what to look for buying a used busa

I would be sure to check the VIN on the frame make sure it matches the title, and that the VIN hasnt been changed to match the VIN on the title. This is known to happen alot. Good luck!!

Welcome to the oRg. There are many things to look at when considering the purchase of a used machine. First, check to see if there are any maintenance records, how often was the oil changed. How good are the tires? Chain and sprockets, do they look worn? Does the chain look neglected, like no lube or rust? Does the engine smoke? How does it shift? Most owners will not let you test ride one without cash in hand, so you need to work this out somehow. Check the bar ends and tips of the mirrors, tale tale signs of tip over or road rash. Check the over all cleanliness of the bike, swing arm, engine, wheels, plastics, etc. Do all the lights work? What mods have been done? If so, are the original parts available and come with the bike? Have you checked to see what insurance will cost you? Dont ride without it, a slow speed fall can cost you thousands. Does the owner have the the hump, rear seat, and grab bar? Check to see if the fork seals are leaking?
Also, after the purchase of a used bike, go change the oil, and inspect and/or replace the brake pads and clutch/brake fluid. Thats all I can think of right now. Do you have any pics?

Last edited:
Where are you located? I'm sure there is a member near to help you out.

Look at long time members and bikes first. Then ask members on what they think. You will get an honest appraisal.

Im in Midland Texas, I have one pic it has 13,*** miles no rash on the plastic or bar ends or mirrors. A stealership has the bike and claim no hump which i really want, chain looked great and it was gold. No apparent mods, stock exhaust and I will be able to test drive it. Im just nervous about the 13*** miles becuse of the maintenance to the engine and what ever else it needs..

Thanks
Richard

vp924853_1.jpg

Here is the pic of it...

I got a spare instrument cluster with 400M on it... guy I know bought his first bike (busa) and lost a leg (crashed the bike)... and then parted the bike out..

(clue being, indicated mileage does not mean much, I would have any bike you buy used, checked by a "trusted" bike technician...)

Last edited:
You can tell a lot just by talking to the person and see if they know what they are talking about or if they are full of crap.???

looks lowered in the rear...? perhaps the owner was short...?

stock pipes :thumbsup:

Don't judge a book by it's cover, though.

I bought an 03 busa with 7k on it that looked like it was neglected for 4 years. Dirty Chain, no oil change for 2 years, and spider webs all over it. I offered the guy $5grand and he took it!!! I told him to roll it out of his garage and get me cardboard while I went home to get my tool, oil, brake fluid and mity-vac. He thought I was crazy, but I changed the oil, tightened, cleaned, lubed the chain and bled the brakes in his driveway before I rode it home.

I spend the winter taking it apart and cleaning it. I bought a manual and learned EVERYTHING about this bike. It was a fun winter and took my mind off missing riding.

I think I got a smoking deal though.

I thought about flipping it, but I love it too much.

Check the owners maintenance records or talk to the stealership about it. Nice bike!

well for all who cares, im looking to spend $6500. for a bike. SO with that in mind what do yall think? I pmed one guy here in texas about his bike but i feel like i was lowballing him cuse it was an 05. The 02 makes me nervous but is a good looking bike. I tried cycletrader but did not have much luck. Any ideas would be great!!!

Thanks

Back