What's for Dinner (Christmas)

Sandow

Registered
Curious what everyone has for dinner (or meals in general) around the christmas days? All traditional ...or..?

Meat pie and plum pudding.

Gonna have to google that. I’m interested
it is what you would expect

58a9cd5892fa3432c144df57f0658146.jpg

Now I gotta make one....lol. Ya know I can’t turn down a pie. Ok, unless it’s fish pie or something then I refuse

"French Canadian Tourtiere. Contains pork, potatoes, onions and spices."
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
  • 1 large baking potato
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 dash ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Directions
  1. Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
  2. Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
  4. Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
  5. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.

"French Canadian Tourtiere. Contains pork, potatoes, onions and spices."
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
  • 1 large baking potato
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 dash ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Directions
  1. Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
  2. Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
  4. Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
  5. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.
I make a nice thin brown gravy for mine and go real light on the cloves, cinnamon and allspice.

I make a nice thin brown gravy for mine and go real light on the cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
I have never made a meat pie before. Its very simple by the looks of it. But it sure looks good an I am sure it tastes delicious. I made a beef wellington last christmas. Its a bit more challenging to make but it was damn good though.
I assume you are cooking the christmas meals??

Meat pie and plum pudding.

Gonna have to google that. I’m interested
Here's a recipe I've used before....now I can get the same thing from our local bakery..I make my own rum sauce though.

Here's a recipe I've used before....now I can get the same thing from our local bakery..I make my own rum sauce though.

• 2 cups sugar
  • ⅔ cup butter cut in small cubes
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup dark rum depending on how strongly flavoured you like it. I use 1/2 cup.
LOL yeah that tastes damn good...look at the ingredients....!! sugar, fat, fat and also sugar...lol :super:

I have never made a meat pie before. Its very simple by the looks of it. But it sure looks good an I am sure it tastes delicious. I made a beef wellington last christmas. Its a bit more challenging to make but it was damn good though.
I assume you are cooking the christmas meals??

I am indeed. I have already made the meat pie and froze it. I don't use most of the spices as I find they overpower it. I make a small one as generally only my son and I eat it and I'm not sure he and his family will be home this year.

For New Years I make a prime rib with all the fixings just to shake things up somewhat.

• 2 cups sugar
  • ⅔ cup butter cut in small cubes
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup dark rum depending on how strongly flavoured you like it. I use 1/2 cup.
LOL yeah that tastes damn good...look at the ingredients....!! sugar, fat, fat and also sugar...lol :super:
The Rum sauce recipe in my post is a Newfoundland based version...very tasty...you can make it with 110 proof Screech..makes your nose hairs catch fire.

I am indeed. I have already made the meat pie and froze it. I don't use most of the spices as I find they overpower it. I make a small one as generally only my son and I eat it and I'm not sure he and his family will be home this year.

For New Years I make a prime rib with all the fixings just to shake things up somewhat.
I hear you, especially with those kind of spices it is very easy to overpower it.

I asked the wife the other day what she would like for christmas and i got a list of turkey, ham, 10 different vegetables and some sides aswell. Then she told me that would be 1!!!!! meal.
(she has a huge family and on christmas they made all those things for lunch). So i guess i will make all that for 2 people and eat 2 weeks leftover haha...
I plan on making another beef wellington, probably a surf and turf (lobster and filet mignon since i buy a whole beef filet) and all the stuff she wants. (different days obviously)

We normally have our 2 kids and their families of 3 kids apiece but this year it is just the wife and I....so far...I will invite a few people to make my hard work in the kitchen worth while. The wife used to be a military cook and she was highly trained in fine cuisine and setting tables, etc....

I take control of the kitchen though which seems to suit her fine. Sometimes I even wear pants under the apron but only for special occasions.:lol:

Back