What would be a fair asking price? Might just sell this one....

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Well guys, after a myriad of problems with it, and now one that won't reproduce for the dealership I was considering taking a hit and possibly selling this bike and then depending on what kind of financial hit I take, buying another. At this point I simply do not find the bike reliable.

It is a 1999 copper/silver. Title when I bought it said 40xxx miles, but odo reads 28xxx. All plastics in good condition except front fender has a slit in it, and seatcowl has a raised area an inch around from brake fluid or something else getting on it.

The existing problem is that it'll die on me intermittently. I rode it 20 miles one day, then went to the gym. Came out from the gym and had it idling while I geared up, and it died. Then would start again but die after a second. So either fuel not getting there or ____. But the problem is at this point I do not see ever finding this bike reliable again.

I put on galfer brake lines front and back, and have the clutch line but it's not on.

I am in Lancaster, PA 17603. I have done some searches but can't find a way to value selling it with the known issue. So I was hoping that since some of you may have bought or sold in these conditions what I could expect to get? Or what would be fair to ask?

Not positive I am going this way, but I am considering it.

Thanks, Happy Father's Day!!

IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:
Since '99 was the first year of the Busa, I have seen a lot of people trying to get way more for them than they are worth. If you want to keep it, I would suggest posting all of the things that have been attempted to repair the problem and also any mods that have been done.(air filter, plugs, performance mods etc...). I'm sure with all the knowledge I have seen on this site there is someone that can point you in the right direction. If you want to sell it, with 40k+ miles, and the problem it has, I would think around $3500 max.

Um, might be silly question..

Have you checked the idle? Should be right about 1150 rpm at minimum. That old of a bike could be bad(old) vacuum line.

Your best bet is to fix the problem or you will probably get low-balled on what it's worth.

Will check vacuum lines when I get the bike back, fuel pump screens and filter were just cleaned less than 500 miles ago and an aftermarket inline filter was added.

Fuel injectors dirty or malfunctioning? That's a classic symptom, i.e. dies at idle unpredictably.

will you trade/sell my those fairings? you could make a fortune parting the bike out compared to selling fyi!

Bring the bike down to me at Metal road Cycles in Waldorf,Md. We will find this problem and eliminate it. 540-223-3785 Paul

Will check vacuum lines when I get the bike back, fuel pump screens and filter were just cleaned less than 500 miles ago and an aftermarket inline filter was added.

were all the fuel filters cleaned an changed.??? Don't give up the ship yet it could be something trivial.:laugh: Un less you jumping into a brand new one an in that case by all means walk away:rofl:

Last edited:
Bring the bike down to me at Metal road Cycles in Waldorf,Md. We will find this problem and eliminate it. 540-223-3785 Paul

Now "THERE" is an O-R-G kind of offer. Don't abandon the Busa, there isn't a universe full of things wrong with it..... :super: A little bit of general upkeep and you have running 99' Copper...... :oldcool:

Last edited:
In a few years a first iteration Busa in stock condition will bring serious $$$. Your bike is worth maybe $7500 now but in five years it will be worth twice that...

In a few years a first iteration Busa in stock condition will bring serious $$$. Your bike is worth maybe $7500 now but in five years it will be worth twice that...

if it is worth that much, you should offer him $6k and resell it for the quick $1500 profit :rofl::rofl::rofl:

advice like this is why people have zero faith in info from internet boards.

srry to burst ur bubble but this isnt a classic muscle or anything like so its never gana be worth more unless you put more money into it

40k isn't unbelievable. try 2 fix her up. selling a bike with a problem that you do not know what is wrong with it is not a good idea. use the process of elimination. I doubt it's something major. get her running good and then decide if you want to sell or keep. the 99 copper is nice :beerchug:

Back