whats the best gear?!?

eric wiseman

Registered
So many options...so little life.

Im going to be picking up a buss next month. I want to know what the best gear is. If im going to risk my life, i want to know i at least did my all. Looking for input on full leather jacket with armor, gloves, and lid.

In a helmet... im looking for safety, weight, looks. in that order. some i was kicking around...

arai
shoei
suomy
bell

gloves... want full gauntlet with good knuckles on it. Not sure about many good gloves but the alpinestars catch my eye as being top notch

Jackets... Im looking to put money down here. Has to be thick, has to have armor, has to be comfortable and hopefully breathe good but will sacrifice on the last part due to safety. Really not sure if perforated makes a safety difference but any options are good.

vansons
alpinestars
icon

Im just trying to figure out as a rider what the best, most comfortable, safest, and user friendly stuff is. ANY advice is welcomed.

Also, do you guys really weigh a ton on proper footwear and pants? I figure id be ok with good work boots, and jeans. I see the armor jeans, and icon footwear and all...does it really make a difference in those areas? Any preventable road rash stories?

thanks guys

Helmets: Arai/Shoei/Suomy are good. See which one fits you best and then buy it.

Gloves: Again, find something that fits you. Buy it.

Jackets: Icon/Joe Rocket/Berik/AlpineStars are all good gear. Dainese is great but overpriced, IMO.

Also, do you guys really weigh a ton on proper footwear and pants? I figure id be ok with good work boots, and jeans. I see the armor jeans, and icon footwear and all...does it really make a difference in those areas?

You are riding one the fastest, most powerful bikes in the world. You will end up riding it fast, so you should dress appropriately. Kevlar jeans at a minimum, with proper riding boots. - You may think your work boots are strong enough but if you come off at 100mph you'll find that you were very, very wrong. I recommend you look at the SIDI range of boots. Comfortable, well made and reasonably priced.

If you are just riding around the suburbs, you could probably get away with jeans, jacket and work boots. If you are riding long distance or on the freeway, proper gear is a must.

Last edited:
I wear Arai, but Shoei and Suomy are great choices as well. I wear an Arai because it fits me the best.

For gloves those Alpine Stars are good. The main thing is fit, so get out and try em on. Mine are RS TaiChi

Jackets-Get out and try them on. I'm tall and fairly lean, so I cannot wear off the shelf Vanson, I actually do best with the Japenese brands in larger sizes, due to the fact they are made for a leaner build.

As far as jeans go, the kevlar jeans do make a difference in the road rash, personally I'd invest in a set of leather pants that will zip to your jacket for your serious riding.

A good pair of boots actually seves multiple purposes. I have Dainese Quito boots for my relaxed riding and AlpineStars Supertech R for serious riding. Full race boots can protect more than your feet. In the event of a crash they can prevent hyperextension of the ankle and in turn due to the connection of tendons, can help prevent hyper extension of the knee.

Helmets:

Go to a store which sells all the major brands. Try them on to determine the best fit for your noggin AND THEN SIT ON THE BUSA with the helmet on, try to tuck in, sit-up and see how the helmet works in all these positions.

For my head, the ONLY helmet that allows a comfortable tuck-in behind the screen on the BUSA is a Shoei RF 1000.

The above is really important, as my favorite and most comfortable helmet that I use on my other bikes, did not work on the Busa, due to the seating/forward leaning position. If you tuck in at 150mph, you want to be comfortable and see clearly as many miles ahead as you can.

Once you have your size and make of preference, you can shop online for the best price/color etc.

Remember, a new helmet needs to be a tight fit.

As far as riding gear, too many options to discuss, but IMHO you need a set of leathers, gloves and boots. Best is to go to a store where you can fit and look. If you buy cheap, you will probably end up spending more money later. For good value and affordable, look at SHIFT, it is a relatively new brand, but very good value and nice quality.

I have an Alpinestars leather jacket with armor inserts. Bought closeout last year from newenough.com for about $200. Cortech gloves on closeout as well for $40. Shoei RF1100. Still need to get kevlar jeans. Have old pair of Sidi's.

Wear whatever is comfortable for you thats appropriate for the weather. Dont be afraid of the bike its some not crazy fast out of control machine.

Also, do you guys really weigh a ton on proper footwear and pants? I figure id be ok with good work boots, and jeans. I see the armor jeans, and icon footwear and all...does it really make a difference in those areas? Any preventable road rash stories?
Stop worrying about going down and learn the bike. I dont think kevlar jeans is a must if your just out for a cruise. Hell i wear tshirt and shorts when im going down to the beach to ride. If i want to ride it hard yeah i will put on gear. You will know whats appropriate to wear for how you are going to ride. Be smart about it

Wear whatever is comfortable for you thats appropriate for the weather. Dont be afraid of the bike its some not crazy fast out of control machine.

