What is required for drag racing.

turbobusa2000

Registered
What are the typical things needed to take a bike down the track. Was thinking of taking my bike to the track and wondered what I should start doing to get prepared for going down the track.

I don't care about lowering or extended swingarms or technique, just what safety requirements need to be met to allow me to go down the track a few times.

Here's what I would assume, teathered kill switch, safety wire (what should be safety wired, is it required), full leathers and boots, helmet gloves.

Any help would be cool, I tried calling the track today but no one answered otherwise I might not have asked.

Dan

Some tracks its needed you can simply shoot a small screw in your kill switch+ wire to your jacket zipper or gloves.Or you can buy one .Thats 1 I use thing on right.
THat cotter pin pulls out motor dies.
2e5jgk3.jpg

Why would you want 1 ? Ask this cop.
- Police bike spin around. Funny![/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Some tracks its needed you can simply shoot a small screw in your kill switch+ wire to your jacket zipper or gloves.Or you can buy one .Thats 1 I use thing on right.
THat cotter pin pulls out motor dies.
2e5jgk3.jpg

Why would you want 1 ? Ask this cop.
- Police bike spin around. Funny![/url]

Funny vid btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know about Great Lakes Dragaway but here in Missouri at our little local strip there are only two rules for bikes:

1. No oil leaks (rarely see Harleys racing here)
2. No drinking while racing (rarely enforced)

:whistle:

call the track you are going to go race at.. (requirements can vary a lot)

really IMO the best thing you can take with you is some one that has been there before.. (most calming to new drag racers)

Gear, is really all for your own benefit. I have seen tracks that let guys run 9 second bikes in sneakers and levi jackets.. (shame shame)

Suggest full leathers (2 piece are ok as long as zipped together)
full gauntlet glove
over the ankle boot
Good lid

Oh and most important... a camera :)

+ 1 with what MrBogus said. My local track(Englishtown) told me if the bike is capable of over 125 mph you must have full leathers,gloves,boots,teathered kill switch and of course an up to date helmet.
Also if you run quiker than a 9.99 seconds You must have an NHRA or some type of sanctioning body license. Best advice call the track and find out B4 you go.
Good luck and hold on:thumbsup:

there are different rules for different types of tracks, IE. nhra, ihra ect....we have a 1/4 mile ihra track here and they requir leather jacket, gloves some type of boot and a kill switch is optional untill you make a 9.9 second pass then you have to have a kill swith and leather pants as well

Im planning enter prostar @ Indy.I would say tight as it gets on tech.

I cut the thumb out my glove to have better feel on launch button.I figure better buy new pair.They might not let that slide.

It may vary by state, but in Texas all you have to have is a DOT approved helmet. Most riders use leathers or at least a jacket and gloves. Kill switch is optional here. Have fun !!

Danny:thumbsup:

If your track tech guy has half a brain you won't need a tether kill on a busa (or any other fuel injected bike...) As stated your requirements will vary from track to track, at very least I wear full leathers, helmet, gloves, and boots. I'm not a safety nazi by any means, so I will tell you to wear as little gear as they require, or as much as you feel you need.

:poke: tip over sensors do not always shut the bike down....teather kill switch is a must buy

:poke: tip over sensors do not always shut the bike down....teather kill switch is a must buy
They do when the bike tips over, and assuming they haven't been epoxied and are functioning correctly. A tether could malfunction also.......
Point being, a knowledgeable tech (even at an NHRA track) will not stop you from running an otherwise compliant injected bike because you don't have a tether kill.

Well I called the track and I need the follwing:

Full leather ( zippered if 2 piece )
Gloves
Boots
Helmet
Kill Switch

If I go quicker than 9.99 I need a NHRA licence.

Back