What next!

We would probably be the first country to do away with teaching our kids how to communicate on more than one plane. Many languages have several written forms of language and teach them all. It broadens ones capabilities and expands the mind to new frontiers. Sure I want my kids to be able to type or 'keyboard'? but I'm happy to say my son will learn it starting in second grade and my daughter has been able to do it since fourth grade. Public schools here are able to decide on their own whether or not to teach cursive and many choose not to. Both my kids now go to a school that teaches it and believes in it.
Writing in and of itself in cursive is a beautiful thing.
Can you print poems? Love letters? Memoirs? Like Russel said Calligraphy is a beautiful form of writing. On my fathers side the Arabic language has several forms of writing and a couple are themselves considered art when properly done.
In the end my main reason that I want both my kids to be able to write cursive is so that we can communicate properly in our cave after the zombie apocalypse comes. What will all you keyboarders do then, huh , well ? Huh Mnnyaaaahhhh :)

I agree with Saiid 100000000 pct ( personally loooking at the doing away with decimals movement myself:laugh:)

I think writing is an "art" as much as a method of expression. It saddens me to see these skills taken away from our children...to me its like saying there's fast food, and microwaves so no one needs to learn how to cook...you can't replace the feeling of reading a letter and knowing the other person actually took the time to write it, not type it. I STILL write my family letters and although my cursive has become somewhat spastic over the years they still appreciate that they can open an envelope, read the letter and save it.

Just MHO..and maybe just Saiid's but not something we feel should be lost..

I'll add something else...

When MC MUstang was deployed, along witha SHT load of movies:laugh:and other goodies, I sent him a very nice set of paper and envelopes to use when writing to the kids. In MY eyes, having his kids get a letter, hand written from Dad would have been one of the best things they could have gotten from them..of course next to a phone call or him coming home...but I digress...

My hope was that he would use it, and that his kids would save those letters as cherished memories...thats the importanfe I put on it...

I havent written in cursive since elementary school... it is quite useless except for a signature.

If I wanted to write a poem I would use the fancy cursive font type :rofl: A little humor? :poke:

I'll add something else...

When MC MUstang was deployed, along witha SHT load of movies:laugh:and other goodies, I sent him a very nice set of paper and envelopes to use when writing to the kids. In MY eyes, having his kids get a letter, hand written from Dad would have been one of the best things they could have gotten from them..of course next to a phone call or him coming home...but I digress...

My hope was that he would use it, and that his kids would save those letters as cherished memories...thats the importanfe I put on it...

I still have all the letters my parents and my girlfriend sent me when I was in summer camp.

Pretty sad if you ask me...

Decades from now, when Americans can't read our Constitution, I wonder if we'll see why this was a dumb idea...

Last edited:
They wonder way American keeps failing behind the rest of the world. I agree there is no real need for cursive. What is next stop teaching English and math?

Things keep going this way we might be back to people signing their name with "X" :banghead:

We use digital signatures now :)

I'm all for it. And just to keep things real, they just removed cursive... not writing completely. Writing may have its place but I see that it's place is next to drawing. Typing skills are much more important today than writing in cursive. Since I graduated high school in 2002, 90%+ of my work is typed. the other 10% was me signing something or filling out a form that just gets scanned in and converted to text anyway.

My school taught both. Then again they also covered our keyboards with cloths so we had to learn by touch. It doesn't take that long to learn. I must admit I need to spend a few minutes figuring out what my grandma way writing.
Am I the only one noticing how many replies we are getting via monkey devices. Ironic.

GUILTY

Sent from my GSB v3.6 ODEXed using Tapatalk

They wonder way American keeps failing behind the rest of the world. I agree there is no real need for cursive. What is next stop teaching English and math?

Well we all know English is an outdated form of communication.
It is not our Natl language and we can just use 'text talk'.

Example:
My BFF came over and lol'ed me till I said omg lemme alone. He said ttyl.

:laugh:

Well we all know English is an outdated form of communication.
It is not our Natl language and we can just use 'text talk'.

Example:
My BFF came over and lol'ed me till I said omg lemme alone. He said ttyl.

:laugh:

This made me laugh. I have had a theory that communication is reverting.

We started with writing letters then progressed to the telegraph morse code, on to telephone, wireless house phones, emails, cellular phones, now we are back to code via txt and less talking. Soon we will be back to writing and it will be a mix of cursive and txt speech. This should be exciting. :p

So what happens when the electricty goes out? Not sure how but a back woods redneck like myself somehow managed to learn cursive and typing...

I remember years ago standing at a checkout stand and I knew the kid working the register.. The display on the register was out and this kid could not make change to give back, heaven forbid if you handed him a 20 and needed your change back..... The man in front of me was in his 60's and he talked this highschool kid through the process....

I just find it amazing that as a country we really think that using a pen and paper is so old that you don't need it anymore...

Let's hope an EMP never goes off...

Back