What type of coolant?

Super Trucker

Donating Member
Registered
I was changing the front sprocket and removed the overflow tank and let it hang, I went in the house for dinner and when I went out it had all drained out the overflow hose. What kind of coolant do I use? I want to ride tomorrow so no dealership is open, will regular car coolant work or do I have to wait?

I'm curious too, back when I had my SV650, I read it was recommended to use a non-silicate based antifreeze - so I used prestone non-silicate - instead of the normal greenish - it was gatorade Orange colored
smile.gif

Was wondering if that still holds true or is the stuff for the car just fine. (the no silicate had something to do with silicate based ones eroding seals or something??)

it's just normal old green anti-freeze

consult the manual... but if it's green.. you can put green back.. if it's orange.. you put orange back.. and the two shall never be mixed.

50/50 mix of green stuff and water should get ya going..

only takes about 10 oz. or so.. doesn't hold much at all.

Well I use Engine Ice....Very nice alternative....Expensive but a lot cooler running temps..runs about 15 bucks a half gallon...But you need 2 of them because it is premixed. But may have some finding some unless you have a Speed Shop around you.

But as far as coolant. Flush your entire system it probably needs it. I just used a water hose and stuck it in the inlet on radiator and let the bottom hose and water be free and bam it will be flushed in a minute, make sure you do the same to the water point to clear crap out of it.

Fill like Pure Ego says

I have Peak antifreeze 50/50 mix. Im putting green back in green so it should be good right? I noticed there was antifreeze leaked in my garage, and noticed it came out of the rubber hose that wasnt connected on one end. I guess its the over flow hose so its supposed to be hooked up like that. My coolant is really low so Im going to add this stuff and give it a shot.

Found my leak. The plastic tank is cracked in the middle some how. Does anyone have an extra catch tank laying around?

Back