What To Check When The Tank Is Off?

SSLogistics

Registered
Hi. I have a 17 year old stock bike. Got a load of bad gas last night and took the tank off to clean it out and was wondering what I should be doing maintenance wise on a bike this old - especially since I have some of it apart right now.

I took the fuel pump out to gain access to and get all the gas out of the tank.

The air cleaner is the factory filter!!! but it still looks fine at 16,500 miles. All I have done is change the oil, filter, chain, and tires in all the years.

Bike runs great, except for the ride home last night after I put a couple of gallons in it and I want to keep it going so any ideas on maintenance is appreciated.

Hi. I have a 17 year old stock bike. Got a load of bad gas last night and took the tank off to clean it out and was wondering what I should be doing maintenance wise on a bike this old - especially since I have some of it apart right now.

I took the fuel pump out to gain access to and get all the gas out of the tank.

The air cleaner is the factory filter!!! but it still looks fine at 16,500 miles. All I have done is change the oil, filter, chain, and tires in all the years.

Bike runs great, except for the ride home last night after I put a couple of gallons in it and I want to keep it going so any ideas on maintenance is appreciated.
Def can do some nice cleaning while in there,

Def can do some nice cleaning while in there,
I went overboard on my bike but... I’d at least change the plugs, air filter, and look any lines over for age related issues. My bike has the goofy early fuel system combined with a rusty tank. I cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel pump, filter, fuel lines, and had the injectors cleaned. You bikes fuel system is better and probably not as dirty. Just give everything a good look over- chafed lines, wires, throttle cables, etc.

look for wear on anything electrical like wires where is may have rubbed against something solid like the frame. any rubbing will be underneath where you can't see it so turn them over to look May not hurt to at least check the plugs for gap. If they are a nice tan brown clean them up reset the gap put them back in I do not know how much a new factory filter is but if they are not a fortune a new one l would not hurt. then you would know where you stand and can keep good records spray everything with ACF 50 to fight corrosion and keep your wires reasonably water proof in the future

I would at minimum change fuel filter, plugs, air filter, and inspect all connections. Might not hurt to replace fuel line while in there too.

Got a can of ACF50 for free....we used it on helicopters all the time...never thought to apply to the bikes....

. . . Uh oh ,
a can of worms
has now been opened . . .

:poke:

#CanOfWorms *

Can-of-Worms-420x270.jpg

Thanks for the ideas.

It also seems time to have the valves adjusted. I do not like messing with something that is running right but then I did not think 16k miles was lots of miles for plugs but the book says other...

I'd take the PAIR out and put on Blockoff plates. Check about the process on the Gen1. I used a terminator plug when I did my Gen2 PAIR. Not sure if it was required but heard it was so I did it.

Back