What to do?

ECC Prez

Registered
Guys, I have been wanting a stage 2 turbo for my bike every since I can remember. I drag race every weekend, but also ride my Busa daily. I am definately going to do something major to my bike this winter, I just dont know what. I love the whole thought of a turbo makin huge power and hearing the blowoff valve, but I have been talked out of it time and time again. I am to the point where I am going to spend about 5,000. I am going with a 1397 with headwork and cams unless someone can talk me out of it. I already have rods, a sidewinder, clutchwork and wet nitrous. Basically, I am looking for someone to tell me why I should get a turbo and how much Im gonna love it.. Ha

I found one that a guy had bought from Velocity, and was sellin it for five still in the box. Thats the only way I was going to entertain that thought.

boost will blow your mind. even a stage 1 with stock motor can produce nearly 280hp. Try and get that outta a 1397
tounge.gif

Yeah I am well aware of the power a turbo can make after being schooled by a few of them. If there were any tuners within 100 miles of here, it might make my decision a whole lot easier.

Get up with "streetsweeper" on psycobike,he can point you to a tuner.:;):

Im here on the Outer Banks of NC about as far east as you can possibly go. The closest places I can think of that might have a few tuners is like Greenville or maybe VA Beach. Lemme know you you guys know any tuners close. Id love to chat with them before I tear this motor down.

You are much better off starting with a stage 2. Everyone thinks (me included at one time) that 275 hp will be enough and a stage 1 will work. Then you ride for a bit and want more.

The biggest advantage of a stage 2 system is being able to run multiple boost levels with good A/F tueneable across all boost ranges. With a stage 1 kit setup for big hp, it becomes very difficult to get lower boost levels anywhere near the correct a/f ratio. On my hahn kit I had it made 344 hp with S2000 injectors and about 19-20 psi of boost. If I turned the boost down to 7 psi in the lower gears the bike wouldn't pull past 9000 RPM it would get so rich.

Now with a stage 2 air to air intercooled kit I am running 16 psi on pump gas, have a 6 stage gear based boost controller I built. On race gas I have been as high as 22 psi on the street, holy moly and 30 psi on the dyno.

Greg

Is this stage 2 or 3 Greg? I just want something I can drive every day on the street and then go to the track and run fast. Im not tryin to keep up with Barry Henson or anything, just would like to run somewhere in the 7's in the quarter.

Its a stage 2. To here you say just run some 7's, you have no idea what that will take. A street bike and a 7 second bike do not go together. to run 7's requires lots of hp, and tons of chassis, clutch, suspension tuning etc.

I would be happy to run 8.99 @ 175 mph this year.

Hey Smithabusa ,I think you are setting your et kinda low that would be a good mph but I've been 8.90's on a stock motored street busa with a 6 0ver arm and 40hp shot of nitrous. I second that about it take a lot of hp to go 7's in the 1/4...... I know nice first post.

BTW has anyone talked to Burt lately?
rock.gif

Hey Smithabusa ,I think you are setting your et kinda low that would be a good mph but I've been 8.90's on a stock motored street busa with a 6 0ver arm and 40hp shot of nitrous. I second that about it take a lot of hp to go 7's in the 1/4......  I know nice first post.

BTW has anyone talked to Burt lately?
rock.gif
Yep you can do that for sure on 40 shot etc. But bolt on a turbo kit and go to the track expecting to run with the pros its time for a wake up call LOL.

You don't just turn the boost up and run 7's. Especially on a bike that is streetable.

Greg, I currently run high 8.7's, low 8.8's on my bike now. I know that 7's is a long ways off, but I am willing to take the time and spend the money to do it right. I am a pretty proficient drag racer too. Its not like I have no seat time and think I am magically gonna run 7's with a turbo. Also, I have a really good setup chassis and clutchwork. I would run a full lock up though for a turbo.

Also, I have friends that run 8 teens with a 1397 and nitrous right now. They are only making just over 300 hp with the gas. I would think that 160 more horsepower than that would easily put you a good rider in the high 7's. Like I said, Im not tryin to run 7.2's like Henson, just a 7.99 would suffice. Actually, can I just borrow your bike Greg? Hah...

Too funny. Sure man. Sounds like you know what you are doing, I am not much of a drag racer, but do enjoy it.

Lots of guys bolt on a stage 1 kit and go to the track and wonder why they are running 10's instead of low 8's. Turbos are a different animal to learn to launch etc.

There's no doubt about that Greg. I see guys all the time at the track with $30,000 bikes running slower than I am. They boost the crap out of the engine without ever thinking about making it ridable. I would definately invest in a good boost controller with a seriously progressive lock-up clutch. I already have a race tech suspension and am extended. I think I can get it out of the hole pretty good and hopefully keep the Mickey from gettin blown away down the track. We'll see I guess.

Cool, let me know if you are interested in a gear based boost controller. I put 4 together last night to ship out today or tomorrow.

Greg

Back