Stop worrying about going down and learn the bike. I dont think kevlar jeans is a must if your just out for a cruise. Hell i wear tshirt and shorts when im going down to the beach to ride. If i want to ride it hard yeah i will put on gear. You will know whats appropriate to wear for how you are going to ride. Be smart about it

Amen to that :thumbsup:.

Hell i wear tshirt and shorts when im going down to the beach to ride. If i want to ride it hard yeah i will put on gear. You will know whats appropriate to wear for how you are going to ride. Be smart about it

Have to disagree with you on this. No way to predict when/where/how an accident will happen. Which is why most riders abide by ATTGAT - All The Gear All The Time (dress for the crash, not the ride)

Ultimately your call (just have a good story for medical why you did not have PPE while out on a bike...hey, its only a Marine Corps Order)

Lets not forget T-shirt and shorts in the rain ... :rofl:

for me: shoei rf1k, icon daytona neo leather jacket, technic leather gloves, draggin silverback jeans, and sidi b-2 boots. not the best gear but hopefully does the job if ever needed. :whistle:

So many options...so little life.

Im going to be picking up a buss next month. I want to know what the best gear is.

Second gear, that's the best. You can slip the clutch a little to get moving and still exceed triple digits faster than a lizard's tongue can snap a fly! :thumbsup:

I have a shoei x12 and arai rx7. both are fine helmets. fit and workmanship is tops. I have a real hard time finding helmets that fit.
I use Held Phantom gloves. Pricey but worth it.
I have an alpinestars rc1 1 piece perforated suit. fits nice. great quality.
My boots are Sidi. I wont wear any other kind.!!!
I have a couple of jackets. one is agv and its ok. My best is an alpinestars smx max air flow. It is outstanding in the hottest of days.
I have one other pair of track pants that are joe rocket blaster 2.0 perf. They fit a little on the large side but are good.
so my brands of choice are
Sidi
Arai
Shoei
Alpinestars
Held

Amen to that :thumbsup:.

In 40 years of riding i've only been down twice,and a little road rash was the least of my problems(broken right femur[in 5 places],broken nose/30 stitches in forehead/snapped off upper front teeth[and that was with a full faced Shoei],broken pelvis,ruptured bladder,etc.,etc.,etc.).I'll wear a jacket and gloves in winter(though out here in SoCal winter's hardly ever below 60 degrees),rest of the year is usually a sweatshirt or T-shirt and jeans.Not knocking those who wear full gear,just not for me.:thumbsup:

Can someone post a pic of the SiDi Boots.. I have my eye on these Alpinestars S-MX 2 Boots.. Which is better?

As far as leathers go, I'm loving the quality of my Dainese 2pc suit... Totally worth the price and you can find some great deals on ebay...

Jeans will rip and you will get road rash or worse...

Just like kromdom said... ATTGAT - All The Gear All The Time (dress for the crash, not the ride)

:beerchug:

It is all how the gear fits you and wearing what you buy. For example, I don't tend to lean toward one company, I bought good gear that fit from several companies.

For example:
Helmet - Akuma Phantom II
Gloves - Cortech something full leather
Boots - Joe Rocket
Jacket - Teknic Mercury
Pants - Shift

Scorpion Helmets are a good helmet that doesn't break the bank! I own Arai, Shoei, Suomy, HJC, Joe Rocket, ICON, and AGV helmets also! I like them all! My favorite this week is my Shoei! But I wear the Scorpion for night time riding!
ALL HELMETS SHOULD BE TRIED ON PRIOR TO PURCHASING!

There are many options for gloves! I wear Joe Jocket gloves. But I want Helds! LOL

I love my Speed and Strength (S&S) Jackets! I also have Joe Rocket jackets! S&S ones fit me a little better!

I have 2 leather suits! A 1 piece and a 2 piece Alpinestars! Great suits!

I have a pair of Alpinestar SMX boots and a pair of Sidi boot! I prefer the Sidi boots for fitment!

I usually wear jeans while riding! Not good, I know!

Think i narrowed it down to the Joe Rocket sonic waterproof boots or the alpine stars net air boots.. I wanted the S SM-2 but they didn't seem tall enough to cover the shin.. The S MX 5 boots are nice but are more for racing..

I'll be wearing these boots under jeans not tucked..

Back