What year gen 1 to buy?

mike04busa

Registered
What year gen 1 had the updated starter clutch and or any other difference's to make it stand out in reliability? I'am starting to look for another busa :cheerleader:

I would buy an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- Graphite LE edition made just slightly faster than other editions.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):
- No significant changes.

cheers
ken

2003-2007 would all be good choices. The 2002 - at least the U.S. model - did not have an O2 sensor in the exhaust and did not have a PAIR valve solenoid - it had the same PAIR valve setup they have had from the beginning, with the metal pipes above the exhaust valves, the vacuum operated reed setup bolted to the front of the motor, and the hose going to the airbox on the right side. Overall, Ken, a great breakdown, thanks for posting that . . .:cheerleader:

Thank's, I was looking at 02 - 07. I will change my search to 03-07. Hope to be tossing a leg over another one of the best bike's ever made by the spring time!!!!I really miss my 04 busa.

Got one here for you! LOL
Thank's, I was looking at 02 - 07. I will change my search to 03-07. Hope to be tossing a leg over another one of the best bike's ever made by the spring time!!!!I really miss my 04 busa.

The '03 had some minor issues with the starter which was cleared up by the '04 and didn't recur.

'04 or higher!

--Wag--

I've asked this question before as well. I have a GEN II now but I want to purchase a GEN I to tinker with.

IG and Twitter @gumboeatah

Well I guess the search is over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get too excited. I picked up a.......................hold on.....................wait a min.....................2008......................ZX-14

Couldn't pass it up, $2100 but it has a rod knock. 15,xxx mile's. Sorry guy's and girl's, maybe next bike will be another busa. It was too cheap not to but.

Well I guess the search is over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get too excited. I picked up a.......................hold on.....................wait a min.....................2008......................ZX-14

Couldn't pass it up, $2100 but it has a rod knock. 15,xxx mile's. Sorry guy's and girl's, maybe next bike will be another busa. It was too cheap not to but.

There's a reason its cheap !

Back