What is the easiest way to shave the rear turn signal/splash guard

gearhead77

Registered
I recently bought a stock 06 and really don't like the rear turn signal assy. What is the easist way to shave the turn signals/splash guard on a budget? Any and all help is welcome. thanks

I didn't shave turnsignals but I did remove plate and bracket then took a hack saw and shortened mud guard, the slid bracket and tag up higher

Cost = $0

uploadfromtaptalk1321754465988.jpg

This is my signal light mods on a cut fender.

Hayabusa tail modified - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I used a Dremel, razor knife and a lighter to clean up the roughness.
Left just enough to reuse the old bracket(flipped up side down) with two new holes made to hold it on.
Some crappy pics...

Cut Tail - 3.jpg

Cut Tail - 2.jpg

To add. The tail material is pretty flexible. You can score(enough to make a grove as a guild line) it with a knife and just cut a little deeper each pass till it cuts through.

busa186 & Strife would get a $1k ticket down here. "No solid back plate" said Miami-Dade Popo when I was parked with a couple other GSXRs that had altered their tag mounts.
So to be the law abiding citizen I am, I cut (dremel) my fender even with the bottom of the tag and followed the contour up to the underside eliminating the factory turn signals and got a Clear Alternatives tail light with integrated turn signals (Popo said OK).
You may want to check your local laws before cutting.

busa186 & Strife would get a $1k ticket down here. "No solid back plate" said Miami-Dade Popo when I was parked with a couple other GSXRs that had altered their tag mounts.
So to be the law abiding citizen I am, I cut (dremel) my fender even with the bottom of the tag and followed the contour up to the underside eliminating the factory turn signals and got a Clear Alternatives tail light with integrated turn signals (Popo said OK).
You may want to check your local laws before cutting.

That would suck.... a thousand dollars!! I don't think I took anything away, I just cut around the plate. That's still the stock mounting bracket.

That little mod makes what they call 'improper display of tag' in so many words. No one was cited in our case, but we got educated!

Remove plate bracket turn it up side down slide it as far up as it will go and drill new holes.

IMG_0273Small.jpg

Draw a line around the bottom of the upside down plate bracket and the signals creating a pleasing to the eye radius and trim off excess with a dremal.

IMG_0272Small.jpg

IMG_0254trim.jpg

cheers
ken

They just passed a law here in VA that if you change them from stock they have to be 13" apart to pass inspection. Not sure where you live but if you get it inspected you might check into that.

I cut the plastic and left enought to flip the metal bracket over that holds the plate on and bolted it the plastic I left.
Then I bought these little turn signales that are mounted on the sides. The signals were pretty cheap, like 20-25 for both.
This is the only pic I got of the rear ATm.
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Remove plate bracket turn it up side down slide it as far up as it will go and drill new holes.

IMG_0273Small.jpg

Draw a line around the bottom of the upside down plate bracket and the signals creating a pleasing to the eye radius and trim off excess with a dremal.

IMG_0272Small.jpg

IMG_0254trim.jpg

cheers
ken

Same as what I did took less than 30min and looks.nice

+1 on the dremmel.

I cut mine first a bit lower (practice) then just wacked it off and cleaned it up.

Piece of cake really.

Back