What's the deal with security???

Okibusa

Donating Member
Registered
I've been on the internet lately looking for news about riding in Central Florida and it seems as if the only news about bikes in C. Fl. is news about them being stolen. What's up with that? I'm use to riding to Starbucks in downtown Naha (fairly large city), going shopping and returning two hours later with my bike still on the side walk where I left it with the keys in the ignition.

So what's everyone using for security? And, is it really that bad?

Depends on where in Central Fla you are discussing. Tampa or Orlando I'd absolutely say you better assume it will get stolen if they can get to it. But there is a LOT of central Fla outside of those sities that are very bike friendly and mostly good decent people living there.

I live in Central Fla., where are you considering exploring here? This is a very biker friendly state here. It is a big part of the economy is places like Daytona. There are bikes everywhere here.

I am planning on purchasing a house in the Kissimmee area. I will be working on Patrick AB.

(Okibusa @ Feb. 15 2007,03:21) I am planning on purchasing a house in the Kissimmee area. I will be working on Patrick AB.
Cool! Now I have a fellow USAF partner to hang with! When I go to the events! I'm at Moody!

Oki,

That is a heck of a commute to Patrick from there. Why Kissimmee? By the way that is one of the higher theft areas. Is there any reason why you can't move closer to Patrick? That drive everyday will take its toll. An easy hour commute each way. I live about 15 mins from Patrick. Nice assignment. I would have stayed in f I could ever get stationed at a base that nice.

Smoke Dog, holla at me around July. I'll be down there with J-Ville on my route.

Tall Tom, I could move closer to Patrick but, I just thought real estate would be cheaper West of the coast. But you've been there, what's the deal?

You can find decent priced housing just inland from Patrick. Cocoa/Rockledge/Palm Bay. Even north in Port St John. There are areas of Cocoa and Palm Bay to stay away from. Depends on your budget. I am a real estate investor. Prices are depressed right now more here than Kissimmee. K is considered Orlando and yes they are cheaper overall, but they are also in shorter supply there. You can get as much house in the Patrick area as in K if you know where to look. There are some good bargains around here.

(Okibusa @ Feb. 14 2007,05:13) and returning two hours later with my bike still on the side walk where I left it with the keys in the ignition.

You leave the keys in the ignition?
SHOCKED.gif

I got my bike stolen from right in front of my place (it was parked at night right under a street lamp with the steering locked). I'm guessing a couple of guys just picked it up and put it in a van or a pick up and took off... Probably took less than a minute or two... I live in gainesville, though, which is a hotspot for bikes getting stolen... I'm sure it's the same thing in places like Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc... lots of theft... I have been to some places in florida where I feel like it'd be safe to leave the keys on the bike, and people dont seem as corrupt as in the bigger cities, but after getting my bike stolen there's no way i'll be so trusting ever again... (I keep my new bike in my living room now with a loaded shotgun next to my bed [insert smiley giving the finger here])

have a Scorpio alarm with proximity alarm and remote kill and a RoadLok plus a couple
guns.gif
for anyone stupid enough to try
beerchug.gif

(Lucky34 @ Feb. 14 2007,06:41)
(Okibusa @ Feb. 14 2007,05:13) and returning two hours later with my bike still on the side walk where I left it with the keys in the ignition.

You leave the keys in the ignition?  
SHOCKED.gif

I got my bike stolen from right in front of my place (it was parked at night right under a street lamp with the steering locked). I'm guessing a couple of guys just picked it up and put it in a van or a pick up and took off... Probably took less than a minute or two... I live in gainesville, though, which is a hotspot for bikes getting stolen... I'm sure it's the same thing in places like Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc... lots of theft... I have been to some places in florida where I feel like it'd be safe to leave the keys on the bike, and people dont seem as corrupt as in the bigger cities, but after getting my bike stolen there's no way i'll be so trusting ever again... (I keep my new bike in my living room now with a loaded shotgun next to my bed [insert smiley giving the finger here])
Yeah, I loved that part about the keys. I don't care where you live, if you leave the keys in the ignition you are begging someone to steal it. Take the keys and lock the forks! Scorpio with remote disable and perimeter is a good recommendation. I bought the Talon T2200i with MiBike but haven't figured out if I want to put it on yet. Alarm with GPS and the ability of sending a text message to your cell phone if it detects movement.

Internatrix w/proximity, and movement, pager style plus Zena wheel locks. Lock it down "everywhere". Takes no-time to lock it up and set alarm...from what I've heard...takes no-time to steal Busa's either.
bowdown.gif

There's no theft proof device. I have my TL1000R stolen from in front of my place. I had a wheel lock. With 2 or 3 guys they pick up the front of my bike and place it on skateboard or something else with wheels, and put it on a pickup truck. If they really want your bike that bad, they'll just catch you getting on it and pull the Heater on you and have your bike and key. But if you want a heads up, then get a alarm. I bought one on Ebay for $39. Made by Thor with remote start and anti carjacking.

I went with Lojack-- but I haven;t checked if it works outside Texas. And I am pretty close to Mex border--but it would be located as soon as I made the call.

Back