What mods should I do on my 1st gen Busa?

six6nine9wpk

Registered
Hello, I'm new to the forums, but I been spying around here for sometime. I plan on buying a 1st gen Busa this winter and I have some extra cash. So before I start buying parts I wanna know what I should buy and what I shouldn't buy. I used the forum search and did the research, but I needed to ask some questions first hand. So here are some parts that I was interested in, but wanted to get some things cleared up before I started buying stuff.

TRE - I heard that this mod was a waist of money. Wanted to know why people felt this way.

Power Commander - I have read that a power commander is a waist of money on a Busa.

Air Box Mod
- I thought a k&N Filter was were it ended, but then I come across all of these various types of filter mods.....ie small box mod, air box cut out mod etc....... So I wanted to know what mod was the best?

Exhaust - I really don't wanna spend 1000 on a exhaust if it's not necessary. Are there any moderately priced exhaust systems that give you the same results as some of the more expensive exhaust systems.

Magnesium Wheels
- Are these worth the money?

ECU Mod - What exactly is this and how does it add to your performance?

Any other mods worth purchasing or knowing about. Thank You in advance!!

TRE - waste of time, fools you bike to thinking its in 5th gear map when you in 6th, possible lean fueling in 6th due to RAM air not correct

Exhaust - Slips will give you great sound but no performance gains, the restriction is in the headers, best to save and get a full system, which you like and fits your budget

Power Commander - Is a waste if you have a tuner in the area that can dyno via ECU Ed, if there is no tuner close to you that uses ECU Editor, then look at PC5, otherwise use the money for something else

Air Box - Stick to small mod and air filter unless you are doing LSR or have a big CC engine the small mod is the one to stick to.

Mag Wheels - you lose unsprung weight and makes the bike turn easier, if you are not experience riding a busa then dont waste your money, put it into a good exhaust system

ECU Editor - well there is to much to go into - Check this link Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa - ECU hacking

Just my .02cents

What are some good handling mods?

Get the suspension set up for your weight and riding style/preferences. I paid a local shop $35 to do it. If you have extra $$$, upgrade the factory steering damper.
P.S. Equally important are the brakes

if better performance is what you want there is no cheap way to do it and do it right. I would go with a full exhaust with a custom tune using an ecu editor if you can find someone who is good at it.. if you get a brock exhaust you can buy a pc3 and get a map from him that will do just fine. still an ecu editor is better. it can address many issues that a pc3 cannot. air box mod and get rid of the pair valve. but again i wouldnt do it unless you are getting a new exhaust. you will loose weight on the exhaust as well which will help. ....i think this is the first thing to do to get better performance. after that you can crack the motor open and well at that point its just a matter of how high your credit limit is.:laugh:..
other things i did besides motor work is getting steal brake and clutch lines and getting the brock clutch mods. I only did the clutch mod for drag racing issues. otherwise you dont really need it for every day riding. I also got crg shorty levers which feel better. The brake lines will give you better response as well.
a tre isnt benificial in my opinion. Boost by smith has a simple plug and play mod for that, that will remove the restriction by making 6th gear think its 5th. all other gears are normal. maybe a different air filter but there is many different opinions whether thats very helpful at all. I wouldnt do the wheels unless you have done a lot of engine work first. they are expensive. maybe ceramic wheel bearings but again what you get in speed versus the cost of this is questionable.

the more you do, the more you can do. Its never ending but bang for the buck i would start with the exhaust. there are several that are quite good. I have the alien head myself and love it. study the different areas on the org. there is a lot of information here that can guide you in the right direction.

That said, before I would by anything I would make sure you had all of the proper gear. helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and pants. its part of the :rulez: for me at least. No performance can be better than your safety..

and welcome to the org:welcome:

definatly do the ecu flash
exhaust i prefer yoshimura
4acp clutch mod
air box mod
jump out your kickstand switch or bend the tab i had a problem where it did not bend far enough and kept turning the bike off.

Before you spend dime one, what is it you want to do with it? Drag Race, Tour, Track Days, Cruise it makes a huge difference. Once you can target what you want, then you can direct resources (not all of which are financial) at improving those particular aspects. I am of the opinion that comfort is paramount to any riding experience so I personally started there. Followed by brake and suspension upgrades. This site is a treasure trove of information for all of these mods. Your not alone in wanting to do immediate performance enhancements to a Hayabusa. Engine performance can unfortunately be some of the most expensive mods you will do on a performance/$ basis. Whereas simply re-springing the forks and setting SAG F/R will be among the best in that respect. Some folks are just looking for better sound, so a set of Bolt on's will provide that at a typically lower price point than a full exhaust and the necessary tuning that goes along with that. Getting the ECU re-flashed can be a very cost effective performance enhancement, that ticks alot of boxes all at once. All depends on what your looking for.

Welcome to the ORG! and enjoy!

kickmod-jpg.7239.jpg

Don't think the dates are out of wack. Just new people getting their first gen 1. Although the thread is 5 years old the information is still accurate.

Back