Whatever happened to karma?

You had plenty of money in your pocket, yet you wanted this dude to give you the quarter for free so you wouldnt have to change your $5.

How does that make this guy an #######?

Is it because it was just a quarter?  What if he got just enough quarters to air his tires, and wash his car?  Or maybe he had a couple quarters less than he needed, but was afraid the machine wouldn't accept a couple quarters while he was in the middle of whatever he got himself the quarters for.

Frankly, enough people in this world ask someone for a quarter.  It gets old.  Some people adopt the policy that they arent giving ANYONE a damn quarter, just to avoid the hassle of trying to figure out if they really NEED one, or are just some jerkoff bum.

As for Karma, - coming here and bitching about it simply evaporated any karma you may have accumulated by helping that old man.  

If you werent such a phony, you might have gotten some good karma payback, but you dont understand karma, and you think that poor dude owed you a quarter for your decision to help some other old man.
I know everyone has their own opinion, but dont you think its odd that you are the only one with that point of view? Switch places with MC for a minute, how would you react? Its a quarter, if he had a roll, that would be $10. If i were that kid i would be more than willing to give away .25, especially after seeing this guy do a good deed for someone else. The kid couldnt have thought MC was just a scumbag asking for money, he saw MC help push the car with a flat tire into the gas station, and the kid said if he would have known MC was a marine, he would have given it to him. Not that any of that matters, but seeing MC do that kind of thing shows his character and shows that he wasnt just a scumbag asking for money.

Sounds like he needed some act right. Next time punch him in the uvula for being a friggin tard.
ooohrah ! slug! semper! slug! fi ! Beeeyotch! kick! Now go join the navy you squid!
ices_rofl.gif

MC:

A person willing to do something extra for a "marine" or other serviceman is completely appropriate. The fact that you serve this country is deserving of special treatment whether you feel like you deserve it or not.

Many people see you servicemen as guys who have sacrificed for them. So you are not some schlub that asked for a quarter...you are a person that guy respected a little bit extra.

The only reason I said "phony" - was to emphasize that karma is considered an unsolicited and unexpected return on a good deed, whereas you appeared to wonder why you werent paid back for a good karmic deed by the guy with the quarters.

Hey, who knows...maybe the quarters in that guys roll had some nasty germs on them, and you were spared the exposure.

Just kiddin.

KESSLER: I am not phased that I am alone in my opinion, I never morph my opinions to match the majority. However, I would have given the guy a quarter, - I have filled people's gas tanks on my debit card, and handed out $20's numerous times...but I also live in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas is the place where you have to tell people while you are at a red light, that you dont have money for them...even though you have seen them at that corner for several years.

Las Vegas is also a place where you have to start a conversation with your friend as you enter a grocery store or gas station so as not to allow the vagrant outside the door to interrupt you asking for change.

Yeah, I always have money I could spare, but after living in Vegas for 12 years now, - I have a completely different opinion of handing out my money to strangers.

The biggest problem was actually engaging them in conversation and learning through their meth-induced delivery..."Why they need a couple bucks"...and "How they just need it this once to get back to L.A. or Utah or something"...then you see them at the same place a month later.

I am the guy now, who will tell whoever asks me for money outside a place of business, "Sorry, cant help you."

Even though I have 5 or 6 bucks in my pocket. Because the truth is, I am only encouraging panhandling if I give them money.

The MC marine is not who I am talking about. I am just saying I can understand why some people dont give away money, automatically without giving the situation a second's thought.

They may have given away money a million times in their life, and finally said, "no more."

But the question still remains, - if MC had the money, - why didnt he just go cash in his $5 and get 4 quarters out of it. He would have only had 3 left after using it for air.

I can see the guy handing him a quarter for convenience's sake, - but I cannot see wishing ill will or talking negatively about the guy for choosing not to give away his money, for whatever reason he saw fit at that moment.

Wishing ill will and talking negatively is bad karma, in it's own right.

