesting. I am also willing to have one on one tuning sessions with anyone interested in getting ultra smooth power curves, long torque curves, bullet proof tuning for the track up to 500 HP....give HPC a call.

HELP.... I don't understand what the difference is between a custom dyno map from a reputable shop like HPC and a Bazzaz or PC5 Autotune setup.

Can you please explain?

Also, I read that the Bazzaz has the capability of managing 8 injectors and the PC5 does not, just 4 injectors. What does that all mean because the following article outlined that "Fuel is sprayed through a new 12- hole injector system (previously 4-hole) into 44mm throttle bodies that employ Suzuki's Dual Throttle Valve system". Is there 4 or 8 injectors with 12 holes each or is there 12 injectors?

2008 Hayabusa vs. ZX-14R Shootout - Motorcycle.com

*8*

If you can't get an AFR to a set number, you can't tune period. I agree tuning link is for dummy's. Tuning is very very simple. I have been bugging Dynojet for a yearly competition to help some rants on the web. Looking for a complete custom map by freehand in thirty minutes (10) pulls, within best power by 3%. Should be interesting. I am also willing to have one on one tuning sessions with anyone interested in getting ultra smooth power curves, long torque curves, bullet proof tuning for the track up to 500 HP....give HPC a call.

willing
my standard for years now everyone watch and learns
I look the response "did you just make my motor sound sweeter with on stoke of the key board?"
then the real schooling starts

Last edited:
When I rep'ed for a dyno manufacturer I got 80% of the folks showing up at the booth wanting to have an autotune for various EFI modifiers with the dyno.

I couldn't believe how many people wanted to put a dyno in their shop but didn't want to even begin to understand how to tune.

There's a lot of them out there. Dynos at dealers who have no clue what they are actually doing - but the good news is they a have a certificate saying they had an intensive 3 day training!

In the Autotune manual it states to bring your bike to a tuner to make sure the AFR readings are correct so the autotune is calibrated. Then to make adjustments to the map from there.. I have the autotune on my bike, and yes it makes a difference. Unfortunately there is no reliable tuners here so I opted to wait till I got back to FL before bringing to a tuner. I talked to a lot of people about the guy near where I was and they said don't go there.. I will get it dynoed without the PCV and then with it since it was so simple to install.. I will say it was a difference, but will not say how much till I have numbers to back it up.

SO if anyone knows a good tuner in FL, please let me know. Also looking for a someone to set up my suspension correctly since I really want to do some track days..

Last edited:
Back