What the #(*$ was my daughter's school thinking?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
For those of you non-FB members..

So, tell me, why would someone in authority at my Daughter's school decide to show the KONY "Invisible Children" video in it's ENTIRETY to a class of 12 year olds? It's not like 'raising their awareness' of the depth's of human cruelty to children does a single bit of good...the only result is that now my daughter has seen stuff she is not ready to see, can't handle, and she can't even walk outside to the car in broad daylight without an adult present, let alone sleep or stay in her own room by herself. I don't know if the damage is even repairable. And you CAN'T TAKE IT BACK. I am furious....

And folks, this wasn't public school, this was my daughter's private school, that I pay out the azz to KEEP her FROM this idiocy....

Light the freakin grill, cause i'm about to barbeque some AZZ....

For those of you non-FB members..

So, tell me, why would someone in authority at my Daughter's school decide to show the KONY "Invisible Children" video in it's ENTIRETY to a class of 12 year olds? It's not like 'raising their awareness' of the depth's of human cruelty to children does a single bit of good...the only result is that now my daughter has seen stuff she is not ready to see, can't handle, and she can't even walk outside to the car in broad daylight without an adult present, let alone sleep or stay in her own room by herself. I don't know if the damage is even repairable. And you CAN'T TAKE IT BACK. I am furious....

And folks, this wasn't public school, this was my daughter's private school, that I pay out the azz to KEEP her FROM this idiocy....

Light the freakin grill, cause i'm about to barbeque some AZZ....

I am not sure what the video is, but it sounds like something that does no good for a child..... You're the one paying the bills, go speak that opinion!

Sidenote, Barber?

Just did some quick :google: and I'd say your daughter's school was way out of line! I wouldn't want my kids seeing the atrocities in Africa in a class room. I'm not for sheltering my kids from the world, but some things should just be addressed in the home, with parental involvement. You can't just toss a movie up on a screen for a bunch of 12 year old kids and expect them to just "get what's being said" without some serious discussion with PARENTS.

Keith, I'm certain you're not the only parent upset over this. Some school administrators and/or teachers seem to blur the lines between what's appropriate for children in the classroom vs. what their own personal causes might be...

I have not seen the movie myself, but I am familiar with the name and the actions that Joseph Kony has taken part in, or commanded. I would have a similar reaction as you are having right now if a child of mine was subject to the actions of Kony before I felt they were ready and mature enough.

Keep us posted, and good luck in trying to restore faith in humanity in your daughters eyes.

Yes you are in the right. 12 year olds do not need to be subjected to the Koni project. Wish her the best.

I haven't seen the exact video yet; am trying to find out and watch myself. I'm just pissed because I can't UNDO what's been DONE. What's been seen can't be unseen...only mitigated. There's so much dark stuff in this world that I want to shield her from...

I remember watching that awhile back. Yeah, I don't think I'd be recommending it as a fun family film...

For those wondering:

2012 - YouTube[/url]

Cliff notes: It's about a dude in Africa that kidnaps children (kills the parents as well I believe) and forces them to fight for him in some strange fight for control where he isn't supported and is for no cause other than control of, I have no clue. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been over a year since I've seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would they show this and how is it an educatoinal video for 12 year olds?

Some school administrators and/or teachers seem to blur the lines between what's appropriate for children in the classroom vs. what their own personal causes might be...

I think Vabs hit the nail on the head. And that can be a real problem in any school, public or private. Its one thing I always worry about, who is shaping my kids besides me? Just stay involved and make you opinion known to the school.

I think Vabs hit the nail on the head. And that can be a real problem in any school, public or private. Its one thing I always worry about, who is shaping my kids besides me? Just stay involved and make you opinion known to the school.

I witnessed this when Obama was elected. Not going to rant about politics or want this to go in that direction, but my then 2nd grader was coming home and touting what a great man Obama is, and what a great President he'll be. I found it odd, but I honestly dismissed it because, quite frankly, there are bigger things in my life. Well, when Obama's inauguration rolled around, unbeknownst to me, my son and his class (not the entire school) were set in front of a TV to watch the event. It was even captured by the teacher in a photo, all of these little kids gathered around a TV, watching Obama take the oath, and she even made copies for each child and had them laminated. I thought to myself, OK that's a bit much. I truly think she felt in her heart that this was a great moment in history and she wanted to share that with the kids; it wasn't how I felt, nor was it truly related to anything 2nd graders were learning as part of their daily curriculum, but it also wasn't worth creating a stink over. My child wasn't harmed, he wasn't shown anything like skydivr's daughter just was, but still - very clear case, to me, of a teacher pushing the limits of what's OK for kids in the classroom based solely on personal beliefs. :banghead:

"The KONY 2012 campaign started as an experiment. Could an online video make an obscure war criminal famous? And if he was famous, would the world work together to stop him? Or would it let him remain at large?

The experiment yielded the fastest growing viral video of all time. 3.7 million people pledged their support for efforts to arrest Joseph Kony."

Arrest him? F That. TERMINATE him.

My wife is a public school teacher and therefor, a union member. You would be amazed at the political propaganda we get in the mail. I will not go into detail as I do not discuss politics in forums but it makes me sick.

America is fighting domestic terrorists with a radical ideology. The children are being programmed by amateurs.

The only strategy to fight this is the installation of critical reasoning skills in your kids before a psycho gets to try to indoctrinate them. Deal with the aberrational pseudo intellectuals harshly. Nuke them from orbit.

There are real facts, real truth. If you build upon anything else, you fail.

As Carl Sagan said, install a BULL**** DETECTOR in your kids early.

I have ruined teachers over this kind of thing, destroyed them. The ones with an agenda have something to hide.

Go get them, and hurt them. It is war, pull no punches.

Back