what's the best spark plug to use?

l'm looking to gain better mileage results, without sacrifising power of course. i am currently getting between 12-15 Km/L (28-35 mpg)  i think i should be able to do better than that.
 I recently installed a power commander, which DID give me a little bit of a gain, but not much.

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!
use the plugs that ignite your fuel. From a mechanical stand point, as long as it is the right heat range a spark is a spark, all an Iridium plug will do is outlast a copper one.

I just installed the CR9EK dual electrode plugs and synthetic oil at the same time and it did make my onboard fuel mileage meter read 1.5-2 mpg higher. I haven't done the math using actual gas usage yet. The plugs did do something weird.It feels "leaner". I did nothing to my fuel map,but the bike has just the teeny tiny feel of part throttle surge with the dual electrode plugs that it didn't have with the originals.

Stock plugs .

If thats all the MPG you can get at steady state hi-way cruise then check air-filter , reset the TPS through the PC software , resend the map in max resolution then start trimming the table numbers at throttle position and RPM you cruise at. If it's a hi-miler check valve clearance and run a double dose of Techron though the tank .

I have modified 200RWHP engine that gets over 50mpg in the cruise RPM range , 6th gear . Stock engines in excellent tune can do it as well .
I would love to know who tuned your bike

Get your power commander tuned for your bike and explain to the tuner that you'd like better fuel economy in cruising areas.

Or get AutoTune and do it yourself. Set the target AFR for cruising range leaner and tune for that. That will be a very small part of the whole map. It will be very easy to do and cost you less than a dynotune. IDK how lean you can go but 3000-4000 rpm is not going to cause a problem if you stay within reason. 14 AFR is fine at that low of an RPM. You might eve be able to go leaner in those few cells you cruise in.

Stock plugs .

If thats all the MPG you can get at steady state hi-way cruise then check air-filter , reset the TPS through the PC software , resend the map in max resolution then start trimming the table numbers at throttle position and RPM you cruise at. If it's a hi-miler check valve clearance and run a double dose of Techron though the tank .

I have modified 200RWHP engine that gets over 50mpg in the cruise RPM range , 6th gear . Stock engines in excellent tune can do it as well .

I need to get me some of that!

Yea I know this is an old thread but nothing newer comes up in search. Are any of the new high tech spark plugs any better than what the haff 10 years ago? Im changing my oil and gonna do the plugs too while I'm at it and she's sat idle for 3 months now. Im thinking Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic 10-40 and maybe NGK's?

Yea I know this is an old thread but nothing newer comes up in search. Are any of the new high tech spark plugs any better than what the haff 10 years ago? Im changing my oil and gonna do the plugs too while I'm at it and she's sat idle for 3 months now. Im thinking Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic 10-40 and maybe NGK's?
Always better to stick to the stock replacement plugs which are Iridium

Ive researched on here fir this as well and if gen 2 use the iridium ngk if gen 1 use the copper. There's one post where someone suggested a denso plug that is specifically a race plug and they run about 30 bucks a piece and since im stock I won't be wasting that money in plugs. Ngk and denso are the only plugs I'll run in a Japanese bike and very few denso so just stick with the factory ngk and you'll be good. Be sure to get them from a dealer tho no Ebay or Amazon, if you Google it you'll see there was a bunch of fake iridium ngk plugs being sold that were far from iridium or even the right plug.

Thanks boys I'm getting 4 quarts of Amsoil 10/40 and the NGK iridium's right now. Good Lord willing I'll hear her rumble again as soon as the new stator comes in

Dammit man that's $100 without a filter ! Gotta pay to play with the best I guess

Last edited:
Thanks boys I'm getting 4 quarts of Amsoil 10/40 and the NGK iridium's right now. Good Lord willing I'll hear her rumble again as soon as the new stator comes in

Dammit man that's $100 without a filter ! Gotta pay to play with the best I guess
Every oil change costs me 90 dollars (no filter though) and last season I bought the Iridium plugs for 30 dollars a piece....! Its crazy

Every oil change costs me 90 dollars (no filter though) and last season I bought the Iridium plugs for 30 dollars a piece....! Its crazy
$90 just for the oil?! Wth dude? I got Amsoil for $12 a quart and it's about as expensive as oil gets isn't it?

$90 just for the oil?! Wth dude? I got Amsoil for $12 a quart and it's about as expensive as oil gets isn't it?
Its canadian dollars. 17.99 plus tax (per 900 ml) ( I use 10W40 semi synthetic Castrol Actevo).
One problem is that I cant find ANY oil which is sold in a gallon bottle. They are so much cheaper.

Its canadian dollars. 17.99 plus tax (per 900 ml) ( I use 10W40 semi synthetic Castrol Actevo).
One problem is that I cant find ANY oil which is sold in a gallon bottle. They are so much cheaper.
Yeah I buy all my diesel oil in 2.5 or 5 gallon bottles but nothing for my Jeep or apparently my bike comes in anything but quarts. Gotta keep those prices high huh

Yeah I buy all my diesel oil in 2.5 or 5 gallon bottles but nothing for my Jeep or apparently my bike comes in anything but quarts. Gotta keep those prices high huh
Yeah same here.
I just looked on amazon. They DO sell my oil in a gallon bottle. But they charge 25.99 shipping LOL

Back