What is your profession ?

Yes kiwi rider you’re right. It can get scary I have had a situation where patient coded during surgery and we had to revive patient as they went a-systolic, more so because of preexisting conditions and recreational drug use, the surgeon had to actually put the hand in the chest and massage the heart to help aide the patient revive. sad but true.
All jobs are not equal, some are more important than others. I think we all know where your job falls on that spectrum!

I took a COO position with a waste to energy company. We use waste tires to make among other things, coal additives used in anything that burns coal.

So in my infinite wisdom and always looking for more end uses, I took it upon myself, to venture into reopening a shuttered regional power plant located about 50 miles from our site. Served about 135,000 homes.

That resulted in some Wall Street interest which taught me about power generation and how to get into that business more than I expected.

If that goes forward I'll be in the power generation business. The first plant in Tx. that uses 100% tire derived fuel to generate power. I'm not sure what I'll call myself then. But it will be fun trying to wear that hat also.

Power Generation is a whole new world of things to learn. Selling power back to the grid is an eye opening new thing for me.

At 59 in 2 months, I feel like I'm starting a whole new career. Everybody else is retiring.

I understand, but if you're that stressed or miserable at work, is it worth putting in 12 more? Only you know the answer to that....
I agree with you Mr. Brown. I think you know what to do Ali. you just need to pull the trigger or else it will be a life of what if..... I know it can be hard when your partner is not in it with you. My girlfriend has been supportive as well and it makes it much easier. My suggestion would be have a partner that is cooperative or do it when you're single.

I trained and worked as an aircraft mechanic and got to work on some very cool machines over the decades but three years ago decided that I'd had enough of aviation and the crazy that permeates it and walked away. Not sure what I was going to do, I happened to mention what I'd done at my favourite local motorcycle shop and they hired me on the spot. Now I work with fun people in the spring/summer/fall and have winters off to do my own thing. It's pretty great even if the money isn't as good. There's definitely more to life than money though, my sanity is priceless!

Ironically, I returned to aircraft maintenance April 1st. Guess I'd had enough of a break and needed a break from my break! :p

Don’t remember if I responded to this. Stay at home dad of a special needs kid for the last 5 years. Now that he’s a teen and able to adjust to social environments better, I will be getting back to the workplace after the new year. Hopefully my hiatus is not frowned upon by perspective employers.

Don’t remember if I responded to this. Stay at home dad of a special needs kid for the last 5 years. Now that he’s a teen and able to adjust to social environments better, I will be getting back to the workplace after the new year. Hopefully my hiatus is not frowned upon by perspective employers.
Any employer who frowned on a hiatus like that ain't worth working for....
You're a good Dad.

My dad was a truck driver for many years when I was young. I basically grew up in a truck. What kind of truck? pic?
I was an O/O until '96 when the price of fuel went up to $1.34 and I knew I couldn't make any money with fuel prices that high. Had a 377 Pete of course! I've been a company driver since with a Freight Shaker! When I did the numbers between fuel and maintenance, the only way I could make more now as an O/O than 30yrs. ago would be to run 48 and Canada again. I like being home everyday and the weekends now!

Well I guess I’ll contribute to this thread as well, I’m the Director of 5 county area program (one of 16 within the state NC has 100 counties) that does what is listed below:

The North Carolina Early Intervention Branch (NCEI) is a part of the N.C. Division of Public Health. It is the lead agency for the N.C. Infant-Toddler Program (ITP). The Infant-Toddler Program provides supports and services for families and their children, birth to three who have special needs

Children aged zero to three with certain levels of developmental delay or established conditions, and their families, are eligible for the ITP. No family is denied services because of the inability to pay

Our vision for families and caregivers of children enrolled in the N.C. Infant Toddler Program is that they will be able to help their children reach their maximum potential.

Our mission is to provide supports and services to families and children to help them be successful in their homes and communities, by using every-day learning opportunities. We will respect the diversity of families and use evidence-based practices to guide our work.

I’m also involved in statewide and national policy development and implementation or committee work and serve on several via being appointed by the Governor.

Back