What Kind of Boots

dnolder

Donating Member
Registered
I'm looking to get some boots for riding. I definitely want to be able to go someplace and still be able to wear them. Where I live I don't have any shops closer than 2hrs away so I'll be ordering them over internet. I'm looking at Sidi Strada's and Alpinestar S-MX Goretex. I'm looking for opinions on these and any others you guys use. I also have high arches so I need something I can get on.

I just purchased the Sidi Strada boots 2 weeks ago, and very satisfied with them so far, very easy and comfortable to walk in, the boot is mostly plyable leather with hard type plastic areas for the heel, shin, and anlkle bone areas, soft sole, and a hard and thin type "patch" on top of the boot where your shifter will rub. A very light weight boot that I would classify as maybe a agressive style sport touring boot with fairly less protection than a race style boot ie; no metal or outside toe protection and the Strada has much thiner and smaller plastic protective areas than would a race styled boot.
but I still give them a thums up, Very nice and comfortable for day to day riding.
There you have it....Curtis T's Review!!
thumbs-up.gif

Sidi makes very nice stuff, don't think you'll go wrong here. Might take a couple of tries to get the right size however............

I am wearing these Prexport's . I love 'em . Gr8 on the bike , gr8 when yer poundin' the pavement too . Boots ...in my opinion have to be awesome on and off the bike . They hafta do the job on the bike....but when ya get where yere goin...chances are , yer gonna hafta walk around a little .
I chose these for their tuffness..gr8 ankle protection...vents for cooling....sliders....toe caps....flex points....zipper an' velcro(they aint cummin off)....shifter pads...yadda yadda yadda .
Like all other gear....buy the ruffest,tuffest,meanest thing you can afford(and not die in, heat wise). PICS COMMIN'

Rubberside, The boots look good.
What I would like to find though is a pair that offer the right kind of protection but are stealthy enough to wear around the office all day. The problem I have is sizing, it''s hard to guess how a pair of boots are going to fit from any given manufacturer. Bike shops hear in Tampa really seem to skimp on the leg and footwear. Not many options and I am getting tired of riding in Levi Jeans and Combat boots.

Rubberside, The boots look good.  
 What I would like to find though is a pair that offer the right kind of protection but are stealthy enough to wear around the office all day.  
I'll get the boys at the shop right on it , and I'll have a look thru the catalogs myself . Probably find ya sumthin .

i have the alpinestars smx plus and they are the bomb. really comfortable and have a tight fit. i can shift alot smoother with them and they are lighter than my old prexport.

Hey Dnolder,

I just recently purchased the Sidi Strada Tempor Evo's. These are some real nice boots. They are very comfortable and fit nicely under a pair of jeans. Fairly light and they do provide good protection for shin, heel, ankle, and toe. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks.

Brian

I bought a pair of Prexsport last month. They are very comfortable both on and off the bike. I found them on closeouts from Dennis Kirk for around $110 (better than $300). I thought it would be nice to buy blue to match the bike. Only one problem, my wife won't be seen in public with me while i'm wearing them, LOL. My advice buy black. Chris

Exactly, that's why I'm looking for black. The comments so far have me leaning towards Strada's. The prexsports are very reasonably priced though.

Hey Thanks Rubberside,

I think I might try to find someone who sells Sidi locally get a good idea of fit, then go from there. Sidi I think, has a few styles that offer some decent looking options and decent looking protection in a stealth black kinda theme that shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Of course then I will want something a little more burly for playtime...I dunno, I gotta do something, because the combat boots may provide some foot protection, and are hella better then sneakers, there is very little real padding in the ankles...

Be careful with the army boots. They don't have any ankle armor. I have the smx plus and they are soooooo comfortable. They do have armor all around them. Where this is important is on a low side where you don't get away from the bike and it tries to grind your foot off underneath. After all, if you get away from the bike, the shoes don't get scuffed that much (your leathers do) and any shoe will protect OK. The boots help too on highsides and flailing tyoe falls where a flying foot get whacked against the pavement. The armor takes some of the hit. Getting into the smx boots is tedious...kind of like putting on ski boots.

I have spent an entire day in the smx pluses and found that they are as comfortable as any high ankle shoe. The test was taking them off at night and there was no throbbing "barking dogs!" Very comfortable.

Back