What to look for ?

kennethsbusa

Registered
My dad bought a busa last month and has given me the fever for one in a bad way.So what the questions are,

What do you look for when buying a used busa?

how many miles is too much?

how do you tell if its been layed down?

what do you wanna stay away from?

thanks in advance,and this is a one heck of a site!!!

what i would look for - scratches, dents, rust, oxidation, paint chips, cleanlyness to ensure the bike was taken care of, if there are close to none 2 or 3 minor go for it. also check for uneven tire wear, if the tires look like they need to be replaced very soon tell him to knock of 100 or more for new tires, check the sprocket on the rear tire for rounded teeth.

miles- for myself i would look at less than 15-20,000

you can normally tell if it has been layed down right away by checking for scratches or signs of the bike sliding, peices that are most of the time left on after going down are, handlebar ends, stator on left side, gear box on the right, exhaust sides, check the rims of the wheels,

one thing that always helps is just turn on the bike, the busa makes a lot of weird sounds, but obvious, that doesnt sound right sounds you want to stay away from,

always before you buy, take it to a local shop try and make it suzuki, they can check it out and tell you all that has happened to it.

just use your judgement 7000> is a lot to spend

there are always people on this board that are trying to sell, this would be the best place to find something used because everyone knows everyone.

post pics when you get one

(KanjiBusa @ Nov. 29 2006,19:flamethrowing:) what i would look for - scratches, dents, rust, oxidation, paint chips, cleanlyness to ensure the bike was taken care of, if there are close to none 2 or 3 minor go for it. also check for uneven tire wear, if the tires look like they need to be replaced very soon tell him to knock of 100 or more for new tires, check the sprocket on the rear tire for rounded teeth.

miles- for myself i would look at less than 15-20,000

you can normally tell if it has been layed down right away by checking for scratches or signs of the bike sliding, peices that are most of the time left on after going down are, handlebar ends, stator on left side, gear box on the right, exhaust sides, check the rims of the wheels,

one thing that always helps is just turn on the bike, the busa makes a lot of weird sounds, but obvious, that doesnt sound right sounds you want to stay away from,

always before you buy, take it to a local shop try and make it suzuki, they can check it out and tell you all that has happened to it.

just use your judgement 7000> is a lot to spend

there are always people on this board that are trying to sell, this would be the best place to find something used because everyone knows everyone.

post pics when you get one
+1
beerchug.gif

KanjiBusa is right on.
Other things that I like to look at:
1. look under the tail of the bike if you see a lot of rubber caked up in there and I mean caked in there not just speckled here and there the bike was most likely dragged or at least ran hard.
2. If the pipes are all metal not painted (not the stock cans) look at the color if they are bluish out by the can the bike was defenitly ran hard.
3. Rotors make sure there are no deep grooves into the rotors as they cost extra to replace.
4. Ask if the seller can take the side fairings off (not a hard or time consuming chore) and look for scratches or dents along the frame and engine case.
5. Make sure you get the hump and the seat/grab bar in the deal
6. Reciepts for oil or servicing on the bike, not overly important but it is comforting if they have the info. If they got that info you can probably stop there they obviously care enough about the bike to keep the information.

You should be alright it is normaly pretty obvious if the bike is not right or just plain beet up. Just don't get blinded by the beauty and excitment of the situation and remember there is more than one busa out there.

Be careful get the right wrist mod for the first couple hundred miles and have fun . Can't wait to read your post with pics.

Ride it, lots of second gear issues pointed out on this site. Don't mistake oil and dirt from chain for rubber. Someone accused me of rubber once and I've yet to turn the rear tire. Good Luck.

Nice bike mofuggahere,just not quite ready to buy.I should be ready to buy around the end of january.I would really like to buy a used bike.I feel that I could get more for the money as in chrome or performance mods.All the bikes are the basically the same from 99-07,except the 99-00.

On the second gear,what will it be doing?popping or slipping?What are the signs?

Thanks for the replys so far,Im making a list so keep them coming!!!

Back