What kind of gearing?

BigBadBusa08

Registered
Im gonna change out my sprockets soon, just for $hits and giggles and i was contemplating the thought of going for different gearing. I dont do high speed runs, so im not worried bout losing top end, i usually never see the high side of 150. When i had my 600 i dropped 1 in the front and went up 2 in the rear and got some very nice pull off the line, it was still very nice on the street. Not that the gen II needs more bottom end, it couldnt hurt. I was wondering if the -1/+2 on my 08 would be ok for an everyday commuter and give me the satisfaction im looking for. All inputs welcome.

I thought about doing this, but after I did it to my fireblade, the fuel economy dropped a bit, and it's probably more of a factor since it's a 1340...
Makes it a lot more fun though!

my bike is at 17-45 right now. -1+2. i think it would be alot for a stock height and wheelbase bike. i would just get one now and see how you like it. with my bike lowered it would still power wheelie first and im 250.

I put a +3 in the rear a couple months ago(Gen2), and I really liked it. I added a -1 a couple hrs ago. It's definately a little quicker, and the gears obviously run out quicker. I like to ride wheelies, and had no problems doing them with stock gearing. The +3 made them even easier, bike felt like it had alot more torque. Now with the -1 down too, it feels as if it has less torque, but is quicker reving, like a smaller engine. 3rd gear wheelies are now easier. I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it was cheap enough to try.
I've always heard that -1 in the front is equal to +3 in the rear, but I disagree. I've ridden many combinations on lots of bikes over the years. I think with just one down in the front, it doesn't feel as if it has as much torque, as opposed to just +3 in the rear.
The +3, and now -1,+3, hasn't hurt the daily driveability of the bike. 1st gear also feels much stronger with just the +3.
I'de recommend trying the rear first, then adding the front, or at least doing them one at a time. It gives you a much better feel for changes that way.

since you commuta on it I assume that includes some highways. try the +3 in the rear first. If that's not aggressive enough then think about an additional -1 for the front.

Back