What should i have done?

pward76

Donating Member
Registered
I went to bike night last night - first time this year. Met up with some guys - looking at new bikes, mods, yadda, yadda.

A couple of young people step up to the group and are collecting money for the family of a 21 yr old who was killed in a bike accident earlier in the week. (We had another one less than 36 hours later, but that is not part of this story)

As I said, 21 years old - 1st bike, 2006 Yamaha R6, family is on the hook for the bike loan. They are collecting to help pay off the bike. I didn't know much about the accident, but I popped for a $20 on the spur of the moment, and the other guys in the group kicked in a little as well.

Here is my issue. Should I have donated?

I have done a little research and found that the kid was speeding at 2:15 AM, with no lid, and 1 weeks experience. Cops say he was going "very, very fast". Newspapers say the bike sideswiped the bridge abutment (too much speed for a slight bend in the road) and ended up 400 feet away. Kid died next day of head trauma, and the paper says alcohol tests aren't back yet. I would have no problem donating for flowers, or for his kids (if he has 'em), but I'm feeling stupid for donating to pay for a bike that this putz didn't insure. The more I think about it, the more I wish I had done things a little differently:

A) asked if he was wearing any gear and why the bike wasn't insured
B) asked if the family on the hook was his wife and kids, or his parents
C) asked if he even had a motorcycle license
D) taken the opportunity to preach a little gear and insurance gospel to the group of young guys standing around

Based on the answers to A, B, and C, I might have changed my mind about donating.

What say you?

My gut feeling is that it's all said and done now, the kid's gone and his family needs the help...I don't think I'd try to figure out all the what-ifs and base a donation on that...

I lost someone close to me that did a series of dumb things on a bike (drinking, speeding, running from the cops) and he paid for his mistakes with his life 4 years ago this month...just shy of turning 24...he was a great guy, just did some stupid things...

I guess you just go with your gut and if you feel that helping out his family with what's been left behind was a good thing at the time, why worry about it past that? Everyone makes mistakes and this poor kid is now gone...another unfortunate poster child for why not to start riding a bike like that when you're just not ready...

The best you can hope for in all of this would be that his friends and fellow riders learned a very valuable lesson that might save their own lives...

Just my $.02

I would have to say that at that point you were helping the family. It is not the family's fault the squid got killed. I commend you for donating the $20. As bikers we hear all too many times about the bad things that bikers do that we all take the rap for. Your gesture was the right thing to do and is a "+" in the biker column.

JMHO
Don

If you felt like donating $20 at that moment, that's all that matters. Don't look back. Still sad no matter how the kid died. His family could use the $$.

I would have probable kicked in. But did he have Insurance to cover bike? That would have been my biggest concern. If they are on the hook, they cosigned. There should be full insurance on any bike with a lean. Sad for them.

I had a guy at a gas station approach me and say that he was in a bad bike wreck on his Harley (his leg looked like hamburger) he said that the tow truck just took his bike and that he needed money for a cab to get home, I slipped him a 20 much like you did without giving it a thought... later I wondered if the story was true or he was just trying to get some coins using his wound as part of an evil ploy.... so sad how untrusting we are in this day and age... I chalked it up to my karma points had just gone up and forgot about it.....

I think that I would have done the same thing that you did. In you mind and heart you did the right thing for his family and I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you did the right thing the family is in a bind over the kids stupidity. But it is a tragic loss never the less. At least it wasn't just a scam. then I would be pissed

You did good and thats was the right thing to do...I'm think'in even if the kid was irresponsiable and the parents to, you acted out of compasion for them and that will carry alot of weight with helping his folks make sense of the loss of their beloved son.

Kudos to you pward76 and your buddies for donating. It takes a lot for the average person to ask others for money. I'm sure it's not in that family's nature to ask for a handout. You did the right thing. Don't knock yourself out with the details.

I would have to say that at that point you were helping the family.  It is not the family's fault the squid got killed.  I commend you for donating the $20.  As bikers we hear all too many times about the bad things that bikers do that we all take the rap for.  Your gesture was the right thing to do and is a "+" in the biker column.  

JMHO  
Don
Oh yea. I agree 100%.

You did what felt right in your heart, and thats what a good person does. Good for you pward76!

beerchug.gif

My gut feeling is that it's all said and done now, the kid's gone and his family needs the help...I don't think I'd try to figure out all the what-ifs and base a donation on that...

I lost someone close to me that did a series of dumb things on a bike (drinking, speeding, running from the cops) and he paid for his mistakes with his life 4 years ago this month...just shy of turning 24...he was a great guy, just did some stupid things...

I guess you just go with your gut and if you feel that helping out his family with what's been left behind was a good thing at the time, why worry about it past that?  Everyone makes mistakes and this poor kid is now gone...another unfortunate poster child for why not to start riding a bike like that when you're just not ready...

The best you can hope for in all of this would be that his friends and fellow riders learned a very valuable lesson that might save their own lives...

Just my $.02
+1

I appreciate all the replies. Thank you.

It is a sad deal, and I know that the family doesn't need to be paying off the bike that their loved one was killed on.

We just see too many like this, and sometimes it's hard not to get angry about it.

The other fatality was a 30 year old. Crested a hill by a high school around lunch time, came into the oncoming lane for some reason, hit a car driven by a 19 year old. Witnesses said the kid in the car was not at fault, the bike crossed the center line. The guy was an emergency dispatcher at the hospital he was taken to, and where he was subsequently pronounced dead. I wonder how long the kid driving that car will be messed up.

Didn't ride today. Just didn't feel right. Maybe this weekend.

Wear your gear, make sure you have insurance - on the bike and on your life.

Ride safe everyone.

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146887140 -->

Back