What is your Internet Speed?

through a VPN ...

SpeedTest.png

Living on an Island makes it feel like being back in stoneage. 10 years ago in germany we had already 150 mbit download.
Now in canada we finally got upgraded to 70 mb download and 11 upload from the the 50 mb previously.

(at least adult material doesnt buffer anymore.... :laugh:)

Somebody is going to have to explain to me why my PC is 10mb down and up and my phone on the same wifi is 100 down and 10 up.

Hi Doug,

Curious how this works. So the box you show has fiber going to it. But then is there also fiber going to the modem? Or is that box the modem?

Hey there Andy,

The fiber is actually terminated and converted from fiber to Ethernet outside the house. There is no need for a modem just a really good router that can handle at least a 1Gb WAN connection. Several years ago I added a Netgear R9000 at my house that has a 1Gb WAN and 10Gb SFP port along with link aggregation. I have the 10Gb connection going to my media center and I have Link Aggregation set up with my SAN so I can move 4Gb through it for streaming etc.

It's actually much easier without the modem or gateway.

I had cable with 300mbps at the old house, then moved to acreage in the country recently. Only satellite available at 15mbps for $70 a month. So I decided just to use my phone as the router from a hotspot. Getting down 30mbps and up around 1.5mbps and it does everything we need. Needless to say that the luxury of watching streaming movies is no more. But my internet is free.

It will be interesting to see how this changes once 5g really takes off.

Last edited:
We had to pay $14,000 to have the fiber optic lines ran out to our farm year ago through charter. Since spectrum has taken over our speeds are...
@1pm 19mbps
@2pm 297mbps
@3pm 100mbps
@4pm 8mbps
@5pm 540mbps
@ the next 3 days - we don’t know why your net is down our lines are fine it’s probably your modem since it’s not the one we issued you that can’t even handle the speeds you are paying for
@ the 4th day - oh there was water leaking into the junction box leading to your place. Sorry everything is fine.
Repeat this loop Indefinitely.

I thought a modem is always needed. Are you sure there isn't a modem in the box you show in the first picture in post number one?

There will always have to be some termination point to make the change from Fiber to Cat 5 which in this case is the ONT on the outside but it's not a "Modem" as the world knows modems. Think of the ONT as a module that can convert that fibert to cat 5, video, copper for telephone or any other connection you might have at your house.

There are some places that still have external ONT's that could be considered "Modems" because they are little boxes that manage connection and training speeds back to the CO. I suppose you could call any temination device a modem, NT1 for frame relay as an example.

Back