What will happen when I hit top speed limiter?

Mythos

Registered
Thinking about topping out the 08 busa tomorrow. The top speed limiter is not disabled. Will the bike throw a code and go into limp mode if I hit 186 mph? If so, how do I clear the code?

Like others have said, it feels like running into the RPM limiter in lower gears, except instead of the tach indicating 11,600 when on the limiter, it will only be about 10,900.

Never heard that or had that happen on my Gen 2; If you must go that fast then get a Bazzaz "Z- Bomb". it simply plugs into your bikes ECU and tricks your bike that it is still in 5th gear even when it is in 6th - so it will go whatever it can go. It also is a "TRE" for lower gears but I need to check on that some more, some drag racers don't like them but is a good thing to look into. My busa never shows 6th gear anymore! I'm also looking to getting a taller 6th gear put in.

Never heard that or had that happen on my Gen 2; If you must go that fast then get a Bazzaz "Z- Bomb". it simply plugs into your bikes ECU and tricks your bike that it is still in 5th gear even when it is in 6th - so it will go whatever it can go. It also is a "TRE" for lower gears but I need to check on that some more, some drag racers don't like them but is a good thing to look into. My busa never shows 6th gear anymore! I'm also looking to getting a taller 6th gear put in.

TRE's are a fad or the past, WAAYYY better to have the ECU flashed to eliminate the top speed limiter. With an ECU flash the gear indicator still works correctly and the bike doesn't run pig rich in lower gears.

Even when it was the "done thing" a TRE was waaaaay overpriced,
On my modded Gen-1 I spent 20 cents on a 6.8ohm resister,
that's all the early TRE's were, and it removed the rev/speed restriction.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

image.jpg

Tricking your bike in to being in 5th all the time is cool and all to remove the speed limiter. But what isn't cool is the ecu stays in ram air compensation and automatic injects 8% more fuel. Good for 150+mph. Bad at everything less then that. The extra fuel hurts power down low.

ECU FLASH gives you the ignition advance without the extra fuel- except for when it's actually needed.

First off, thanks everyone for the replies. Good to know we don't have limp mode on the busa. The ZX-14's restricts power after hitting 186 and you need to key off/on to clear it.

$50 for a flash? Does this include fueling and all other features of a complete flash?

1 thing will happen...you'll wonder why its limited at all....feels relaxed and totally controlled....look on youtube
second half is the busa flat out

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like fun. I may have to try that but I don't see staying in top speed that long...just until I feel the limiter bump. I start thinking about police around 170..then again, 170-186, I'd be going to jail either way. It will be a fun ride whether I decide to do the top speed run or not. Had this bike since 2010 and never did top speed. I might have to give her up and it would be a shame to have never done top speed. .

Looks like fun. I may have to try that but I don't see staying in top speed that long...just until I feel the limiter bump. I start thinking about police around 170..then again, 170-186, I'd be going to jail either way. It will be a fun ride whether I decide to do the top speed run or not. Had this bike since 2010 and never did top speed. I might have to give her up and it would be a shame to have never done top speed. .

I got news for you, you should start thinking about going to jail around 20 mph over the speed limit. Depends on the cop but at 150 it's almost a sure thing.

You will hit 186mph, the flux capacitor will ignite and you will go back in time to see your parents in high school.

You will hit 186mph, the flux capacitor will ignite and you will go back in time to see your parents in high school.

Sorry to disappoint but I couldn't get myself to do it. It was rather windy this AM and I remembered one side of my license plate bracket is wired together (have to fix that) and this dark smoke windscreen is simply too dark to look through and probably would not film good. I only saw my parents in the 70s. Saw myself too. What a dork! I had to roll off. Identical matter cannot occupy the same plane of existence without disrupting the space/time continuum. Oh well, maybe next time.

We take off the top speed restriction, and add ignition timing from gears 1-4. A very nice kick in the pants.
Thanks, Murderedout07. That might work very nicely for me since I already have a Bazzaz setup and I like the option of self tuning. Only thing is flies. Riding today, I remembered we have to tune flies. I can feel them and I am pretty sure the bike was in A mode. Not bad, but it's there.

When you hit the limiter, the heavens split open and an angel appears to tell you to slow the hell down. lol. Jk ;). Be careful on your endevour, my friend.

Back