What's everyone using lift-wise for doing chain and sprocket replacement?

So a buddy of mine gave me a HF gift card for Christmas and I couldn't think of anything better to spend it on so I opted for their Front Chock.
The thing seems pretty well built for what it is (hardware notwithstanding). The issue I am having is that it is obviously designed to be bolted down for use, and I intend to do just that (bolt it to my work-stand) but I also want to be able to remove it for use on the floor of my shop and to allow my Pitbull stem stand on my work stand. It just slides all over the concrete in that roll though, even when put on fatigue mats. I have seen a few guys on youtube sticking rubber treaded non-skid on the bottom rails. Anyone done this?
Just as a follow up, I cut open an old bicycle tube and glued it to the bottom rails with Spray 90 contact cement. Problem solved.

My table was a steel of a buy. $600 delivered. I like the Harbor freight unit and when I get a project bike when we move I'll buy one. The wheel tonics unit I try not to tie up. I use it on a commercial level between my bikes, friends, and the dozen customers I have
That's a great deal. I couldn't find any it less than twice that and I couldn't justify it. $600 would have been harder to turn down.

A plain old spool stand will work just pad the rear wheel and put a 2 x 4 through the spokes. Be very careful you don't wrench it over when you loosen the front sprocket nut. An impact will be safer. I used a 24" breaker bar. The bike gets tippy. Mind the angle you are wrenching at. Straight up is easiest but a lot more likely to tip it over. Straight up and push ahead is hard turning but safer.

Around here a Harbor Freight bike lift is under $300...before coupons.
You misunderstood. I was saying the HF stand was an easy buy for me when it was under 3 and the Snap On was over 12. If the Snap On was 6, it would have been harder to make the call on the HF table.

You misunderstood. I was saying the HF stand was an easy buy for me when it was under 3 and the Snap On was over 12. If the Snap On was 6, it would have been harder to make the call on the HF table.

Oh, gotcha, sorry.
I have alot of Snap-on stuff too, it's hard to turn down vs all the competition. I stopped buying from the local Snap-on guy years ago(is a super prick)and I've found everything for half price on ebay anyway.

Oh, gotcha, sorry.
I have alot of Snap-on stuff too, it's hard to turn down vs all the competition. I stopped buying from the local Snap-on guy years ago(is a super prick)and I've found everything for half price on ebay anyway.
I have some Snap On stuff, but for my amateur tinkering purposes it's overkill. I don't really need 50 billion clicks on a ratchet....

I have some Snap On stuff, but for my amateur tinkering purposes it's overkill. I don't really need 50 billion clicks on a ratchet....

I worked as a mechanic years ago( jobs and hobbies don't go together for me).
20 years ago there wasn't alot of quality competition for Snap-on, especially screwdrivers. I got tired of Craftsman tools breaking, Mac tools rusting, and no Matco or Cornwell trucks in the area. So Snap-on it is.
My 1/4" drive Snap-on ratchet is 22 years old, and finally gave up last year. A friend took it to work to the Snap-on guy, 5 minutes to replace it's guts and good as new.
I have most any auto/bike tools I can think of, but will be buying the big set of Snap-on snap ring pliers(12-14 in a case) in the near future. As every other brand I've had and used always breaks a tip at the worst time. Some things are worth paying alot for, just to not have a problem with later.

I worked as a mechanic years ago( jobs and hobbies don't go together for me).
20 years ago there wasn't alot of quality competition for Snap-on, especially screwdrivers. I got tired of Craftsman tools breaking, Mac tools rusting, and no Matco or Cornwell trucks in the area. So Snap-on it is.
My 1/4" drive Snap-on ratchet is 22 years old, and finally gave up last year. A friend took it to work to the Snap-on guy, 5 minutes to replace it's guts and good as new.
I have most any auto/bike tools I can think of, but will be buying the big set of Snap-on snap ring pliers(12-14 in a case) in the near future. As every other brand I've had and used always breaks a tip at the worst time. Some things are worth paying alot for, just to not have a problem with later.
I agree, I have good friends who spin wrenches for a living, and they are willing to make the investment. Most of my HF junk has a lifetime warranty, I've never had a problem getting stuff replaced. Sometimes good enough is exactly that, but I understand why others don't think lower quality tools will do.

On the pipes very simple.

20190201_162629.jpg

Back