What to do if front brakes go out you may ask?

nabusa

Registered
Well I will tell you what happened to me today. So I went to school this afternoon to take an exam. I finished and went towards Maryland for a nice ride....so I thought. Got off I95N toward Waldorf, Md. Car was tail gating me so I put some distance between me and him. No biggy, came to a light and I had plenty of time especially since I have EBC HH pads now. Hit the brakes and nothing ::11 What the hell! Went through my head, crap is what I yelled, pucker factor at maxium, Oh God I am going to die! :cry: I was doing about 70mph, I down shifted to 2nd gear as fast as I could and dropped the clutch, bike got a bit swirly but not stopping fast enough. I hit the rear brake as softly as I could as to not to lock it up. But it still locked up, I remember Tufbusa's thread about the rear brake. So I stayed on the brake and it got really swirly back there, bike finially stopped inches away from crossing traffic and sideways.

I pulled the bike off to the shoulder and toke a couple of huge deep breathes. I walk back to my bike to inspect it to see what the heck happened. I noticed something was different. Oh I know my CF fender I just put on yesterday is gone :banghead: someone stole it at my school is the only place it could have gone missing. I look closer and what happened was since the fender was not on, the brake line was rubbing on the front tire and ate through the brake line. I haven't been this pissed off and scared in my life! I don't even know how I didn't even notice the fender gone. But thankfully I survived what could have been a very ugly event.

Hate thieves someone stole my Chrome trim off my lac at wal mart one time. Glad your okay
Posted via Mobile Device

You should check to see if there was a security camera near where you parked. Sucks about the fender and the brake line.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'll check Monday if they have cameras in the parking lot. I didn't see any but maybe they are far from view.

Wow! Big props to you for not panicing. Now find a moron who stole your fender and do whatever you feel would be right..

That is one of those times you wished you walked out to your bike a bit earlier and caught them in the act. I'd beat them mercilessly. What they did almost led to you being harmed or even killed.

And nice work on keeping it up :thumbsup:

Ya see, there is a time when that rear brake comes in handy :beerchug:

Glad to see you kept her under control! :thumbsup:

And I was thinking I'd probably not ever use the rear brake again. When it started sliding I just remembered not to let go or else I'd probably high side. Definitely had my heart beat racing. I never thought that would ever happen, good thing I wasn't doing triple digits.

Glad your alright, you handled it good though. What sort of person would put your life at risk by steeling bits of your bike, hope you catch the scum bag.

Inspect then ride. Not after the fact. Glad you OK. Not only are there thieves,but people who mess with your ride which could cause damage to your bike and/or you. Just can't trust your ride sitting out in general public places unattended. Not talking about hard core inspection,but a quick one over for thing like nail in tire etc...

Again,glad you are OK.

WTF is wrong with people.All for a fender that wont fit something else.Time for braided lines for sure but still.I always walk my bike before taking off just out of habit.Good you are ok.

Braided lines. I was reading and thinking, pump the lever, pump the lever :laugh: Make sure you wash that bike up good or the brake fluid will do some damage. Check with campus security. They might have a camera that might help you sort this thing out :whistle:

Yeah i washed the bike soon as i got home. I ordered some braided lines from pashinit. On ebay now looking for a fender.
Posted via Mobile Device

That sucks. It kills me how people who steal don't think about anything but themselves. Glad you survived.

Back