What to look for in a used Hayabusa?

Slowstang305

Registered
Since I'm in the market for a GEN II and new to sports bikes, what are some things to look for on these bikes? I'm trying to buy a lower mile bike (Under 10k) still in great shape. Aesthetics aside, what are some things you check for when purchasing a used bike? I figure the basics I would start by looking at the tires, that would kind of give me a hint on how it was ridden vs mileage. Is there an easy place to check the oil to see what kind of condition its in? I would ask for service records if available but if not no big deal.

Thanks

First thing I take note about is the mileage vs year. Then i inspect the frame to check for any damage. Next is the mods done to the bike. Lastly, the sellers age and how they present themselves.

Tires will tell if the suspension was set up correctly for the rider's weight, and you can tell if the psi was way too much or too little, but they really have little to no info on how the bike was really treated.
Unless there's burnt rubber stuck all over the undertail, and you can tell it's done burnouts, which isn't a deal breaker either.
Tires are like sprockets and chains.
They wear out for lots of reasons.
There condition is more, are you going to have to replace them when you buy it, and how much, if any, will that effect the sale price.

I look for any damage, check all fluids, chain, sprockets, brake rotors/pads, look for leaks, take the oil filler cap off and smell (you can tell how old the oil is) and to smell for unburnt fuel. I look in the tank for any rust.

When it is running, I listen for valve noise or any noises which would represent something amiss. I check the clutch (when running) to hear if it is making any odd noises.

I ask for maintenance records and (in my case) have a good chat to the previous owner to get a feel of who they looked after the bike.

Check to make sure the mods done are properly set up and are quality.

I am not that worried about mileage as these bikes are known for being tough and if they are looked after mileage is just a number.

Great thanks guys for the info so far. Oil filler cap good idea, will look online and figure out where it is on these bikes. Mileage is definitely just a number but I want something that hasnt been rode hard and put away wet if you know what I mean. 1k miles vs 25k miles I have a much better shot of getting a taken care of machine.

Since I'm in the market for a GEN II and new to sports bikes, what are some things to look for on these bikes? I'm trying to buy a lower mile bike (Under 10k) still in great shape. Aesthetics aside, what are some things you check for when purchasing a used bike? I figure the basics I would start by looking at the tires, that would kind of give me a hint on how it was ridden vs mileage. Is there an easy place to check the oil to see what kind of condition its in? I would ask for service records if available but if not no big deal.

Thanks
If it’s clean and has tasteful mods, I wouldn’t pass just because it has more than 10k miles. There is plenty of hayabusa in this forum alone +100k miles without issues. Member “scar” doesn’t post here anymore, but one of his gen2 busas (he owns several) has over 200k miles.

Great thanks guys for the info so far. Oil filler cap good idea, will look online and figure out where it is on these bikes. Mileage is definitely just a number but I want something that hasnt been rode hard and put away wet if you know what I mean. 1k miles vs 25k miles I have a much better shot of getting a taken care of machine.
If it’s a 2008 with 1k miles, I would be worried about what issues I might find once I put it on the road, after sitting for that long. I see your point though.

have a LOOOONG chat with the owner.... check and see if he posts anything online... make sure he isn't a d-bag... or named Brett.... don't deal with anyone named brett…. jk

Mileage isn't too big a concern for me if everything else falls into place. Take my bike for example. I daily ride mine since it's the only mode of transportation I have. When i bought it last May, it only had 88xx miles. It now has 20k. Several mountain trips this year but most of the mileage is done by my commute to work. 68 miles one way. Only mods done to it are aftermarket foot controls, hand controls, steering damper, slip on exhaust, and a little lighting. All very tasteful and subtle. All of the body is original Suzuki just like it came from the factory including reflectors and rear fender. It's a 2011 model and has been down on the right side by the previous owner. I am the second owner.

If you found a bike like mine with the same mileage but a 2017 model and the owner was 22, I'd be a little concerned.

The way the seller presents himself tells you a lot right off the bat.

Generally these bikes get taken care of. Owners of hyper bikes in general are particular as to how they are serviced and maintained. That and anything with this much power is respected by the owner (or they'd be dead).

Mods will tell you how it's been used. For example a stretch may be just for show, but a stretched bike with an air shifter has probably been raced. Don't be afraid to cover an aftermarket exhaust tip with your hand for a moment, a loud exhaust can hide abnormal engine noise. Mileage is less important than the manner in which those miles were accrued. If a person lies about something meaningless, they're more likely to lie about something important.
Finally, use sound judgement in your appraisal of the bike. Don't get caught up in any specific deal being "the one". There are many bikes out there, if it doesn't feel right move on.

I have 50k miles on my 2013 its my daily ride . Hayabusa's are like a tank they are solid michines I changed my OEM chain at 32,000 miles and first clutch job at 47,000 miles on its 2nd set of breaks and I get 7000-9000 to a set of tires oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles , and its kept in the house clement, control that's the kind of info your looking for owe not for sale LOL

Last edited:
Check and make sure that if the owner has ever been a member here his name is not aquaman! Come on now who remembers that one?

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/aquabike.108400/

P1010023.jpg

Last edited:
For the record. From the manual. To check the oil a cold engine should be run for three months. Then shut off and allowed to sit for three minutes. Then hold it upright (perhaps get the current owner to hold it up) you can see the level and colour through the site glass on the right hand side of the engine. Also I would put my hand on the pipes to see how warm they are. That is because I like to hear a bike start from cold. But living up here that is more important than other places. Finally and this is purely personal I would not buy a turbo charged bike. There are some really good turbo builders. And others who are not. Turbos can put a great deal of stress on a motor. It might be a mid you want. But I'd rather be the one doing it. Otherwise. The usual things. Rash on the levers and underside of mufflers Given topics mentioned here I'd have a really good look at the underside of the plastics. It seems quite a few have been tipped over. Finally a well maintained stick motor is I think preferable to a poorly maintained low milers. Good luck

Back