Thanks MC for your service, you are a marine and that is to be respected. But yes, you are a member of humanity, also, and that is to be respected as well.

<!--EDIT|HayaVegas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118942206 -->

I have a simple approach when people beg me for money. I politely say no. If I see that they really need help, I will help them. If they need help, but don't ask, I'll ask them if I can help them. So if I was the kid with the roll of quarters, I would have offered to help you if you did, or didn't ask. That's just being a good neighbor.

I try to treat others how I want to be treated. Someday when I need help, some might offer to help me. It may not be that day (or even when I expect it), but it will happen. That's karma at work. Patience is the key.

The part the erks me is that he offered to help AFTER he found out your a Marine! That's just plain dumb! It shouldn't matter if your in the service, or a veteran. It matters that your human, and he knew you were wiling to help somebody else.

I am an ARMY veteran. I'm proud that I had a chance to serve my country! I'm thankful to all that have done so. That doesn't mean we get special treatment, but a little respect would be nice.

beerchug.gif

I used to get treated in the same kinda way, You'll learn to come back with the punch lines so to speak, such as "No, it's not my bike, but if I don't put any air in it before I get it back for my mum, she ground me for a month" ....lol

That should sort him out and leave him speechless

MC:

A person willing to do something extra for a "marine" or other serviceman is completely appropriate.  The fact that you serve this country is deserving of special treatment whether you feel like you deserve it or not.

Many people see you servicemen as guys who have sacrificed for them.  So you are not some schlub that asked for a quarter...you are a person that guy respected a little bit extra.

The only reason I said "phony" - was to emphasize that karma is considered an unsolicited and unexpected return on a good deed, whereas you appeared to wonder why you werent paid back for a good karmic deed by the guy with the quarters.

Hey, who knows...maybe the quarters in that guys roll had some nasty germs on them, and you were spared the exposure.

Just kiddin.

Wishing ill will and talking negatively is bad karma, in it's own right.

Thanks MC for your service, you are a marine and that is to be respected.  But yes, you are a member of humanity, also, and that is to be respected as well.
Hayavegas-
Again thanks for the comments. Growing up in Vegas, I understand what you are saying. Here standing at the airpump with a quarter and needing two, having to go inside - sure I asked. I didn't walk up to the guy, we were standing together (air pump and vacuum are right next to each other) He was there when the guy was trying to get his car tot he station - I helped he didn't. No sweat. He hears the machine kick off. No sweat. He decides not to give me a quarter, no sweat. My problem is that somehow I became a different person when he found out that I was in the military. I have a heartburn with that..... why he didn't help the guy like I did, don't know and don't care. But again, it bothers me that somehow my miltary service placed me in a different catgory somehow. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it when people acknowledge anyone who serves and I do believe that those who make sacrifices deserve a little something extra....which is why I thank cops and firemen, teachers and other military people for what they do.
But when it all comes down to it, we are all people - and I really took it hard when the guy gave the good on ya comment for helping the guy ...... if I hadn't been in the military would he have made the comment? Maybe I shouldn't even ask. And you are right, I shouldn't have expected some one to help me just because I helped someone else ..... I would help the guy tomorrow if I say him pushing his car.

I think I half expected him to respond the way that he did, which validated my "what is wrong with people impression" ....which is where I think I was wrong in this whole thing.
I was just really dissapointed that the guy watched me help someone I didn't know, but I wasn't a good person until I was in the military......
Oh well Cat's flat. At least I was able to take up server space with my rant!

What really sucks to think about is that more and more of "these" type of people are coming in the military each day it seems.

You know, the ones who aren't here to give of themselves. I call them "takers."

-Bill

awwww, shawn...
laugh.gif
I feel ya, bro. What a shiddy start to the day...

Semper Fi!

MC

After reading your responses to HayaVegas posts I have to say you have a great outlook on life.

I, like you, appreciate the comments I get about being in the military but also like you I neither want nor seek any special favoritism for doing my job.

Back