Whats a good helmet for $200-300?

Z28McCrory

Registered
Hey guys,

I have a cheapie helmet right now that i picked up for less than $100. It fogs up, and doesn't breathe well at all.

Im wanting to get something better, and looking to spend 200-300 (maybe a bit more if its truly worth it.

I have a big head, so its hard for me to go try on helmets to see how i like them. I need a 2XL and all the shops within about 100 miles only carry the basic $125 HCJ helmets in that size.

Im looking at some of the ICON and Joe Rocket helmets.

Can you guys give me some advise? I probably wont be able to find one to try on, so its kinda a shoot in the dark, but hopefully everything will work out.

I really like my Icon Mainframe. We have sponsors too that sell helmets and can get whatever brand you want.

I bought my ICON Airframe from board sponsor Jester ( Ryders Connection ) flows LOTS of air and comes with a fog free shield. I put in on in my living room and put my glasses on and withing a few secs my glasses fogged... but not the shield. It retails for $300 but Jester gives people on the org a good price... drop him a PM.

I really like the Airframe. Anyone have anything BAD to say about it? How do the sizes run? I wear a 2XL in a HCJ CL series.

I have the claymore... i bought it to replace my Shoei Z-two that was large. I had to get an XLG for the ICON. So i'd say they run a bit small.

if you go to icon's website and click on a helmet, then click on "sizing" it will tell you how to measure for size

I just picked up a Gmax and it's doing good so far.

gmax_helmet.gif

Luv my scorpion helmet, I paid $139 bucks last year?. I've been told its a cheap and poorly made helmet but actually its the best helmet I've had in 34 years? I really like the fact that it doesn't fog up at all and the shield is super clear and doesn't scratch easily unless you kick it off the curb like I did, LoL...

newenough.com carries the scorpion... http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/1060

For a little over a hundred I just got the GMAX as well. Very clear vision and great for the price. I also have shoie and it doesn't have all the finish work as a shoie but a very good helmet for the price and I believe it was helmet of the year in some publications. I would recomend it.
thumb_up.gif

+1 for Gmax. Kneedraggers.com has them for $107.00. I'm about to buy one, It has a nice fit and yes it did get helmet of the year.

I have a few Scorpion EXO400's and 700's. You can't beat being able to actually pull out all the liner EASILY and throwing them in the washer.

If you shop around you can get an solid color Shoei RF1000 for $300. Its a good helmet; I've had the RF700 and RF800 previously, great venting and protection.

I have the airframe and love it, only downfall, ITS LOUD!! The fit is great when you order it one size larger than you would wear normal. The padding is top notch, the screens are nice. Nothing really bad to say about them. If you want one just let me know and Ill get ya the hook up.

The scorpion is a really nice lid also, I have one of those too. The exo-700 is nice for sure, but the 1000 is pimp, with the flip down sun visor and pump up check pads.

Its your call. If you need any help, just give me a call.

Josh

Ryders Connection

Just got my exo-1000 by Scorpion. Picked it up for $315 including tax. Love the helmet. Only drawback is the wind noise. It is much louder than my HJC but I don't notice much with the ipod earplugs in. That is my daily commuter helmet. I love the flip down visor, it blocks enough of the sun without being too dark and I get to ride with the faceshield up.

get you a shoei tz-r, they can be had for 200 to 300 and there quiet unlike the icon's & scorpions which I own both. rf 1000 is my choice though...

I have the same GMAX like Rock. Good cooling, less wind buffering than my old HJC. Much lighter than any helmet that I've owned. Webbikeworld.com named it "Helmet of the Year" A couple bike mags have done articles on it. 4 Star Rating is what the bike mags gave it. Some say it's a bit noisy,......but I wear earplugs. IMO,....it's a lot of helmet for $107. Note the weight on some of the higher dollar helmets. A heavy helmet really fatigues the neck,...especially on long rides.

Back