What year did the microwave oven hit the market?

In what year was the first microwave introduced to the public?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Came across this little tidbit and found it interesting....
I'll give you a hint - Raytheon licensed the technology to Tappan in this year?
Oh and that's correct if your thinking to yourself, hey Raytheon is an aircraft mfg...

MOnsanto House of the Future, was a Disneyland attraction that featured a microwave.....as a futuristic machine that could heat your meals in minutes. it was open from 1957 to 1967.

We ( the neighborhood boyz) were blowing up hot dogs in the first radar range on our block in 1969. My buddy's mom let us hang out in the kitchen and just watch stuff cook! It was a big deal seeing water boil in that thing!

We ( the neighborhood boyz) were blowing up hot dogs in the first radar range on our block in 1969. My buddy's mom let us hang out in the kitchen and just watch stuff cook! It was a big deal seeing water boil in that thing!

is that why u have no hair Ace???:thumbsup:

Raytheon licensed the technology for the microwave oven to tappan stove company in 1952. they didnt sell the 220v unit until 1955 but the more popular 110v unit wasnt sold until the 1960s by Raytheon

I think I read where the first units could cook a turkey in two mins. or less.

wow, was i wrong....??? i must have one of the first that was built into a flat top range. it must be from the 60's or 70's. i didnt even know they had flat top ranges way back then. and its in mint condition. rarely cooked on. probably worth a few pennies.

2015: when people finally come to understand that nuking your food kills all nutritional value, and go back to cooking with regular heating elements. :laugh:

I was gonna say waaay before the 50's but that's when I thought you were talking about microwaves not microwave-ovens.

Back