what is the right tool and part to do the job right.? rotors and bearings

jch364

Registered
Ive looked at some of the threads on bearings replacement and it looks kinda daunting. Nevertheless i was going to try to do my rear bearings on my 06 busa. The fronts were replaced by Wheelers a few days ago. Now I need the back done. Are there any specific tools needed and what bearings.? oem. aftermarket.? Does it matter.?
also i have to replace my rotors in the front now they are warped because of the front bearings going out. I was thinking of Galfer.. any thoughts/?

Knock the rear bearings out with a hammer and punch, and/or a large socket. It obviously doesn't matter if you damage them. Just be careful not to hit any part of the wheel or spacer, (if that wheel has a spacer between the bearings).
For putting the new bearings in, the best way is to press them in on a hydraulic press, as any impact will damage them. They need to be pressed in with an impact socket or preferably a piece of brass round stock the same diameter.
OEM bearings are fine.
Rotors are a preference, Galfer makes good stuff, so does EBC, and a couple other companies. Buy what you like. I would replace the brake pads with new rotors also.

Is there a certain depth to press the bearings in or just all the way

The bearings will only go into the depth until they are seated.

I use a blind bearing puller to remove them, and use a socket to match the outer race to hammer them in. Some use the old bearings instead of a socket. Put the new bearings in the freezer before installing and make sure as you are putting them in they are going in straight. I bought my blind bearing puller at harbor freight and it has held up well so far.

I always buy OEM bearings/seals and check them at every tire change. I usually keep a set on hand for my bikes when they get some mileage on them. My 02 Busa has 37K and I last time the wheel was off, the carrier bearing on the sprocket had a ruff spot so I replaced it, but I left the 2 wheel bearings since they were still smooth. If it was a front wheel and I had one bad bearing, I would defiantly change both.

I did all that and sometimes when I have my tire off I feel them and they turn good still but have a little rub it feels like only been on for about 4,000 miles and I put them in with a socket the right size and went till they stopped could it just be cause there not oem

Back