Whats the Best way to improve Gen 2 comfort ???/

Telboy2000

Registered
Been finding the busa a little pain inducing in my shoulders and neck when doing any longer distance runs...100+ miles etc.
When doing spirited riding its not too bad but sustained steady speeds do hurt.
Thought of maybe trying another bike and test rode the BMW K1300s & r both of which have better comfort and toys but lack that the raw engine and handling.
So...do risers and lower pegs work and if so which ones work and look best.....not fond of the basic 19mm etc spacers but if they work i'd be prepared to try a set.

I believe there may be an entire multi-page thread dedicated to this topic, but I'll give you my $.02.

Helibars AND 1/2" risers work awesome together to get the bars up and take some pressure off your wrist.
I had my factory seat cut and reformed by Ball-Z (who subs it out to someone). It lowers the seat about an inch or so by reshaping the foam. That gets you down in the saddle a little more and again, takes some strain off your wrists.
If you have issues with your legs/hips (which I don't because I'm only 5'10, you can lower the pegs about 1" with the Buell peg mod.
Get a good double bubble windscreen that gets the wind up over your helmet so it's not hitting you in the chest or in the face.

Those are the best "comfort" mods, in my opinion. I'm sure there are others, but those are relatively inexpensive, and fairly well tested by the Busa community.

Been finding the busa a little pain inducing in my shoulders and neck when doing any longer distance runs...100+ miles etc.
When doing spirited riding its not too bad but sustained steady speeds do hurt.
Thought of maybe trying another bike and test rode the BMW K1300s & r both of which have better comfort and toys but lack that the raw engine and handling.
So...do risers and lower pegs work and if so which ones work and look best.....not fond of the basic 19mm etc spacers but if they work i'd be prepared to try a set.

Let's start with height and weight.

Yeah Big E is right it depends on your body. I have a long torso so the busa pretty much fits me fine stock. I added Helibars and this does change the feel of the bike but does not to the point of hurting the handling. All I did was situps to strengthen my abdomen (seriously, I have a six-pack under the fat). I practice sitting on my abs so there is no weight at all on the arms. That's how I ride the interstates. I can ride the Busa for 14-16 hours with breaks.

Is the suspension on your Busa properly tuned for you and your weight?
If not it may be too stiff and be creating your problem. When I finally had mine done it went from bumpy riding sportscar to a plush Cadillac. It made the bike more comfortable.

I'd start there before you change parts.

I believe there may be an entire multi-page thread dedicated to this topic, but I'll give you my $.02.

Helibars AND 1/2" risers work awesome together to get the bars up and take some pressure off your wrist.
I had my factory seat cut and reformed by Ball-Z (who subs it out to someone). It lowers the seat about an inch or so by reshaping the foam. That gets you down in the saddle a little more and again, takes some strain off your wrists.
If you have issues with your legs/hips (which I don't because I'm only 5'10, you can lower the pegs about 1" with the Buell peg mod.
Get a good double bubble windscreen that gets the wind up over your helmet so it's not hitting you in the chest or in the face.

Those are the best "comfort" mods, in my opinion. I'm sure there are others, but those are relatively inexpensive, and fairly well tested by the Busa community.

LAMMSEATS. Com located in Redding Ca does superb workmanship on seats. Gurantees his seats to be comfortable and any issues..he will fix.
Maybe do the buell foot peg mod. Lowers your foot one inch. Lessens the leg cramps too..

Let's start with height and weight.
5'6" and around 180lbs in kit.
I'm certain that my own physical fitness is part of the issue along with less bike usage compared to previous years.....dropped from doing 10k a yr to around 4k and the road to work is now a 40mph zone for about 20 miles and cramp quickly sets in across my shoulders.
I have found when i tour on the bike and use a tank bag i get little pain so definitely thinking of leaving the bag on the bike full time.

Test rode the BMW K1300r....quick, comfy and relaxing but handling is weird and the shaft drive has random weird behaviour...so no to a BMW change.
For now i've raised the bars 10mm with some washers and bolts i got from work....certainly easier in traffic as my head is more relaxed so looking like something along the Genmar plates and helibars longterm.
Suspension wise the bike was set up when i got it to offer a sportier ride to suit local roads without overly compromising my commute as it was (open road with fast sweepers).
Spent the last few days trying various bikes of all types and simply can't find one that competes with the virtues of a Busa.

Due a tyre change soon so I'm not going to fiddle with too much before then...need tyres regardless of comfort so money is heading that way first.

If you want the comfort of a sport tournament bike. Go with the speigler/abm clamp bar set up.

I tried heli bars, then heli bars with the genmar risers, and ultimately ended up with the Spiegler lsl set up. I absolutely love it and won't go back. Everyone who has ridden with this setup loves it as well. From hard core sportbike riders to long distance touring types. The only thing affected it had handling wise it it steers really quick and effortlessly and now in tight canyons I am working a lot less than before. The real benefit other than comfort is that with my more upright seating position my wife is way more comfortable on the back. Other than aesthetics, I have yet to find a downside to this setup.

I tried heli bars, then heli bars with the genmar risers, and ultimately ended up with the Spiegler lsl set up. I absolutely love it and won't go back. Everyone who has ridden with this setup loves it as well. From hard core sportbike riders to long distance touring types. The only thing affected it had handling wise it it steers really quick and effortlessly and now in tight canyons I am working a lot less than before. The real benefit other than comfort is that with my more upright seating position my wife is way more comfortable on the back. Other than aesthetics, I have yet to find a downside to this setup.

Got any pictures of that and you on the bike to see how upright you sit?

Helibars, 3/4" Genmar risers, BMW grips, Corbin seats, lowered rear 1.5" and front 1/2". About perfect for me at 6'.

I went with the 1" handlebar riser and the Buell peg lowering mod. Also put on a Saddlemen Gel Seat. It is pretty comfortable. I go about 1.5 hours and then take a break. I tend to shift around in my seat a bit and also ride with one hand and then the other using cruise control just to vary it up a little and keep the old hands from getting numb.

You hit on it in your follow up post, physical fitness make a huge difference. I finally started getting back in shape about 6 weeks ago. So far I have lost 20 pounds and have another 20 to go but wow, what a difference on the bike. I can feel it in my shoulders, wrists, and back already. That and just riding more and using those muscles seems to help. Been getting on the mountain bike a bit and that seems to strengthen the shoulder and back muscles as well.

I did 100 miles yesterday evening and another 100 this morning on my Tuono and apart from butt ache I feel fine...weird how just using the bikes helps.
Downside is that I started really enjoying myself on some lovely country twisties and now need tyres sooner than i had planned...can't complain too much after getting 3000+miles from the stock tyres.
Thanks for all the info, looks like I am heading in the right direction.

Back