What is the lightest, smallest,

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I was just thinking of all the touring bikes out there.... Goldwing, FJR1300, KAW 1400, Busa, and many more, who has the lightest, flickable, fastest, yet "TOURABLE" bike? Wondering if that even exists?

Seems like all the long distance and somewhat comfy bikes are these bike bohemeths with bags on the side and 200 extra pounds of stuff. Anyone make a tourable LIGHT bike?

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a gsxr1000, and adding pegs, windscreen, bar risers, nice seat, and a tank bag.... then I could have the lightest touring bike - AND still keep killer speed and agility.

TALK BACK.... GO!

IMG_8567-GSXR.jpg

pic stole from PASHNIT

i toured on a 1k. No risers either ..
I made lots of stops on count of my legs cramping after a few hundred miles .
IMO when you start adding risers , big fluffy seats and lower pegs you are defeating the purpose and just might as well go get something not so hard core ..
Oh yeah ,my first post here at this fine forum and yeah Im on a busa now .
Still feeling it out (300 miles) but like it so far . Corners and brakes better than expected .

hey welcome to the ORG! my opinion is adding comfy parts to a 1000 just makes.... a Comfy 1000!
biggrin.gif
doesn't take any speed or feel away. and that is what the touring bikes lack. I've done everything I can on my Busa and podnering something smaller, but the only part I would be loosing is TOURING. On the Busa, *I* still needed to gas up and stretch legs every hundred miles.... the bike could have gone further but not me.

When I bought my busa, there were no speed options. now, 1000's are practically there, but lacking touring comfort.

Any other options?

We have a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom - great all around, do almost everything type bike. Also available in a 650. Lots of add-ons and mods available. See addl owner / rider info @ http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/index.php

It's not exactly a looker but it grows on you - especially if a dealer lets you take one out for a spin...

aww common Doyle, could almost get two of the 109's for that bimmer

Sport touring is a mind set not a motorcycle.
A 1000 set up the way you describe would ROCK!!!
super.gif

cheers
ken

The Bike I was looking at half heatedly before I bought my Busa was a Ducati ST4S. This is what a Sport Touring Bike ought to be. Chain Drive, Full blown (back then anyway)996 Superbike Motor, Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, Marchesini wheels, decent hard luggage etc. Then Ducati pulled the plug on it and made do with the ST3 series. I predict they will come out with a new version with the ~1200cc version of the 1098R motor within the next few years. This segment is getting a lot of attention now. And while all this is going on Suzuki has ignored the entire segment. So us Hayabusa owners are forced to "Roll our own", which works out just fine but I have to think that Suzuki will enter the fray soon.
thumb_up.gif

For me it was a toss up between the Honda VFR, another Ducati ST
winkold.gif
, a ZX14  
sadnews.gif
or the BUSA
laugh.gif
. Nuff said  
shutup.gif
about what I picked, and I do really LONG RIDES (Planning a trip later this month back to the East Coast and a Border to Border ride in March) and find it really meets all my needs and wants
ThumbsUp.gif

Hayabusa touring bike...Zumo, XM radio, Helibars, Corbin seat, Buell pegs, Ventura luggage system. Raydog

Img_9404_Doyle_1000.jpg

Honda VFR'S can do a pretty good job of getting you to a destination and then mauling the twisties when you get there. Any bike will work if you can stand the ergonomics long enough. I have seen plenty of Gsxr 1000's and ZX- 10R'S and R1'S packed up with bags.

I should have specified top of line power and handling is a prerequisite. that's why I got a busa. but now the liters nearly equal the busa top end and power with a more agile bike leaning closer to what I orginally wanted: the perfect bike that does everything. now the busa DOES still fulfill that job description, but it is very large and heavy now days. I might want to try something smaller/lighter, but don't want to loose touring or long range abilities, OR hyper speed. With the weight, the Busa is "smoother" feeling, but I don't think there is reason a liter can't be smooth also with some additions, yet retain killer power when asked for.

Just wondering if there were any other levels like the busa out there but newer and lighter

Back