What kind of a parent buys their 11 year old GTA 5?

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
I mean seriously, am I in the wrong here? I think it's completely irresponsible.

I've never played any of the GTA games but I hear they are pretty Mature on the rating.

some will disagree with this mom too

mom-daughter.JPG

mom-daughter.JPG

That's not the same thing. In GTA your shooting a 'video game' gun at 'video game' people.

The picture depicts a child learning hand eye discipline. :laugh: A real gun at real 'targets'. Replace the gun with a bow and arrow and does it illicit the same response?

Just an observation.

some will disagree with this mom too

View attachment 269796

Idk Bots? The same parents who stick their kids in front of a TV and not monitor what they are watching or let them sing along to songs with suggestive lyrics etc. Etc. Your gonna have a helluva time trying to shield your kids from the violent over sexualized world that we live in 2day. You put your foot down and they will just go over 2 Lil bobby's house and play it there cause his parents don't give a Damn and so on and so on. I really don't think video games are the biggest problem. You can turn on the TV and on basic cable channels @ any point during the day there's a soap opera on with sexual scenes, violence, a law & order playing on 1 of the 13 channels it's syndicated on featuring rape and murder, a reality show of some sorts with people making complete jack azzes out of themselves and the list goes on and on... GTA is but a small peice of the dysfunctional puzzle of our society :whistle:

That's not the same thing. In GTA your shooting a 'video game' gun at 'video game' people.

The picture depicts a child learning hand eye discipline. :laugh: A real gun at real 'targets'. Replace the gun with a bow and arrow and does it illicit the same response?

Just an observation.

until some kids decide to take the video game and moms gun outside and shoot real people.

I'm not saying video games are the biggest problem, but it is one thing a parent can control. "Not in my house." That was my parents motto, and will be mine.

I'm not saying video games are the biggest problem, but it is one thing a parent can control. "Not in my house." That was my parents motto, and will be mine.

I think that's the best you can do. I grew up in a house like that. That's how my house has always been.

I get what your saying Bots but I was just merely pointing out that GTA and other games aren't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. What makes GTA an issue is this exact thing.... the media, parents, activists, etc. Raise a fuss over it which in turn generates a Buzz about the game and if your kid wasn't aware or intrigued by it before he sure as hell is now.... he's gonna want to see why he's not allowed to play it, what's so bad about it, and just 4 the plain simple fact he was told not to will pique his curiosity even more

And stealing cars, robbing banks, raping hookers...

Since I pretty much agree with the mix if ideas here. I can only refer you to the judge Judy post. It's only rape if you don't pay.

I think not allowing it in your home is enough to make a kid realize that although it may be fun in the game. The actions in the game are not ok. And it's all we can do anyway.

I had a long post done up to contribute, but got rid of it and will substitute it for one short statement.

Parents are responsible for raising their kids as they see fit, unless there is abuse or neglect involved.

I held out for a long time on even having XBOX in my house, because I felt better about games offered for kids with the Wii. Simply put though, your kid will be exposed to WAY more than you even want to know about on the school bus, in class, in gym, in the mall, at movies theaters...my boys wanted HALO, and it's only on XBOX, so I finally caved and bought it...they now own nearly every first-person shooter game you can name, and I kept telling myself initially "they're killing zombies, it's OK", or "it's just shooting aliens" so I'm good. I found I was trying to justify to myself the reasons I was allowing them to play these games to feel better, and my ex doesn't approve to this day. However, I'd much rather know what they're playing and have the opportunity to see it for myself over just wondering, and trust me, if they aren't playing it in your house, they WILL be playing it at a friend's house, and you can't control that. You may not ever even know he's playing it elsewhere...

So, I've had talks with both of my boys, now 11 and 13, about violence they see in video games, and how some kids don't understand the difference. I have watched them take to guns like a duck to water, and OMG, they are great shots right out of the gate, first time, ever, hit-every-target and even impressed the volunteers at the local gun range saying "Ummm, I think these two pass!" So yeah, some may find it irresponsible to buy such games, but I find it even more irresponsible for any parent to ever think "Not my kid" because your kid will do what others are doing, they will cave to pressures, they are exposed to everything "cool and hip and new and exciting" daily at school, and there's nothing you can do to stop that exposure short of home-schooling and duct-tape. I'd rather be proactive and completely involved in what they're playing over pretending it doesn't exist. I'd rather have the open and honest discussions about what they're doing and seeing over just ignoring it and hoping it never comes up. I truly believe the kids that are denied things like this, or the ones whose parents don't take an active role in what they're playing, are the exact kids that do develop problems, that blur the lines of what's real vs. what's not.

I do find it curious, though, that most of society, myself included, has decided violence is better than sexual content...I am finding that even I stop at "contains nudity or sexually explicit content" in rated M games, and won't buy 'em for my boys, but shooter games and blood and violence is OK? I struggle with it, but yeah, that's kind of how society is. So, as for GTA5, nope, I won't buy it, but I have purchased rated M games over and over for my two for 2 years now.

I recall being just like you when my boys were young, wanting to wait for just the right age to do more age appropriate things, but the simple fact is 1) I look at things I was doing and what I knew by 11, and my jaw drops and I wonder if my boys know the things I did...and 2) you cannot control what your kids are exposed to once they hit school, no matter how hard you try...you'll see as your son gets older. I trust you'll also see the benefit of being more involved in what he sees over pretending it's not there at all. Trust me, it is, and trust me, he'll be surrounded by it even when you've convinced yourself he doesn't have a clue...

ive always thought that the more you keep from your kids the more they want to do it. Let em have it and theyll get bored after a while .BUT then again i dont have kids so i could be completely wrong.

Just because kids are exposed to stuff via the outside world, doesn't mean a person should hinder their morals inside their home. I for one didn't let my nephews buy the game because of it's content when they were younger. You can still teach your kid wrong from right and still let them be exposed to the reality of the world. Trying to shelter a kid only hurts him later on, but games where you rape hookers and such are a bit to much for a developing mind.

I bet a ton of parents bought this game for their kids and have no idea really what's in it.

I had a long post done up to contribute, but got rid of it and will substitute it for one short statement.

Parents are responsible for raising their kids as they see fit, unless there is abuse or neglect involved.

thats pretty much it. its not like there's a manual or reference book on how to raise kids

Back