What's the best gearing?

zxkiller

Registered
I have a 03 busa looking for the right gears. Can u ride long trip with 16/43 and then when it time to get down it there.

I have a 03 busa looking for the right gears. Can u ride long trip with 16/43 and then when it time to get down it there.
Not sure what that last part means.....but +3 on the rear sprocket makes for a nice ride with little sacrifice in fuel economy and keeps the chain from having to work so hard by not dropping a tooth in the front.

Not sure what that last part means.....but +3 on the rear sprocket makes for a nice ride with little sacrifice in fuel economy and keeps the chain from having to work so hard by not dropping a tooth in the front.

+1 16/43 is not good for long trips. I run 17/43 on my 06 and it is just great

17/43 right now and shes a monster, the only thing is she seems like she dranks more gas now but thats b/c I like to play.:laugh:

16/43 is a bit much for long hauls...nothing wrong with it if you don't mind the extra rpm's and using more fuel. I prefer NOT going down on the front, +3 on the rear is plenty for a daily street bike.

your crazy there is nothing wrong with 16/43 on long trips I do it all the time. No problem with fuel or anything else.
huh? that is almost the same as being down 2 gears at highway speed... I am calling :bs: on this one..

I run 17/43 and I lost a few MPG right off the top. The RPM's went up a good shot too.. the 3 teeth are like downshifting one gear at highway speed.. I will get my gearing calculator out and get the numbers for 16/43 but I can bet it is 10% or more..

edit:
Ratio 2.69 for 16/43 and 2.35 for 17/40 (pretty large jump)

Last edited:
18-40 here makes for real nice cruising, also makes the speedo almost dead on.. 80 indicated is actual 77mph..

Just returned from my first ride with a 17/42. Its fantastic ! A lot more zip and not buzzy at highway speeds. I am surprised at the difference in acceleration with such a small change in gearing.:thumbsup:

bottom line is it all depend on how you like to ride. It also depends what you want (if anything) to do with HP

16-42 here and I have been 6.1 in the 1/8th mile and need to go up to a 16-44. I rode 400 miles on this and it was fine also. I think I would put the 40t on for the next trip.

Back