Whats the best chain for racing/who to order from

Jeremy Godo

Registered
Ok,
I am looking for a good shop to start ordering parts that is has good customer service and can help me with my race bike. Presently,
I need to order a chain for strip use. I do ride to the drag strip. I want to go with the drz2 but not sure if its gonna be ok to ride on the street to tracks. I dont mind keeping it clean.
The other chain i was looking at getting is the
RK maxz 160 link 530. Its around 180 otd.
Any thoughts? The ek 3d is too expensive and isnt offered in 160 links from what i found. I had a zxv3 pn my bike prior and it was good.
Any ideas of personal experience would be awesome

A race bike that you drive to the drag strip is a street bike. O(x) ring chain are designed to keep water out so if you get caught in the rain with a non o-ring chain it's going to rust. I would go with an EK zvx3 for a hot street bike. Schnitz Racing is a good place to shop

I'll give you a different answer. The o-ring chains have the o-ring (or x-ring or whatever ring) as a seal to help keep the lube on the pin. This means a non o-ring chain will work fine, it just needs to be cleaned and lubed more frequently. If you are willing to do this every couple hundred miles you can run the drag chain. I use the DR2 and the DRZ2 on my bikes. The DR2 is lighter and costs less but has less tensile strength. In most cases it is fine. Schnitz is fine to order from as are many other companies. Check out their websites and see who is more likely to be someone you are going to order from again and use them.

Next chain is a drz2. I had a chain a while back break on me hence my newbie questions. Just dont want to bust up my cases.

Last edited:
Whats the best way to keep it clean and what process does everyone use? After installing a nee chain when do you need to check it. 500 miles? What products do people use. I see we lose a good amount if power from the crankshaft to the rear sprocket.

I just race mine so I do it a couple times a year. Probably should be more. I use lacquer thinner and a toothbrush and go around several times on all sides. Then I finish up with a can of brake cleaner. I use a synthetic lube that I got from Schnitz.

Back