What safely gear first?

Blacksmith

Registered
I got a good helmet when I got my bike and a pair of Icon gloves i'm going to trade back in but what would you experienced guys say should be the next piece? I'm thinking boots but have been told a riding jacket is a necessity then some kevlar jeans will be last. So good boots or warm weather jacket next? Is a jacket really that neccessary or just cause they look cool?

I got a good helmet when I got my bike and a pair of Icon gloves i'm going to trade back in but what would you experienced guys say should be the next piece? I'm thinking boots but have been told a riding jacket is a necessity then some kevlar jeans will be last. So good boots or warm weather jacket next? Is a jacket really that neccessary or just cause they look cool?
I won't be the one to preach since I don't wear a jacket quite a bit when I ride but I have seen enough accidents and I highly recommend one. I also started with a helmet and some gloves. Went to a jacket but its 90 degrees all day here in FL and its just way too hot especially when commuting to work. If I were riding in sub 80 degree temps a jacket would never leave my body.

That should answer your question..

ab32ca32d1d875bebce0fffbe9054372.jpg

And I dont wanna be the lame guy here... but If you are at least old enough to ride a bike legally.... its kinda common sense what you are asking about,.... or it should be!

This is just me, but if it’s too hot for me to wear my helmet, jacket, gauntlet gloves, Kevlar jeans and boots, I leave the bike in the garage and take the car.

I won't be the one to preach since I don't wear a jacket quite a bit when I ride but I have seen enough accidents and I highly recommend one. I also started with a helmet and some gloves. Went to a jacket but its 90 degrees all day here in FL and its just way too hot especially when commuting to work. If I were riding in sub 80 degree temps a jacket would never leave my body.
I'm only 30 miles from the Ga/Fl line and right on the coast so it's 80+ 8 months of the year so the jacket will be the hardest keep on every ride but I fo like my skin where it is

What's obvious to some is unknown to others.

Really?
I usually agree with you... BUT we all have ridden a scooter or a little trike or a bicycle as kids...and we all fell off before.
The injuries we got from that transform 1:1 to a motorcycle but in a way worse way. Thats why I call it common sense and it should be very obvious!

I've got the hands and head but i'm thinking the feet should be next especially since that's what would get stuck under the bike in case of a fall.
Less likely to be stuck under the bike, more likely to be flopping around as you slide or cartwheel. But yes, over the ankle boots are a good investment.

Less likely to be stuck under the bike, more likely to be flopping around as you slide or cartwheel. But yes, over the ankle boots are a good investment.
Ok see this is why I ask here among Busa owners, "studies show" that most motorcycle injuries are to the lower legs when the bike pins it to the pavement. I assume most of the reported injuries are from slow moving accidents with cruisers then. I'm just going by what I read online and trying to figure the next best step

Really?
I usually agree with you... BUT we all have ridden a scooter or a little trike or a bicycle as kids...and we all fell off before.
The injuries we got from that transform 1:1 to a motorcycle but in a way worse way. Thats why I call it common sense and it should be very obvious!
Common sense isn't....common. Some people think jeans offer protection on a bike, some people don't wear seat belts in cars etc. What we take for granted as common knowledge or sense isn't necessarily known to everyone. Nothing wrong with asking questions to further one's knowledge.

Protection is important to the whole body
so
do not let your health simply happen..
I have a shoulder dislocation from a stroke to a road accident and I have suffered at least 15 years.
but it happened and I hit it here and not at the feets..
use protection everywhere this is my opinion my friend.

I still on occasion cruise around town 25-35mph(not that I couldn't get serious rash or killed then either), and wear a t-shirt, shorts, shoes, and always a helmet, yes, I know the risk, and this has become rare the older I get. Anymore, I am almost always in full leathers.
Which I've always worn for any actual real riding(again yes, most accidents happen close to home, but I like my slow cruise in a t-shirt to the gas station or fast food).
I have to laugh at the guys wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket, regular shoes or riding boots...and regular jeans!
Don't you value your knees and skin on your legs? Kevlar may save skin, but needs knee protection too.
As well as, and most importantly, I don't want my manhood road rashed off...let that sink in.

Back